International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Ronnie B - Jeepin in the Northeast Ronnie B - Jeepin in the Northeast is offline

Talking

Hello all, just joined the site. I recently purchased a 1985 J10 with the 360 V8, TF727, np208am transfer case and unknown front and rear differentials. The truck originally had the I6 and had been converted to the 360 with parts from and 88 wagoneer donor. I pulled the bed and cab off and the engine out this weekend and am getting ready to start a build on it. That said ill most likely be asking a lot of questions. The first being: What rear differential do i have? i cant find any tags on it but the top of the case has "N 428" stamped on it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!! I hope to become familiar with all on the site now that im in the jeep world! (previously had a 90 wrangler but no mods to it)
Old 07-05-2005, 06:21 AM

IIRC rear will be an AMC20 for 1985, front is a D44.
That AMC20 is unlike the smaller jeep AMC20 in that it has 1piece rear shafts.
You should be able to use this for some remaining info...
http://www.ifsja.org/tech/axle/axleid.shtml
...you also might want to measure that core support and radiator. Earlier I6 models have a narrower core support and smaller radiator than V8 models, not sure if that still applies in 1985.

Oh, and Welcome.

[ July 05, 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: tadsal ]

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 07-05-2005, 06:36 AM

80's have a smaller core support as well. You need core support from a V8 equipped rig to fit a V8 radiator. If this was done then you are good to go, if it has the i6 radiator, you may have cooling issues.

The rear M20 in FSJ's is refered to as an M23 by some. It has thicker axle tubes, and single piece shafts, and is considered to be of equal strength when compaired to an D44. Although the pinion is the same size as a D60's, and the ring gear is larger (8 7/8" compaired to 8.5" for the D44)
Old 07-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Ronnie B - Jeepin in the Northeast Ronnie B - Jeepin in the Northeast is offline

The engine was in and i did drive it for a day with no problems from overheating. The radiator appeared to be the correct 8cyl one, i was also given the 6 cyl one the guy had removed. The tranny is in very poor condition though- im not sure the fluid in it is even atf anymore; more like reddish brown dirt water- hopefully a rebuild will remedy.
Thanks again,