International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Help Needed- Recommended Tool Set

After purchasing a new fan clutch to hopefully fix my overheating at idle, I've decided that I can't/shouldn't continue borrowing tools from my neighbor whenever I need to work on my Wag.

Being new to working on cars, could anyone recommend me a tool set that 1) contains the tools that I would reasonably need, 2) is durable, and 3) is fairly inexpensive?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM
360 AMC

i started out with a standard craftsman 'mechanics tool set" like 100something piece.

I havent damaged a single tool or bit or whatever that came with it.

something like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ell=TS_Tools_1

sears sells tons of different sets. I liked that one ebcause it came with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets and a bunch of box wrenches, etc.

from that point, you can buy what you need, in 6 years i haven't had to buy an additional socket wrench or socket.

The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44
Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM

The pros that can write-off tools on their taxes are going yell Snapon but for us mere mortals a basic hand tools Craftsman set works just fine as a starter set. I started out in about 1960 rounding heads off bolts with a basic Sears set and not counting the ones I've lost from driving off with a tool on the bumper or the ones the lawn mower launched into the next county I still have and use them. No they aren't the quality and feel of Snapon but they're still good tools that are affordable. Just get the basics and add to them as needed. You'll be buying add ons forever anyway. Beware of the mega piece deal sets. You don't need 50 hack saw blades or 40 magnetic driver inserts or 100 allen wrenches to get started. If you're dealing with 1980 and up era rigs you'll need SAE and metric.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:41 PM

I think your best bet is a Craftsman mechanics tool set. Wait for the set you want to be on sale, and it will be a bargain. Craftsman tools are made by Danaher in the USA (mostly) and are a good compromise between quality and price. Gearwrench stuff is also made by Danaher, and is pretty good (but no complete sets, like Craftsman).

Some of the Harbor Freight tools are ok, but you have to pick and choose. And they honor their guarantee, so if you ahve a store nearby, take a look. I would only recommend sets of wrenches or sockets or extensions ... or something similar. Some things from them , like cutting tools and pliers, can be particularly wretched. I bought a set of their screwdrivers for carrying around, and they seem fine.

Re "enough" tools, you'll never have enough. I suggest you buy what you think you'll need, then fill in with specific tools as you need them.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM
FSJ Maniac

This makes a great starter tool kit.

From Costco

http://toolmonger.com/2009/12/08/cos...scent-toolkit/

I have my share of Craftsmans....but this is a great set to add to your daily driver too.

Larry

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html
Old 07-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Gear Head

Totally agree with all the above... get the bargain set learn how to properly use them, then add speciality tools as you need them. Get a good battery charger and a multimeter you are well on your way to doing most of your wrenching.

Future
Something Sweet with mean capabilities .
Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Master Mechanic

I agree with the Craftsman camp. They still replace what breaks. In 30 years I broke a 1/2 inch wratchet and breaker bar. Both were abused with cheaters on spring eye bolts. The gear wrench stuff is useful as well. I thought they would be gimmiky, but saved me time getting at fasteners behind the engine down the firewall, without having to regrip nut. The other brand I abuse with out breakage is kobalt(socket and box wrenches). Some of thier screw driver bits sets and folding utility knifes are rubbish.
07 Colorado
http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/
Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Chair, Cowbell

Yea, you don't want to be that guy that comes over to borrow tools.

I agree with Craftsman. Buy the biggest most complete mechanics set you can afford. At least the 300 piece set, I think you can usually get that for $200.

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I got the Willys....

I'd go with craftsman myself. Blue Point makes some good general service sets. Better ratchets then C-man. Chrome will fall off after hard use but Snap-On will warranty that as well as breakage. They hold up nicely to impacts. More pricy than C-man, but MUCH cheaper than Snap-on.

I have a set that includes 10-19mm wrenches, 1/4-3/4 wrenches

1/4" drive
something below 1/4-9/16" and 4mm-14mm
3 extensions, a universal joint and a ratchet

3/8" drive
6-24mm, 1/4-1", E4-E18 (I think), three extensions, one ratchet and a breaker bar.

Cost me around $350 or so a few years back.
J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Check your local Craigslist. Was able to pick up an older craftsman double box with tools for like 250.
1999 wj r.i.p
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

the two C's are the deal

Craftsman all the way & craigs list. Mine is like the 100 + set Had itover 10 years. I like to het the sets with the case so you know where every socket goes you'll know what you don't have saves a lot of headaches.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
Craftsman all the way & craigs list. Mine is like the 100 + set Had itover 10 years. I like to het the sets with the case so you know where every socket goes you'll know what you don't have saves a lot of headaches.

The Hansen socket holders are excellent, but you have to spend more money.

http://www.amazon.com/Hansen-HAN3802.../dp/B000I1LTO2

There are thousands of different tools and accessories that you may want ...
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGWag
After purchasing a new fan clutch to hopefully fix my overheating at idle, I've decided that I can't/shouldn't continue borrowing tools from my neighbor whenever I need to work on my Wag.

Being new to working on cars, could anyone recommend me a tool set that 1) contains the tools that I would reasonably need, 2) is durable, and 3) is fairly inexpensive?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Whatever you get, you'll need a set of 6 point sockets. After rounding off too may rusty bolt heads I finally threw away all my 12 point sockets, and never looked back. FSJs have many rusty bolts to contend with.

You'll also want a set of flare wrenches. These are "open end" six point wrenches that you can slip over steel fuel, air or brake lines and get to the bolt securing the line in place.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
304 AMC

It's a Jeep, so don't forget the 2 lb hammer. I started with Craftsman and I have broken an extension and a ratchet and they replaced them no questions asked. An NO I did not hit the ratchet with the 2 lb hammer. But I did hit the Jeep.

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Dragin Az

I too started with Craftsman and built from there. I have also bought tools from the McParts houses and they have been good on replacement also. Lately, I have gotten to know the local Mac man and he has been doing me great. The nice part is that he will give me the tool I want/need and let me pay it off $20 a week. That makes it awesome for me.

43 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
350 Buick

OK, I'll be stepping on some toes here, going against the "Craftsman " thing. Nothing wrong with Craftsman (hand tools anyway), they are good tools.
If you can find them on CL or a yard sale GO FOR IT! You wont regret it, as long as you check "New" prices and make sure you are getting a good deal, not getting sucked in just because its a "Yard sale/ CL/flea bay", deal.

For someone just getting started, best bang for the $$$ (new tools) IMHO would go with Stanley. I use my tools A LOT, and have never regretted any Stanley stuff.

If I was starting over on a tight budget, I'd start with these, or something similar.......... (adjust to Craftsman/Blue point/Snap-on if your budget allows.... but the contents are the main thing)

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-96-011...anley+tool+set
You WILL want extra wrenches at times when you need to hold a bolt and tighten a nut where a wrench is the only way to "get in there"
So.....

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-783...ley+wrench+set

This next few are HF stuff............ I know, I know, but they have served me well when needed......

for those areas where the socket might be "fun" to retrieve if it comes off the extension....
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-67976.html

and because the right length/size extension can make a project SO MUCH EASIER.......
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...ons-67971.html

And for stubborn bolts, I picked this up for myself a while back. Was in HF store with a friend, and commented to him "bet that wouldn't take me long to break". Store clerk had walked up behind us and laughed as he said he has 1. "Bet you wont break it, and if you do..... bring it back, lifetime warranty"
Had a 4' cheater on it a couple times so far, handle flexes, but no breakage.......
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-driv...bar-67933.html

Those will cover the biggest part of things you will try as a beginner. Best part..even if you add a cheap tool box your total cost could still be under $200.

Add these when you can..............
Screwdriver set
Multi-meter
Pry bars
Hammers - regular construction hammer, 2-3lb sledge, heavy BRASS hammer- for more delicate persuasion.
Line wrenches, and maybe a set of 6pt crows-feet----spend a little for quality here. You dont want line wrenches that flex under pressure.

Pullers, pulley remover/installer, compression gauge, vacuum gauge, timing light, welder, plasma cutter, tubing notcher, and bender, hydraulic press, blasting cabinet........................................... ...............
The list never ends, just add tools as you need them. Avoid the really generic stuff, it will break. or make the job harder than it needs to be.

Check prices on specialty tools before renting. Some places have free rental, you just pay a deposit until you bring it back, other times you can buy it for not much more than renting for a day or two.

Good luck,
Jim
H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
custom shackle flip
W/F150 springs
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels,
OX'd D60/14B-FF
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 PM

I have a Stanley set that was 200 something pieces that I got from Walmart for about $75. (I know) I've used them a good amount now and the only real complaint I have is the rachets can be slippery when oily. They also have a lifetime warranty like Snap-On and C-man but I haven't broken anything yet to see how good it is. As far as it goes for a cheap set I would recommend it. They do have smaller sets but I feel the big one is worth it. It does lack a few things like 1/2 inch extensions and a good selection of open end wrenches, but for the price its pretty good. A good box full of random other tools and most important vise grips is always good to have though.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 PM

i like craftsman as well but you can get the same qulity from home depot(the husky brand not the other stuff they sell) and the warrenty is just as good as cman.like others have said get the biggest set you can afford and go from there.

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

My most compelling argument for craftsman is that for the lay-person they are the easiest tools to replace under warrantee.

I'm a big fan of Mac tools, as that was the truck that came by the day after payday. But unless you have a tool truck come by your house once a week, then Craftsman it is.

You've probably noticed that pretty much every ratchet you see says "Lifetime Warantee" on it. Late last fall I took a Kobalt ratchet back to Lowes because the gear catch was stripped or the spring was broke. I don't care it's supposed to be lifetime warrantee. They refused to swap me for the identical one on the shelf because the the part number was different. The part number on mine was for the set it came in and the one on the shelf was sold individually. If I was going to trade in the ratchet, I had to bring in the whole set and trade the whole complete shebang in. That would be fine except the very first thing I do with a new socket set is lose the $%^$^#&W#$$% 9/16" Socket.

I've only had a problem with Craftsman once, and it was at the Aurora Mall in Denver. When you took them a broken ratchet, they threw it in a box under the counter and gave you someone elses broken ratchet from the same box, they wouldn't give you a new one off the shelf. That was the only Sears that gave me issues over a broken wrench.
What's been did:
Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
MSD Streetfire based TFI
Custom-hack gauge cluster
Razor swap
Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
2 knob tape deck!
3" homebuilt lift
Half a hillbilly paint job
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 PM
350 Buick

Never heard of them doing that.

My cousin did get turned away when he took a busted wrench back for his dad.
He did it during his lunch break, in his work uniform. He is a Honda Tech at one of the bigger dealerships in St.Louis.

"not warrantied for commercial use" is what they told him.
Didn't want to hear that it was his dads and he was returning it as a favor since he works right close and his dad is 1.5 hrs away.

Jim
H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
custom shackle flip
W/F150 springs
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels,
OX'd D60/14B-FF