International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 PM

How to replace. Starter solenoid

1989 gw. From reading a bunch of posts I think this starter solenoid is my issue. To make sure I'm referencing the correct part it's the cylinder attached to he starter. ( I hope) My question is how best to remove it? Do I have to take the starter off? If so is the starter just the three bolts?

My problem with starting he jeep is that I just get one click when I turn the key. Then if I turn it again I get nothing. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery I can get one click again.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

there are two common no start issues

the first is related to the starter solenoid on the fender near the battery , its the one that is connected via the big red + wire from the battery to its studs - then from there it goes down to your starter that has a FIVE posts get it from Nappa........three small electrical connections on the bottom and the two BIG ones for the battery wires- ! this is if you have to "jump" it in order to get it to start... (your click probably rules this out)

if you are having a no start issue and someone turns the key while you actually beat on the starter motor itself and it cranks - then its probably the starter motor.....just go to Nappa and buy a new complete lifetime one - your gonna want it

be sure to check all your connections on the battery, solonoid, ( including its mounding screws) and starter as well as the ground straps before changing anything out also have the battery tested..just because you can turn on the lights does not mean its well enough to crank the motor

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Last edited by Tripwire : 05-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Master Mechanic

Doesn't really sound like it's the problem, but yes, for your year, pull out the starter and it'll be really obvious how to replace the solenoid.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

yep loose connection

Or dead battery.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. More back story is that the jeep had been running fine until I parked it for too long. Then the battery was toast, tried a new battery and even tried to jump it. Actually there were indications of this problem in the past. If the jeep didn't crank I'd just remove and replace the neg battery cable.

I'm an idiot will electrical, so ill start with replacing this part, since I have it, and go from there.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Hack-Priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp51mustang
1989 gw. From reading a bunch of posts I think this starter solenoid is my issue. To make sure I'm referencing the correct part it's the cylinder attached to he starter. ( I hope) My question is how best to remove it? Do I have to take the starter off? If so is the starter just the three bolts?

My problem with starting he jeep is that I just get one click when I turn the key. Then if I turn it again I get nothing. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery I can get one click again.

The solenoid could be the problem, but price a complete starter. If you replace one unit of the system that is 30 plus years old, you might have to do it again. If you feel that your old starter is pristine, then keep it as a backup, and not turn it in for a core.

Today, no mechanic shop would replace a solenoid, they would replace the complete unit.

Hopes this helps...

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Try disconnecting the starter cable from the starter AT the solenoid on the fender wall.

Turn on the key to start, if the starter solenoid gives a loud "Click" sound, then it is probably good. No guarantees, but it is a very quick and valid starting point.

Also, your battery should be reading about 12.5Vdc or better.

Another test is to give the bendix housing on the starter itself a good rap with something that MIGHT loosen up the interior workings of that device and she might start right up.

Save the part swapping for after a little data has been obtained.

These are two very simple things to try....

Here is an image of the starter solenoid... click on"Starter Problems" and scroll down till you see the pictures.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/searc...archid=1469982
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 PM

Didn't the starter change in 87? Is the solenoid on the starter, or is it ont he fenderwell like the older models?

Either way, it looks like either way it's a cheap replacement.
***Space saved for a J-truck***
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM

In 89' the starter solenoid is on the starter itself. The starter relay is mounted to the fenderwell. If you are going to pull the starter then you might as well have it tested. Almost any parts store will test it for free.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks. That's the plan. That last bolt up high and I'm home free.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM

I must have done something right, it's running again. Thanks.

Now there is a leaky break line, figures.