International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 03-09-2021, 03:24 PM
232 I6

Seat resto advice...

Complete premium resto on a 1987 Grand Wagoneer (that was written about in "Jeep Shorts," Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i3 )

Anyway, after $8k in paint, then another $1700 in vinyl siding and wood (and incalculable engine/driveline rebuild)..., need to redo seats. Seems no one has the correct color of leather, so thinking of having them done in vinyl leatherette. Two fronts, sand colored with typical cracked leather, tears in drivers seat.

Anyone making a cover to replace the stock, or any covers even worth using?

Suggestions on shops that "might" have the right color leather for reupholster?
"Jeepjake" on this site 20-years ago, did the first Ouray Invasion (stuck on Imogene pass, wrote a story about it), then subsequent Uninvasion the next year. Been working on Jeeps 50-years, have had a Jeep of one rendition or another all my adult life.

Last edited by TomJ : 03-09-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:44 PM
327 Rambler

I had a thread here asking the same Qs weeks ago, and I called numerous upholstery shops, wagoneer resto shops, and others, and NOBODY makes a stock appearance kit without you having to drop some serious coin, to the tune of $3-4.5k depending on materials.

If you have the coin, then great, but to hopefully drop the price maybe you can reuse your covers for a template and hopefully reuse your existing carpet and fabric. Plus leather dyes can get you very close to original. Contact local shops and see what they offer.

Katzkin does a great cover kit thru BJ's, which is how I went, and am very happy for it.
https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Katzkin-S...ble_p_943.html

See my build thread in my sig for pics of what kind of nice kit you can have custom made by them. It's not stock by any means, but it was at least $3k cheaper than anything else I could have had made.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 03-09-2021, 05:54 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob

See my build thread in my sig for pics of what kind of nice kit you can have custom made by them. It's not stock by any means, but it was at least $3k cheaper than anything else I could have had made.

OMG, mine was almost pristine when I started..., I can't imagine starting from where YOU did! Dear gawd man!!!

Well, mines for the primo-crowd market, so I need to get as close to stock (and better in most cases) as I can. I'll check out BJ's. LMK if you need any little BS parts though, I have 40-years of odds and ends...
"Jeepjake" on this site 20-years ago, did the first Ouray Invasion (stuck on Imogene pass, wrote a story about it), then subsequent Uninvasion the next year. Been working on Jeeps 50-years, have had a Jeep of one rendition or another all my adult life.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:06 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ
OMG, mine was almost pristine when I started..., I can't imagine starting from where YOU did! Dear gawd man!!!

Well, mines for the primo-crowd market, so I need to get as close to stock (and better in most cases) as I can. I'll check out BJ's. LMK if you need any little BS parts though, I have 40-years of odds and ends...

LOL, yeah it's been a labor of something akin to love. And thanks for the parts offer, I'm pretty close now to having everything I need, thankfully.

I kinda figured yours was a bit higher end resto after seeing you have more in paint than I do in parts starting from almost nothing.

The local shops to me were able to find color-matching leather (or could dye it to get a match), though you need to buy the entire hide lately due to the ccp virus. The biggest cost was just in labor to recreate the patterns, etc., and none of my carpet or fabric was reusable, as it mostly just fell apart when handled.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 03-09-2021, 07:46 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
LOL, yeah it's been a labor of something akin to love. And thanks for the parts offer, I'm pretty close now to having everything I need, thankfully.

I kinda figured yours was a bit higher end resto after seeing you have more in paint than I do in parts starting from almost nothing.

The local shops to me were able to find color-matching leather (or could dye it to get a match), though you need to buy the entire hide lately due to the ccp virus. The biggest cost was just in labor to recreate the patterns, etc., and none of my carpet or fabric was reusable, as it mostly just fell apart when handled.

The BJ's ones look like they'd do an acceptable job, but I don't need the rear done, it's pristine, just need fronts and $830 is pretty steep, since I can get mine custom done to perfectly match original (though leatherette, not leather) for about half of that. And new padding to firm everything up. And adding seat heater...
Old 03-12-2021, 11:35 AM
232 I6

So..., BJ's pretty much blew me off in suggesting any Katskinz colors that might match my "Sand" interior. "Answer: We don't recommend colors, but you can order samples here: ..."

Called Katskinz to order a swatch card and couldn't get past, "You can look online" (colors are different in every monitor and phone I have). Then asking what YMM I have, then stating they don't make them for my vehicle anyway. Explaining that I was ordering from a retailer who deals in only jeep parts only led back to her saying she could, "walk me through" looking at the swatch card online and my once again explaining that colors are rendered differently in every phone/browser and won't be very accurate. Gave up.

So..., who can suggest a Katskinz color that is close to our "Sand" interior? Vanilla? Ivory? Parchment? (Someone who has sand and also katskinz would be ideal...)