International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM

What Steering box came with what?

back in the day, I rebuilt the steering box on my 77 Cherokee... the hood was still off from doing an engine replacement, so when my rebuild failed I got to watch power steering fluid fly 50' in the air and coat the parking lot I was driving in. this event convinced me that I was not qualified to rebuild a steering box... off to the junkyard I went... they produced 3 steering boxes out of cherokees that were not as beefy as the one that was origional to my Jeep. the biggest identifier was that they only had 3 mounting holes, and mine had 4. It was a Recirculating ball unit. (I'm pretty sure when I put it back together I was short 1 ball) anyway... when the junkyard finally came up with my steering box, it was off a J-20 truck. Our Cherokee had the factory towing package, with tranny cooler, a/c, cruise, tilt, 360, th400, qt, low range, 4dr.
my question is, what option made it so we ended up with the heavy duty steering box? or was it just a fluke that the junk yard was able to produce 3 lighter units off of other cherokees?
and was that steering box the one that I read about people using to put into their CJ's when they add power steering?
Just Curious, so I ask the pros.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

J20 boxes were beefier than those used in the J10's,wagoneers and cherokees. Its possible a previous owner had swapped one in place of the original

'80-91 boxes had different hose fittings (o-ring vs '79 and older flared fittings),but other than that , out of the dozen or so boxes I've seen from wagoneers,cherokees and J-10 trucks ranging from 78-87 they are all physically identical.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Just an FYI, my 76 wagoneer box has a 76 on it.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 AM

I think the yard was trying to give you boxes off of something other than a FSJ. Good thing they had a J20 there. That's a better box than the rest of the FSJ's got.
I think all the boxes from FSJ's are 4 hole mounts. .
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT
I think all the boxes from FSJ's are 4 hole mounts. .
Me thinks so too Tom.

We have a couple standard size here for spares because I ain't qualified to rebuild one either. I got a kit once and then looked into the process and said eh-eh...
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Me thinks so too Tom.

We have a couple standard size here for spares because I ain't qualified to rebuild one either. I got a kit once and then looked into the process and said eh-eh...

Remember the thread by the kid who was trying to rebuild one? Showed pics of all the innards, WOW. Kid was having trouble getting it back together right & someone suggested checking the TSM. His response,"what is that?", next post was "I think I see the problem"
360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
Manual windows/locks/seats
Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 AM

we were origional owners

it was shipped from factory with J-20 box... just trying to pin down why.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S
..I'm pretty sure when I put it back together I was short 1 ball.
You know, its very important to keep track of those.
I have yet to see an FSJ with a 3 bolt power steering gear. Not saying they don't exist.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 08-19-2008, 02:48 PM

makes more sense now.

he may have been pulling steering boxes off of some other jeep... but as I recall... and I don't have the book anymore... the TSM had a teardown for both boxes. but I am hazy on that...
I just remember when I was rebuilding it... I dropped all the ball bearings, then stopped and cleaned the garage for 2 days looking for them... I was convinced I had them all, till I tried turning the wheel. all the clicks and clunks even felt like a ball was missing out of that loop. it was a neat system where every other ball was made out of a different material, dark, shiny, dark, shiny... and I should have known when I was done and had two dark ones together that there was one missing. oh well. I am still puzzled about the 3 bolt boxes, maybe they were off of CJ's or something like that. It also comes to mind that in the TSM (I am hazzy on this) that the box with 3 holes was not a Recirculating ball box. The box did have a variable gear, and part of me wonders if that was an option... but I am guessing it was standard.

glad you guys are up on your steering trivia.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
FSJ Maniac

The FSJ box will have a 76 cast in it and use flare fittings and have 4 mounting holes. There is another common box on GM cars that uses o-rings and has a 92 cast in it with 3 mounting holes. Oddly, only 3 bolts are used to mount the FSJ box.

I wonder if the junkman pulled them off an XJ Cherokee.
'69 Super Wagoneer
'75 J10
'79 Cherokee S WT
'75 Cherokee
'61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 AM

Hmmm.....I though all Saginaw boxes were the recirculating ball type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"