International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Master Mechanic

Thumbs down What's Convenient for you?

Around here in the sticks, Sears is gone, I recently upgraded to Kobalt from Lowe's. Lifetime replacement, good selection. Funny it seems I needed new tools and more of them when I bought the Waggie...coincidence?

The girls on my Snap-on Girlie calenders think the Kobalt Chrome is much sexier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer3664
Never heard of them doing that.

My cousin did get turned away when he took a busted wrench back for his dad.
He did it during his lunch break, in his work uniform. He is a Honda Tech at one of the bigger dealerships in St.Louis.

"not warrantied for commercial use" is what they told him.
Didn't want to hear that it was his dads and he was returning it as a favor since he works right close and his dad is 1.5 hrs away.

Jim
Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 AM

IME Sears will give you a rebuilt Craftsman ratchet in replacement for a broken one. When abused, the pawls break and it's easy to fix them. Last time I replaced one (at Orchard Supply, pasadena IIRC) they had a rack of ratchets at the sales counter, ready for replacement.

I have found that Sears is very cooperative re the Craftsman guarantee. Instant replacement, no questions asked. I recently went into my local sears and replaced some broken pin punches - the salesman went to the shelf, got the replacments, pulled the tags off (so I could not return them), and off I went. And most Sears stores have a pretty good selection of general tools. I recently needed a very long Philips head screwdriver. I went to the mall, and they had the item I needed. I was in and out of the store (no lollygagging!) in about 10 minutes. Good deal.

Watch the sale ads - Sears heavily discounts tool sets as leaders. Things like their "professional" pliers sets and screwdriver sets can be sometimes be bought for as little as a dollar per piece. As long as you can resist the urge to shop (in, get your sale item, out) you'll get some terrific bargains.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
304 AMC

Another vote for Craftsman basic tool sets. Also, another benefit is if you need something specific, or odd-ball you can order online and ship it free to your local Sears.

Don't ever buy one of their floor jacks...

Your mileage may vary, but the people that work in the tool section at my local Sears are absolutely worthless...

Go Harbor Freight for stuff like hammers, prybars, etc...

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Grease Monkey

Although i started out with craftsman... I have since moved on to Harbor Freight for additional ratchets, sockets, and breaker bars.
I find myself reaching for the HF tools more often than the C-man. they are more comfortable in my hand, and the "clicks" on the ratchet are closer together which does help in tight spaces.
FYI - Danaher makes craftsman tools and they are manufactured in china... that is why you can find identical "no name" copies that are just as good.
33x12.5x15" tires
"Shaggy" the Waggy
Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Roadside Mechanic

You're gonna break tools.

Guarantee then becomes key.

Be they as they're made.

What's the quality?

Where they're made you're not to know.

Why should they tell you?

After all, are they

In the bus'ness to be rich.

Do they as they may.

Buying tools you plan,

Getting good against such odds,

Catch as you catch can.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 AM

I vote to for crafstman or even mastercraft (maximum series) But what I do recommend is a higher quality ratcheting breaker bar with picot head. Also I slowly have changed out the most common sockets with snap on as I find they fit bolts better and less likely to round the heads off. Also it is worth at least picking up a mac or snap on catalogue cause the will offer some tools or sockets in sizes you will not find in common brands.

But dont just go blow your money on big name tools, cause you will just end up with a few sockets for the same price as a new set.
35 inch tires

http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii618/canuck2a/
Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 AM
350 Buick

I have Craftsman tools, and now I have some really bad news.

ALL new Craftsman hand tools are being made in China, or other eastern countries. They will still give a so-called life time warrantee, but personally I don't want a wrench breaking on me while we are trying to fix something.

So I think I will be selling off all of my craftsman stuff for something better.
When I went to my local Sears a couple weeks ago I noticed that they were getting rid of the racks with the locking glass that the wrenches, sockets, were in.
I thought to my self that is kinda weird?

Then I picked up a racheting wrench set.................. MADE IN CHINA? WTH??

So I asked the sales associate, and he said "yeah they got a memo that customers might be mad, but to tell them that Craftsman still had a lifetime warrantee"
Suffice to say I did not purchase that wrench set.
I went home and wrote a letter to Sears telling them they lost a lifelong customer.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
232 I6

If you have a Northern Tool in your area they sell real good quality tools for a good price. Bought a 1/2" standard and metric 6 pt socket set from them. Haven't had a problem yet. Still look new. About 2 years old now. I always buy Craftsman ratchets and i love a good set of Gearwrench wrenches.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Master Mechanic

Be very Suspicious.....

When these guys tell you to buy a Sawzall with a selection of Demolition blades and welders!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hoyt
If you have a Northern Tool in your area they sell real good quality tools for a good price. Bought a 1/2" standard and metric 6 pt socket set from them. Haven't had a problem yet. Still look new. About 2 years old now. I always buy Craftsman ratchets and i love a good set of Gearwrench wrenches.
Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150
Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks.

Many thanks to everyone for their input and ideas. As a poor student, I will try the craigslist approach another few days before giving in and purchasing from a store. On the off chance that anyone in the Knoxville, TN area has a set they are willing to sell, let me know.

Again, thanks, all!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Hack-Priss

NAPA has the same tools as Craftsman.

There warranty is the same, and they sell to commercial mechanics.

They also have sales.

I bought gear wrenches there at extremely good prices.

I mostly have craftsman, but replace lost items with NAPA. I also use Harbor freight. They have some deals that for the once or twice use, that cannot be beat.

I have to say, nothing fits the hand like a Snap on ratchet or flat wrench!

It just is not worth it to me for the hobby.

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGWag
Many thanks to everyone for their input and ideas. As a poor student, I will try the craigslist approach another few days before giving in and purchasing from a store. On the off chance that anyone in the Knoxville, TN area has a set they are willing to sell, let me know.

Again, thanks, all!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tld/3055199069.html
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

You have a Northern Tools in your area...

$50 Combination Wrenches in 16-SAE and 18-Metric Full-size/Stubby
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7233_200327233

$100 Socket Set Impact in SAE and Metric 55 sockets and 4 adapters
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5060_200485060

$50 Ratchet Set 15 piece set with 3/8in. and 1/2in. Drives
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5766_200425766

Purchase in this order...
Buy the combination wrench set first
then the Ratchet set
then the socket set

Craftsmans will sell you a $250 dollar set with 309 pieces.. however this set is quite attractive. Disadvantage is you got to spend all that money at one time

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-309-p...1&blockType=G1
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM
I got the Willys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHSII
NAPA has the same tools as Craftsman.

Napa Pro tools are made by Danahar (sp) which makes tools for both Craftsman and Matco. I bought a 30 or so piece Torx (SP) and Torx safety socket set from our Napa's outside sales man. On sale from $200 to $50. It's the same as what Matco was selling. They hold up great on impacts.

Some of the Harbor Freight tools are great. I love their orange and green soft handle screw drivers. Their composite 72 tooth ratchets hold up well and are dirt cheap. I use my HF $3 test light more than my $50 Snap-On light. I like the HF better because I bought the crappy coiled cord SO tester. PITA!

Wrenches are pretty much crap, orange dead blows are a GREAT buy! Yellow fiberglass ball peen hammers have been serving me well for at least 5 years. Only broke one when I used a small one as a large punch and hit it with the 32oz hammer. Still works just blew the core through the yellow handle.

I've been using their O2 socket for a while. Fits nice and has been serving me well. I love Snap-On tools. They really are about the best out there (or at least in the US). But you don't need SO tools to get by, even professionally.
J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Gear Head

Personally, I'd stay away from prepackaged all-in-one tool sets. They always come with junk you don't need. Most of us don't need a full set of both metric and real wrenches. If your rig is afflicted with special-ed fasteners then buy a set of tools to match. You may need still one or two tools designed, as nature intended, for fractional fasteners. But there's no need in buying a complete set of normal sockets and wrenches to handle a few bolts.
Similarly, those of us with rigs built before the metric plague don't need to waste money on a 1,257 piece tool set with every Playskool socket included.

But my biggest problem with the kits is the cases they tend to be packaged in. Roughly 98.376% of the time you only need one type of tool at a time. It gets old dragging out a briefcase with every tool you own just to have a 5/8" socket and wrench. I much prefer having sockets in one case, wrenches in another, screwdrivers in yet another, and so forth. It makes it much easier to keep organized. And you don't have to carry 1,257 tools out to the rig to change a taillight. Yes, you could leave the case in the shed and just carry one or two tools with you. But you know for a fact you'll end up walking back to get the right tool since you grabbed the wrong one the first time.

Oh... can you tell I'm not a fan of the metric system?

'76 Cherokee NT
360/T-18

Trailers belong behind trucks, not under them.

Why? Because nobody in the history of 'wheeling has ever said, "good thing I put those smaller tires on my rig."
Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I got the Willys....

But those all in one kits are AWSOME at the junkyard when you never know what you're going to need!
J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserMan
But those all in one kits are AWSOME at the junkyard when you never know what you're going to need!
I cannot argue that. I also recognize they have value as the onboard kit for roadside repairs. But I would still look for one that was all-standard or all-metric depending on need. That at least makes it a 629 piece kit instead of 1,257.

'76 Cherokee NT
360/T-18

Trailers belong behind trucks, not under them.

Why? Because nobody in the history of 'wheeling has ever said, "good thing I put those smaller tires on my rig."
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

These will work well for you then
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...1d47ea_300.jpg

One bag sockets, one for wrenches one for screwdrivers

This Craftsman set goes on sale for $199 from time to time, most of us have other vehicles than old FSJ's. Looking over the components, this works out to less than $0.65 per item, and this we can all afford.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-309-p...1&blockType=G1
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltrockdweller
I have Craftsman tools, and now I have some really bad news.

ALL new Craftsman hand tools are being made in China, or other eastern countries. They will still give a so-called life time warrantee, but personally I don't want a wrench breaking on me while we are trying to fix something.

So I think I will be selling off all of my craftsman stuff for something better.
When I went to my local Sears a couple weeks ago I noticed that they were getting rid of the racks with the locking glass that the wrenches, sockets, were in.
I thought to my self that is kinda weird?

Then I picked up a racheting wrench set.................. MADE IN CHINA? WTH??

So I asked the sales associate, and he said "yeah they got a memo that customers might be mad, but to tell them that Craftsman still had a lifetime warrantee"
Suffice to say I did not purchase that wrench set.
I went home and wrote a letter to Sears telling them they lost a lifelong customer.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Sears is going to go out of business. Really what in the world are they thinking! Thats the only reason I buy craftsman hand tools. They are made in the USA and less the snap on. And honestly at my local sears there is never anyone there except in the tool section. I guess they still sell appliances, but IMO there digging there own grave buy exporting the craftsman brand.

I was there about 6 months ago last. Bought a torque wrench. $100 on sale and USA made! Was also planning to buy those new wrenches that fit over bolts:
http://toolguyd.com/craftsman-max-ax...t-and-sockets/

CHINESE. Why would I pay that much for these when I can get them for a quarter of the price at HF!?!?!

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
-1994 Baby Grand
-2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
-1953 REO M35A2 6x6
-1955 Willys Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywagoneers_com
i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Last edited by austinaubinoe : 07-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Grease Monkey

i use everything from snap-on to harbor freight! every ratchet i have got from hf has broken and that is due to using and extension as a braker bar or an end wrench as a braker bar... i have craftsman snapon kobalt stanley and harbor freight(all different brands wich eventually go to the scrap yard) i have only broken one kobalt ratchet and they traded it with a new one(it was out of a set and they took one off the shelf) and one 1/2" by 9/16" end wrench bent because of a 5lb sludge(1935 undercariage bolts get pretty rusted) but they exchanged it too!!! i've had many cman ratchets go bad not sure of the springs or what but they just gave me the guts:/ but anyway all in all i would say go with what you can afford that has a life time warrenty!!!
-SOA
-37's in 2 or 3 years 40's-54's
-not cutting the flares
-get the 360 running
-twin stick
-OX lockers!