International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-19-2021, 06:10 AM
232 I6

Great idea. I am on it !
Early model with razor grill
Spring Green exterior (original)

Custom series interior
Old 09-19-2021, 06:15 PM
232 I6

9-19-21

Today was mostly about cedar. My wife and son are putting up some cedar at the hunting cabin. So my only accomplishment was when we got home and we got the radiator out for the 75 mile trip to the radiator shop. 3 core here we come. The heater core is going with us. The transmission line that plugs into the bottom of the radiator pretty much fell apart as I took it off. I really doubt I am ever going to find that beast. It has a brass nut on each end. I will get a picture of it soon. No picture of the bad radiator as it is wrapped in black garbage bag and loaded into the van ready for the shop after a trip to the doctor tomorrow. Ah, doctors, my favorite people in the whole world. I could probably buy a new Wagoneer for what they charge. Oh well. More pics to come when we remove the seat and deliver it to the upholstery guy. Willow is out of the running for a couple weeks. Time to take a pressure washer, firehose, scrub brush and anything else I can think of to the inside of her. We've got rust encapsulator to spread and dynamat to put down. When it's clean enough to venture into it, we can see why the back window refuses to move.....

Custom series interior
Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 AM
232 I6

Ahh, I can smell the cedar from the pic.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:32 PM
232 I6

It smells just as you can imagine.

Custom series interior
Old 09-20-2021, 02:43 PM
Administrator

I read somewhere, square body chevy fans are the same as ours. There may be an upgrade for them that will bolt in?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-20-2021, 04:49 PM
232 I6

9-20-21

Just a pic of the front seat before she heads of to the upholstery guy tomorrow. The radiator and heater core were delivered to the shop today.

Custom series interior
Old 09-20-2021, 04:51 PM
232 I6

I found the info and it says a PM102 fan will work. However, if you put the original cage on it the fit may be too long. I need to find the fan cage that fits the PM102 blower but had no luck last night.

Update 9-21-21
The fan blower # 35588 seems to be the most popular option for our Jeeps.

After looking through many different cages, I measured the original and it is 5 5/8" x 2 5/8". There is little room to be any larger considering the housing it fits into. It could be smaller but not bigger.
I did find a blower cage almost the exact same size in part number 35602. My hope is the old cage will fit the shaft and put inside the housing. Time will tell as the blower is ordered.

I keep reading about the vacuum line that feeds from the softball sized container on the driver side fender well running to the heater controls. Mine doesn't run anywhere. I am guessing it is suppose to run inside of the cab somewhere and connect to something, but I cannot find a good diagram of where it goes. Does it operate the flapper door on the right side of this picture ? If not, what does that door do ? it opens easy enough but is on a spring of some sort to keep it closed.

Update 9-25-21, I found the diagram from the service manual. Look in the U section under "other"......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I read somewhere, square body chevy fans are the same as ours. There may be an upgrade for them that will bolt in?

Custom series interior

Last edited by drcom : 09-25-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:15 PM
232 I6

9-21-21

Some days a person just cannot get out of bed...the cold front went through and boom...wiped out. Anyway, Got some cleaning done. Have you ever bought a vehicle and when you got it home your thoughts turn to......."did I pay too much?"......Not every vehicle we bought has this feeling; but most Jeeps that we bought have. Until that day you are getting ready to Dynamat your butt off and you realize.......the back of this Jeep just doesn't have a lot of rust in it.......not much at all. Then you smile and decide....money well spent......I love old metal.

Custom series interior
Old 09-21-2021, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcom
I keep reading about the vacuum line that feeds from the softball sized container on the driver side fender well running to the heater controls. Mine doesn't run anywhere. I am guessing it is suppose to run inside of the cab somewhere and connect to something, but I cannot find a good diagram of where it goes. Does it operate the flapper door on the right side of this picture ? If not, what does that door do ? it opens easy enough but is on a spring of some sort to keep it closed.
Yep! On mine (79, so may be different but I don't think it is), it goes through a grommit on my firewall, over by my fuse block. you can see the grommet and vacuum line hanging here:

Goes to the "heat" and "defrost" buttons on the dash. On mine, that door you ask about is connected to a vacuum operated motor and when I push the "Heat" button, it opens that door.

Here's a good thread on it. Yours is probably different because you have the earlier dash but the operation is probably the same.
Heater Vacuum operation thread
Old 09-21-2021, 04:53 PM
232 I6

Awesome. I really appreciate it.

Custom series interior
Old 09-26-2021, 04:26 PM
232 I6

9-26-21

My helper did some cleaning and painting with hopes the heater core and radiator is going to be finished early this week. Didn't find any help this weekend from the local Jeep club. I offered to pay someone to put in a starter but it appears that anything except Wranglers are just junk. Oh well. I'll have to wait until my health is better and I can get more help to do that project. We used plain old equipment paint with a "rust arrestor". It goes on thick and works well. It worked great on the farm for keeping things painted and not rusty. Cheaper than most brand name stuff. Put it on with a foam sponge. I have used a brush also.

Custom series interior
Old 09-26-2021, 08:38 PM
232 I6

9-26-21 evening edition topic Exhaust !!!!

I wonder how many Jeep owners turn into alcoholics......???/
So Willow has an exhaust leak. The previous owner (insert 4 letter word here instead of previous owner) said it was leaking where the manifold connects to the pipe. No big deal, I am thinking a gasket needs to be replaced. BUT NO, he removed a thing called a heater valve. A person would think you could just take out the heater valve and bolt up the exhaust pipe but nope, it needs the valve to complete a unique shape so it doesn't leak. Thankfully the folks over at the Buick V8 forum figured out how to make a replacement part that deletes the heater valve and creates the needed shape to connect the pipe to the manifold. Here are some pics if you Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer folks have a leak, this is probably why.

diagram from service manual

pici of the heater valve in place

pic of the replacement part home made from guys at Buick V8

Custom series interior
Old 09-26-2021, 09:00 PM
360 AMC

Nice.... If you need new foam or rubber for the flapper doors, or the thicker bulkhead seal, Grainger and Mc master Carr have dozens of choices of 3m sticky backed sheets of it. All sizes, thicknesses and densities. Funny I just posted this over at the Turbo Diesel Register also. The products are high quality and will not peel off later.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 project J truck 4 sale CHEAP
1970 J truck with the 71
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Building a m715 over at the m715zone
Old 09-26-2021, 09:30 PM
232 I6

I scraped what little foam there was on the doors and figured it wouldnt make a difference one way or the other if it didnt have it. Do you think it is important ?

The bulkhead seal needs to be used. I was thinking butyl rubber...but maybe I am not thinking correctly about it ? Your thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Nice.... If you need new foam or rubber for the flapper doors, or the thicker bulkhead seal, Grainger and Mc master Carr have dozens of choices of 3m sticky backed sheets of it. All sizes, thicknesses and densities. Funny I just posted this over at the Turbo Diesel Register also. The products are high quality and will not peel off later.

Custom series interior
Old 09-28-2021, 01:48 PM
232 I6

9-28-21

My exhaust leak drama is over. Sometimes my head doesn't work the way I want. The heater valve is actually on the passenger side. The driver side needed a donut gasket. After measuring several times, I found the part number Nickson 31387 at O'Reillys which fit the holes.

Notice the exhaust manifold is not flat as seen in the service manual. Just FYI.

Custom series interior
Old 10-12-2021, 07:58 PM
232 I6

10-12-21

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.......today was a slow day but some progress was made. First, the radiator shop finally has the rebuilt radiator done. 2 weeks after they said they would have it. But hey, why would there be any customer service left in America anymore. The other surprise is the radiator is now a 4 core. It probably won't fit back in the Jeep. Time will tell. The new heater core is there also. Maybe it's time for an electric fan as mine seems to have the shakes as the bearing seems to be gone....no replacements listed. Going to try to see what might be close to bolt up. The interior today got a new coat of Eastwood's rust encapsulator. I found it is much easier to apply with a 4" foam roller. The 4x4 shift boot cleaned up pretty good.

Custom series interior
Old 10-13-2021, 09:38 PM
350 Buick

Nice work.. I am jealous of your clean floor!

Tell us a bit about that coating stuff? Better than POR ?

Does it a special prep like POR ?

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 10-14-2021, 10:07 AM
232 I6

This is the stuff.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-ru...-platinum.html

I bought the Platinum. I watched a video on Youtube where a guy did a test between this, POR and another brand. The big difference is he waited for a year to see which one did the best at keep down the rust. He came up with the Eastwood product. So I tried it. I only want to do this once. My driver floorboard was the worst rust and it was only surface. This stuff dries hard like a brick. When I tried to clean the old out of a plastic bucket, it just peeled out and was pretty flexible. So that got me to wondering if the floor would peel up and come off. I took my pocket knife and tried to lift up an edge . Didn't work. Then I tried to cut it. Nope. Then I hit it with the grinder...yep, that did it. But only where the grinder made contact. So I am sold. I bought WAY too much as this stuff goes a long way. I also put it on way too thick on the driver floor but wanted to strengthen it since there were some pin holes. Now it is strong as can be. No worries about it at all. I probably didn't have to do the entire front floor due to no rust, but decided to coat the 50 plus year old metal anyway. I will be putting down Dynamat to give it some sound deadening quality.

Same prep as any paint. We removed all loose rust with the wheel and Dewalt. Then acetone to remove any grease. Then just paint on thin coats with a 4" roller. It got in the seams great and made it easier to apply. Let it dry with the doors open. Ready for Dynamat.

I have to figure out how to get the rear door to open so I can work on the cargo area.

The rear window is not working or course. If I could just get it down so I can open the door I could get the rear done to start putting the Dynamat there also. I have the entire new carpet ready to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
Nice work.. I am jealous of your clean floor!

Tell us a bit about that coating stuff? Better than POR ?

Does it a special prep like POR ?

Custom series interior
Old 10-15-2021, 10:22 AM
232 I6

10-15-21

Well after much consideration and speaking with some local folks that have run hot rod cars, I have decided to go with an electric fan setup. One of the deciding factors what the lack of part numbers or ability to match the old clutch fan, but probably the biggest was we already have a 150 amp alternator and all the 10 gauge wire to install it. We are amateur radio operators so the extra amps will be very helpful. Especially since we like to do field radio often.

So the order was made and are now waiting on parts. The radiator was picked up with the new heater core from the shop and is ready to install.

I removed the A/C items to have more room to work. Yes, they will be reinstalled at a later date, but I am not sure any of it works. I will have to figure out a way to test everything outside of the Jeep and then install if it all works.

They always think they are helping.

Waiting on the new electric fan.

Custom series interior
Old 10-15-2021, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcom
...I have to figure out how to get the rear door to open so I can work on the cargo area.

The rear window is not working or course. If I could just get it down so I can open the door I could get the rear done to start putting the Dynamat there also. I have the entire new carpet ready to install.
Don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer.

You may have to crawl over the back seat, removed the access panel, and put 12V and ground directly on the motor. If that does not work, you can reach up, pull the clips from the regulator and lower the window manually. It sucks but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.