International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-22-2021, 06:59 AM
230 Tornado

700R4 w/ Column Shifter

Hi,
I have a 700R4 in a 90 GW. It was swapped at a shop. They used a bunch of stuff that Novak provided including the transmission, adapters, Lokar cable, etc.

Anyway, it works fine except I hate the way you shift:

- It's harder than it should be to move between shift positions and then when you apply that force its likely you jump 2-3 spots versus just 1.

- If you look at the shift indicator, each position varies from time to time. Overdrive, Drive, etc could vary as much as 1/2" between shifts each time.

- Putting it in to Park feels strange. You get to the end of the column, and then have to push the shifter towards the dash to get it to stick. Sometimes, you have to switch twice until it really goes in to park and stops rolling.

Obviously this isn't my strong suit so I'm trying to understand enough about how to resolve this so I can probably get local help with fixing it.

Example: Is this the column shift lever gate and how it moves across it that's causing my issue? Maybe its struggling to skip across each position? But, how would you fix that when the original was for a 3 speed and the 700R4 has more gear positions?

Can I really expect a local shop to know a good way to fix this if they get the column apart? Or, would I look at alternatives like cutting up the floor (which is more my style) and putting in a floor shifter like one of the 18" Lokar's for the 700R4 instead?

Any way you can break this down for someone who doesn't understand it would be great =) Thank you