International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-08-2004, 08:33 AM

I have decided to leave the stock drivetrain in the J10 untill it break it. Now, the bed is off, and I am doing a soa on the front. I would like to chop a little more off the back and was wondering if front waggy springs would work under a lightweight flatbed that will just go to the end of the rear springs. It looks like that would shave off 4 inches or so.

Ideas?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Grease Monkey

some ford f-150 rear springs are 57" and are offset so you could decrease departure angle

I think the waggy's would work.. might be a bit stiff unless you remove a leaf.. but I'm not sure..

if you want to go all out.. consider a 3 or 4 link rear with coils or 1/4 elliptical springs for excellent departure angle..

[ January 08, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: full_hydro ]
Old 01-08-2004, 08:49 AM

I was looking at how easy it would be to coil it, but then I wouldnt be happy till I did the front.

I just wanna get it going with the parts I have laying around and then build from there.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

yea, f150 springs, or 4x4 ranger springs would be what I would do (wait, that's what I did do )
Old 01-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Gear Head

I cut around 26" off of my Wag frame. 2 x 4 box fits nicely in the C-channel frame, so I built a sub-frame with that. Basically two chunks to sleeve into the stock frame, then a stout cross member. Then I drilled through the 2 x 4 frame extensions with a 1 3/4" hole saw so it would accept M.O.R.E. bushings for my rear shackles. Used front Wag springs in the rear.

The net was 20" off the frame. Another 6"+ or so because the rear of the body was bobbed.
\'86 Wag - Sold! Currently \"Wag-less\"<br />\'94 Baby Jeep w/ stuff<br /><a href=\"http://www.ci4wi.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.ci4wi.org</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.miobi.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.miobi.org</a>