International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-21-2021, 03:50 AM
258 I6

1991 Tailgate Window Troubles

The tailgate window on my '91 has been nothing but trouble since I first bought it. It recently stopped working completely, so I got the glass down to repair it.

It now works (electrically) perfectly, from both the front and rear switches. Even the safety switch works correctly.

I realized whilst working on it however, that the glass had once again pulled out of the lifter bar.
The lifter bar is in rough shape, but we just needed a temporary fix until we can get a new one, plus new glass (this glass is very, very scratched). We have used some silicone sealant to bond the glass into the lifter and it has worked great.

The problem now is that the lifter bar is binding on the tailgate just before the glass gets to the top.
The lifter catches the inner sheet metal, causing it to stop about 1/4" before it gets to the top. I have temporarily removed the inner wipe whilst I await a replacement, but that hasn't helped and it still gets caught up.

I noticed as the glass goes up that the window doesn't touch the outer wipe at all, so it looks like the glass is running out of alignment.

I can't figure out how to adjust this though. The side channels in the tailgate are in perfect shape, and I've played with the adjustment on those with no effect.
The tailgate itself lines up great as it closes.

What could be causing it to bind up like this?
I'm getting very frustrated with this damned tailgate, and just can't figure it out!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
1974 Ford F100 390
Old 09-21-2021, 05:51 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynjminjones
The tailgate window on my '91 has been nothing but trouble since I first bought it. It recently stopped working completely, so I got the glass down to repair it.

It now works (electrically) perfectly, from both the front and rear switches. Even the safety switch works correctly.

I realized whilst working on it however, that the glass had once again pulled out of the lifter bar.
The lifter bar is in rough shape, but we just needed a temporary fix until we can get a new one, plus new glass (this glass is very, very scratched). We have used some silicone sealant to bond the glass into the lifter and it has worked great.

The problem now is that the lifter bar is binding on the tailgate just before the glass gets to the top.
The lifter catches the inner sheet metal, causing it to stop about 1/4" before it gets to the top. I have temporarily removed the inner wipe whilst I await a replacement, but that hasn't helped and it still gets caught up.

I noticed as the glass goes up that the window doesn't touch the outer wipe at all, so it looks like the glass is running out of alignment.

I can't figure out how to adjust this though. The side channels in the tailgate are in perfect shape, and I've played with the adjustment on those with no effect.
The tailgate itself lines up great as it closes.

What could be causing it to bind up like this?
I'm getting very frustrated with this damned tailgate, and just can't figure it out!

I would have to look at how my lifter bar sits in the tailgate window with it all the way up, and if I remember at lunchtime I will. I have my inspection plate off right now, because I am doing a lot of work on my GW, so that would be easy. But if it has expanded to a larger size than what it should be or if it is warped in some manner, it could be catching on something and holding it from going up all the way. The only adjustments I know for the alignment of the window are the two screws on each side of the tailgate for the inner tailgate channels. If you still have my email and could send me some pictures of what you have going on back there, I might be able to help out a little more.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:25 AM
232 I6

Just throwing some ideas out there...

-How is the alignment at the bottom of the tailgate?
-How is the window alignment against the window wipes and sheet metal when the tailgate is open and rolling the window up (tilted slightly away from the Jeep so it doesn't catch the guides and hit the body)? Still binds?
Old 09-22-2021, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Mine catches like that at the top too, annoying.

There is an alignment procedure for the fuzzy rails in the tailgate. They are held in by those 2 screws in the edge of the tailgate. Loosen those screws just a bit so the fuzzys can move just a little. Then close the tailgate, put the window up and down several times. Crack your tailgate open a just enough to tighten those screws. That should help some.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-22-2021, 02:42 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

mine did it, i ripped a thin slat of wood and stuck it between the body and the gasket so the windows travel is slightly less

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 09-23-2021, 03:29 AM
258 I6

Thank you all for the help. I think I've found a workaround for now until I get it sorted a bit more permanently.

The tailgate itself aligns really nicely, and I've already tried the alignment on the fuzzy rails inside the tailgate. Unfortunately it had no effect.

If I raise the glass with the tailgate down (and catch it by hand) it doesn't catch at all, as the weight of the glass holds it far enough away in that position.

What I discovered is that if somebody (sitting in the cargo area) pushes the glass outwards at the bottom just before it gets to the point that it catches, it will go all the way up with no problem.

I've managed to replicate this by wedging some shims in the groove between the upper felt channel (the one that goes around the edge of the window when closed) and the body of the car.
I put a shim on either side, right at the lower edges of the channel. A shim of about 1/4" was all it took, now the glass goes up and down properly.

It doesn't feel like a proper fix, but it will do for now!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1974 Ford F100 390
Old 09-23-2021, 07:52 AM
out of order

sounds like the seal that goes into body is worn out?
Old 09-23-2021, 09:18 AM
258 I6

I think that must be a factor, I just can't figure out why it didn't do this before.

On second thought, I did make a bit of a mess of the lifter channel! Maybe I've tweaked that just enough that it now catches.

I'm going to keep it as-is for now, but I've got another lifter channel on its way, then I think I'll get a new window cut out locally.
I've remembered that my window is from a much older Wagoneer, which apparently had thicker glass!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1974 Ford F100 390