International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-05-2006, 10:30 AM
350 Buick

Is anyone out there running any of the new and supposedly improved spark plugs? The ones with the triangular shaped heads, the split ends or any of the other plugs that are supposed to be superior to the standard plugs out there??

When I went to my local auto shop recently the guy tried to seel me a set of E3 plugs that are supposed to be so much better than stock plugs. I told him I would just take a standard set of platinum plugs.

The guy next door to me runs these split end plugs and claims that they help his ford f150 to run and perform so much better that he would never buy anything different.

Any of you have any success with any of these? What experiences have any of you had? good/bad

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 03-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Master Mechanic

those might do better in a new fuel injected ricer made car ( aka foreign).

the best plugs for a AMC 360 are stock plugs.

R
Old 03-05-2006, 02:28 PM

I don't buy the latest gimmiky plug. I think I have Motorcraft copper core plugs in it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Preach it there VALDEZ .... stock all the way!
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Resident ***hole

Specialty plugs are only good for using more of your money.

I use standard Autolites.

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
2000 Jeep Wrangler
1988 Cadillac Brougham
1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
1965 Pontiac Tempest 326
Old 03-05-2006, 03:56 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

There's just so much that a spark plug can do, given the proper heat range. I run Bosch Platinums just because experience has shown that they last basically forever and are thus cheaper in the long run. Fancy electrode configurations are most likely so much snake oil, but hell, strange new things happen prit-near every day!

S.J.

'83 Wagoneer
360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:07 PM

YOu can do more just by making sure the heat range is correct and the plug is indexed properly in the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 03-05-2006, 05:10 PM

I think the specialty plugs are nonsense!

I stick to Bosch Platinum ('76 CJ7 AMC360 and DUI ignition) because the platinums are virtually maintenance free and pretty much last forever! I have NEVER replaces ANY of them in any of my vehicles once I installed them when the old ones crapped out....
91 GMC 1500 4X4 4" 33's
87 Pathfinder SE v6 285K miles (stock)
98 TransAm 350 WRS6 pkg (her's!)
Old 03-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

in a stock engine, i use autolite number 985's
they are essentially the 'eagle' type spark plug.
they use a 5/8 socket, which can make them a little easier to finagle in on a smogger, but it is not like the 13/16ths ones are that hard to deal with.

they are a longer reach plug in the stock heat range, which places the spark further into the chamber, which means that the spark will occur in a slightly denser area as far as mixture is concerned, and you have a slightly better chance of having the spark actually zapping a combustible molecule of one compound or another... which is what all of the new fangled ignition boxes and spark plugs are trying to do as well...
either make the spark last longer (better chance of hitting something that burns)
make the spark jump farther (better chance of hitting something that burns)
make more sparks happen at ignition time, ala MSD (better chance of hitting something that burns)
or make a funny looking electrode, hoping that more stuff that burns has a chance to drift through the places where the spark will actually happen.

I also 'side-gap' or 'clip' my plugs.
which makes them not last as long, but it makes slightly better odds that something that burns will be near the place where the tiny little spark will happen, and since i run cheap plugs, i can afford to replace them every 20K or so...

I find this extremely helpful with points ignition engines, because at slow cranking speeds, the rise time in the coil after the points open (at low voltage due to cranking) there is a strong chance for the voltage to 'bleed' off down any carbon on the ceramic 'nose' of the plug, rather than ionizing and jumping the gap, so clipping the plugs and running them down to like .025" gives me an easy gap to jump, but it unshrouds the gap to make it less likely to miss the stuff that burns when it is time to make stuff burn...

if you drove my 91 suburban, which has a carter AFB and points, you would not believe me until i took the air cleaner off to show you the carb and points....

specialty plugs are sortof like snakeoil... really they are like calling the steak in steak soft tacos 'steak'... yes, steak is better than hamburger, and yes, the stuff in the taco is not ground beef in this case, but it really isn't what I would call steak... it is a sales pitch, with benefits that might have actually happened, once, on a dyno, with the lights off,
at night
if you squint

hows THAT for an obnoxiously long boring post!!!

peace, Dave
One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Roadside Mechanic

I'm given to understand that aviation duty plugs have different electrode configurations.

But for a street engine the stock plug should do just fine with a good fat blue spark to back it up. I tried one of those "split-fire" plug sets and found that increase in performance and gas mileage was nil.

The only possible situations I could see a fancy plug having an edge on the stock type is where carburetor problems have the engine running stinking rich, or the rings are shot and the engine is pumping oil. Under those circumstances I suppose they might hold out longer before fouling out.

[ March 06, 2006, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: drlocke ]
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 AM
350 Buick

Thanks fellas that is what I thought. That is why I asked to have the standard boxh platinum plugs. not these split plugs or whatever the guy was trying to sell me.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 03-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Sloppy Shifter

I sent my son to get oil and Plugs...............He came back and said he had no idea spark plugs were so expensive................50.00 for 8 of them. I have no idea what they are, never even looked at them. They will go back. I just run plain ole AC Delco, trouble free work well.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Roadside Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
I sent my son to get oil and Plugs...............He came back and said he had no idea spark plugs were so expensive................50.00 for 8 of them. I have no idea what they are, never even looked at them. They will go back. I just run plain ole AC Delco, trouble free work well.
I don't know if that brand is what is recommended for my 327 but AC is the brand I've been running in all my gasoline rigs for years and years. Good, dependable plug.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 AM

the thing w/ splitfire plugs is that electricty is still only going between 2 points. I don't know how they can show a v shaped park. Please correct me i i am wrong, but wouldn't "fouled" still be the same ounce one of those pronges goes.