International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
232 I6

Carb experts needed

So I have a bit of a quandry. I was wheeling this last weekend, when my wagoneer started acting strange. After some bumpy sections, it died. I restarted the engine no problem, put it in gear and pressed the gas, ran fine until I took my foot off the gas and then it died. Did it like 10 times in a row. It wasn't bogging down during acceleration, just would die as soon as I let off the gas. I looked at the carb (a 4 barrel Carter AFB) and the choke plates were approx 50% closed. If I opened the choke plates manually, the engine would lean out and die. Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley? I am going to pull the carb and rebuild (and install the Edelbrock offroad needle and seats while I'm at it), but is there anything else I should pay particular attention to, or anywhere else I should look? Oh, and once off the trail and back on roads, I drove 40 mins home with no problems. Any ideas?

Specs:
360 w/ alum intake & 4bbl Carter, TFI conversion, TH400, Cable Shifted Part Time QT w/ 16%OD, 6" BJs all spring, 35" Goodyear MTs, Custom Front Pre-runner style winch bumper w/ M8000, Ford Taurus electric fan, Rear Mini-spool.

Coming Soon: New floors, FITech EFI with G surge tank, MSD box
Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM
350 Buick

More than likely you bounced hard enough to misalign the inlet needle a bit and you were flooding it out. Did you ever fix/solve your issue?
D44/D60/3.31s
past rigs -
86 J10
80 J10
79 Chief
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I had a problem where it would only run at wot...

REALLY bad vacuum leak... Too lean to run all the time accept at WOT... look for a broken hose or something cracked.

BTW getting off a twisty narrow trail with lots of little ledges is REALLY interesting in a truck that only runs at WOT... I am quite impressed that I did not break something dispite onyl runnign 31s at the time

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing
Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
232 I6

I agree with the getting off the trail part being hairy. I have pulled the carb and rebuilt it, and I did find a number of small things wrong with it. I haven't finished going through all the vacuum hoses etc. Thanks for the idea, I will definately take a close look.

Specs:
360 w/ alum intake & 4bbl Carter, TFI conversion, TH400, Cable Shifted Part Time QT w/ 16%OD, 6" BJs all spring, 35" Goodyear MTs, Custom Front Pre-runner style winch bumper w/ M8000, Ford Taurus electric fan, Rear Mini-spool.

Coming Soon: New floors, FITech EFI with G surge tank, MSD box