International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag4x6
Is the gauge floating constantly or sitting at a temp for , let's say a half hour, then moving. If its always floating I would be looking at a bad gauge or a bad ground on the gauge.

It rarely sits in one place for more than 5 minutes. Will sit below 220 while idling, then while driving will shoot up to above 240 then when I stop it will move into red zone (above 260). And then when I start driving it will come back down to around 230. It's not jerky movements just constant fluctuation.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag4x6
Is the gauge floating constantly or sitting at a temp for , let's say a half hour, then moving. If its always floating I would be looking at a bad gauge or a bad ground on the gauge.

X2, if it is constantly floating, the ground of the instrument cluster.

Next is the voltage regulator build inside the temperature gauge for 70's to 85 year model, but I suspect that latter models with a different instrument cluster use the same set up for the voltage regulator called CVR (constant voltage regulator)

Remember that the post 86 year use a different calibration for the temp gauge and sender. The older FSJ uses HIGH resistance for low temp and LOW resistance for high temp.

The quick and dirty way is to put and aftermarket gauge.

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Always Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
Why don't they have a spring in them now? My sons 2012 mustang doesn't.

I'm sure under some rediculous conditions it may have happened.

I can find an answer to anything the way I want it answered on the internet if I loock ong enough

I've seen tons of parts that were added that weren't needed. the first hotrodder noticed that right off. I've never seen it & I can't say it doesn't happen. It could. Hey that Google link is great Maybe it's just me that can't get it to work.

Two things that are fact not all internet information is fact. Theory or it is thought is not fact. Most of these sites talk about during cool down. I totaly agree. Most talk about this happening mostly in theory but can not say it does in fact. I googled it too. Again not much fact.
YUP if you read enough of them then you'll find they contradict each other. Almaost everyone of these replies are opinions. I didn't say they didn't ever collapse. When cooling I agee. If it were possible how would the vaum be created? If there were an obstruction that would make th emost sense for this to happen wouldn't the impeller just cavitate?? I agree that an impeeler could create 1 to 2 pounds of pressure but how does that circumvent 15 pounds of pressure?

I was clearly just sharing a personal experience. I even qualified it that I had not seen it on an AMC. There may be many reasons why they don't use them now... maybe I can find an answer on the internet.

Perhaps the hoses are better? Maybe they make sure the difference isn't large enough to collapse the hose?

There is no doubt it came stock with a spring (73 mustang with a Cleveland). The spring was there to keep the hose from collapsing. I saw it collapse when I revved the engine. The spring fixed my problem. Your results may vary.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Last edited by will e : 07-31-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Not doubting you will e

Quote:
Originally Posted by will e
I was clearly just sharing a personal experience. I even qualified it that I had not seen it on an AMC. There may be many reasons why they don't use them now... maybe I can find an answer on the internet.

Perhaps the hoses are better? Maybe they make sure the difference isn't large enough to collapse the hose?

There is no doubt it came stock with a spring (73 mustang with a Cleveland). The spring was there to keep the hose from collapsing. I saw it collapse when I revved the engine. The spring fixed my problem. Your results may vary.
Please read my post I never said it never happens I agreed under certain conditions it does. I do not believe it is the root cause in this instance. There is no doubt with certain conditions it can be found to happen on the internet.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 07-31-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Buy an infrared Thermometer and monitor the entry fluid and the exiting fluid at the block/radiator.

Form your own opinion, a 23 year old gauge? Need I say more?

To cool further, distilled water and water wetter only with some prestone lubricant.

Add electric fans...

It was 107 degrees F here in San Antonio temp on my system got up to almost 190 degrees F at idle in traffic.
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Always Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
Please read my post I never said it never happens I agreed under certain conditions it does. I do not believe it is the root cause in this instance. There is no doubt with certain conditions it can be found to happen on the internet.

I did read it. Several times.

I am having trouble coming away from it as a simple agreement that under certain (rediculous) conditions it can happen.

I am not going to get into a internet argument where we tear apart each others sentences.

I saw it happen on a 73 ford mustang with a 351 cleveland with my own eyes. Folks can take that for what it is worth. Your advice that you can find agreement (answers) on the internet is well founded but, in my opinion, mis-directed at my post. I only stated that I had seen it before. Each person can take that for what it is worth. There are a few folks on this board who would accept my statement as reliable, others may not. It really makes little difference to me.

I stand by my statement that car companies did not add parts that were not needed. They put the spring in to solve an issue. They run on tight margins. They don't just add parts, they just don't.

I agree a collapsing hose might be a symptom rather than the actual issue. In my Mustang it was the issue, the spring had, for the most part, rusted out.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM

over heating

Peace of mind and added investment
Purchase a good temperature gauge and monitor while you drive and watch for consistency - irregular variations will tell you if there is a real problem
You can remove the new thermostat and the engine temp will run cooler. Inconsistent variations after this are air in the water system and you need to purge the system of air in the block by filling the system completely to the top with antifreeze several times. This is dangerous - a heated mist of steam and antifreeze may bubble out, this is good however the heated air is being released.
Air and foam do not cool they get hotter and cause inconsistent heating and cooling. Overheated air turns into steam inside the block and a new radiator cap with a high release point may trap the air in the cooling system The higher the number the more pressure it takes to be released This can be checked with thermostat in as well.
The Bullet
Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Heating Help

Purchase a good temperature gauge and monitor while you drive and watch for consistency - irregular variations will tell you if there is a real problem
You can remove the new thermostat and the engine temp will run cooler. Inconsistent variations after this are air in the water system and you need to purge the system of air in the block by filling the system completely to the top with antifreeze several times. This is dangerous - a heated mist of steam and antifreeze may bubble out, this is good however the heated air is being released.
Air and foam do not cool they get hotter and cause inconsistent heating and cooling. Overheated air turns into steam inside the block and a new radiator cap with a high release point may trap the air in the cooling system The higher the number the more pressure it takes to be released This can be checked with thermostat in as well.
The Bullet
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet
The Bullet

This leads me to a question. How does one "purge" air from the system?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Easy Air Purge

Air in the cooling system gets in the system through replacing a component
such as the thermostat water pump, radiator, draining and replacing the coolant.
The problem is you dont have enough coolant.
Remove radiator cap
Fill with coolant when engine reaches thermostat temp thermometer will open and allow coolant in*
Coolant level in Radiator will drop
Add Coolant
Repeat process until you see water circulating in radiator. 2 - 3 x
You are replacing the air with coolant.
This process will reveal information to diagnose the problem.
Coolant system is operating properly with coolant circulating and there is no air in the system.
*No coolant circulating Thermostat is malfunctioning ie remaining closed cold coolant in radiator after idling temperature rise on temperature guage.
Coolant is hot no circulation water pump malfunctioning (rare)
Coolant disappearing with no spots or leaks - Improper head gasket seal
( hard to diagnose) cylinder pressure check oil in coolant - muddy dipstick
The bullet
Check clutch fan belt tension this will work and slip - Belt must fit in V - groove tight and conform to the groove. New belts don't fit properly they are to wide, I had to re-tighten 3 x to stop problem
Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Always Broke

i have lots of air in my system right now and no issues at 110 outside temps. Your results may vary.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet
Air in the cooling system gets in the system through replacing a component
such as the thermostat water pump, radiator, draining and replacing the coolant.
The problem is you dont have enough coolant.
Remove radiator cap
Fill with coolant when engine reaches thermostat temp thermometer will open and allow coolant in*
Coolant level in Radiator will drop
Add Coolant
Repeat process until you see water circulating in radiator. 2 - 3 x
You are replacing the air with coolant.
This process will reveal information to diagnose the problem.
Coolant system is operating properly with coolant circulating and there is no air in the system.
*No coolant circulating Thermostat is malfunctioning ie remaining closed cold coolant in radiator after idling temperature rise on temperature guage.
Coolant is hot no circulation water pump malfunctioning (rare)
Coolant disappearing with no spots or leaks - Improper head gasket seal
( hard to diagnose) cylinder pressure check oil in coolant - muddy dipstick
The bullet
Check clutch fan belt tension this will work and slip - Belt must fit in V - groove tight and conform to the groove. New belts don't fit properly they are to wide, I had to re-tighten 3 x to stop problem

As ridiculous as this sounds, I think low coolant/air in the system was my issue. I went out and bought a couple gallons of distilled water and started pouring it in the radiator (cold) and it took more than a gallon. Also filled up resevoir as it looked low. The tube was sticking up through the coolant and I'm wondering if this could have caused it to "suck" in air when it need more coolant?

Thanks for all the guidance!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle
As ridiculous as this sounds, I think low coolant/air in the system was my issue. I went out and bought a couple gallons of distilled water and started pouring it in the radiator (cold) and it took more than a gallon. Also filled up resevoir as it looked low. The tube was sticking up through the coolant and I'm wondering if this could have caused it to "suck" in air when it need more coolant?

Thanks for all the guidance!

if it took more then a gallon in the rad you were really low,like by half!

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"
Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 PM

Protect your investment and labor.

Remember that Water does freeze so dont forget to change it out this fall with premix antifreeze. Protect your investment and labor. keep on moving
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle
...Also filled up resevoir as it looked low. The tube was sticking up through the coolant and I'm wondering if this could have caused it to "suck" in air when it need more coolant?

Yes, and then some. When draining & refilling the system, after initial fill at the radiator neck, you then need to fill and then keep filling the reservoir until it stops sucking back coolant after cool-down. May take 3-4 hot/cold cycles before its truly filled.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 AM

Is the water pump a FlowKooler by chance? They're aluminum.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielheren
Is the water pump a FlowKooler by chance? They're aluminum.

You know, I don't know. It is new from the rebuild and it's painted black. I'm assuming it is not as I talked with the rebuilder about the issues I read with FlowKooler's and he assured me it was a factory replacement.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM

my old man said (when he saw my hose collapse) if you brief you exhale so search the brief... conclusion, the radiator cap was not the right one it had a 13 pounds and i replaced for a 16 pounds and stop collapse and temp gets down.
i hope be helpful
Edelbrock carb & intake manifold
Custom made Header
Magnaflow Cat & Muffler
BDS SUSPENSION 4"Lift kit
Bilstein5100 & Stabilizer
TransGo Shift Kit
Dana 44 Front & Rear 3.75 Gear ratio
285/75R16 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A
And still working on it...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM
FSJ Maniac

I think there's been about 20 posts telling you to get an aftermarket temp gauge. If you haven't done it yet... let me say...

Until you get a trustworthy aftermarket temp gauge on this thing, we're all just stumbling around in the dark.

Is it really overheating? fluctuating? who knows? The temp gauge is suspect. Fix that first and find out what exactly is going on.

Michael
Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

LOL

Explains a lot. I bet your temp guage is stable now.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 08-09-2012 at 10:18 PM.