International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 09-06-2021, 03:55 PM
258 I6

Running an engine on a stand

Hey guys.

Some may have seen in another post about the 258 engine I bought to rebuild and swap into my Cherokee.

I got to thinking that I don't know how good this engine is and if it really needs to be rebuilt.

I am going to do a compression check on all cylinders to see where it's at.

I would love to run it and see how it sounds & what the oil pressure looks like.

Wiring it to start, supplying fuel isn't an issue but while it's on the stand I can't put on the flywheel and bell housing so I can't mount the starter.

Think maybe ya could get it to spin and start using an impact on the front crank bolt?

I guess I could make a wooden cradle to hold the engine on the floor and install the bell housing and starter....?

Any input would be appreciated.

If the cylinders are all good, it has good oil pressure I'm not sure I will even rebuild it.

Maybe just stick a new water pump on with a timing set just so I don't have to worry about those and use it as is.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:35 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

dunno brother, if your rig is setup for the engine - just drop it inn and see?, building a cradle is possible, but you have to cool it, run power and gas and live with a open exhaust? and how are you gonna crank it over?. I think your gonna spend more money fabbing up something than dropping it in ? its only take you 2-3 hours to put it in right?

steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 09-07-2021, 10:39 AM

Not only the above, but you'll have to figure out a way to anchor the whole thing down to keep it from torquing out of the cradle or the whole mount set-up.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:48 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwire
dunno brother, if your rig is setup for the engine - just drop it inn and see?, building a cradle is possible, but you have to cool it, run power and gas and live with a open exhaust? and how are you gonna crank it over?. I think your gonna spend more money fabbing up something than dropping it in ? its only take you 2-3 hours to put it in right?

steve

It used to but with my health these days it will probably take me 2 days.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:28 PM
out of order

find a bellhousing/flywheel/starter
strap it to a pallet
Old 09-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
find a bellhousing/flywheel/starter
strap it to a pallet
This. I have done this with VW engines, too. Pallets are almost free, you probably have some ratchet straps, and when you are done, you can toss the pallet.

You can use a flex plate and starter too. Flexplates are usually cheaper and easier to find. Any AMC trans can work. Find a TH400 for cheap? take a torch to the bell housing to get the chunk off that you need.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 10-01-2021, 09:44 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood65

Think maybe ya could get it to spin and start using an impact on the front crank bolt?

is.
No, the dynamics are different. A starter uses torque and leverage to turn an engine. An impact tool uses inertia. An impact tool large enough to turn an engine would be many times bigger (more mass) than a standard 1/2drive tool. With such a tool the engine would still not turn as the very high impacting load would be transmitted through the small bolt, the result will be stripped threads or broken bolt.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?