International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 08-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Yay! Short block almost complete!!! Almost because I haven't cleaned my oil pickup or the inside of my oil pan so I couldn't install them. I had to give up on trying to degree my cam. I couldn't get a good reading with the dial indicator I had (the mount was terrible!). I just stabbed my cam in, straight up. Yes, I know the balancer is not all the way on. I just stuck it on there to help me rotate the assembly.

Made a total NEWB bonehead mistake. Got it all together, took these pics, and started putting my tools away and noticed the oil slinger sitting on my desk.

Pulled it apart and installed it.

Not sure when I will get my pickup/pan on but hopefully it's soon.

09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 08-18-2018, 04:28 PM
350 Buick

Looking good Marc!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:51 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I'll tell you what; my little 85amp flux core welder WAS NOT the correct tool to use for welding this thick metal. I had to do some serious beveling to get this metal thin enough for my welds to penetrate, and even then, the welds are not very pretty.

Sorry this is a kinda late reply to an older post but I am just getting around to reading your build....

I have had to use smaller under powered welders before and it helps alot on penetration if you pre-heat the steel first with a torch... just my .02 worth of help.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Cherokee Outlaw

Waiting for someone to say something about that Fram filter
AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed
Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood65
I have had to use smaller under powered welders before and it helps alot on penetration if you pre-heat the steel first with a torch... just my .02 worth of help.
Copy that, Mike. If i have to weld heavy stuff again, I'll keep that in mind. once my rig is out of the garage and running, i plan to start trolling Craigslist for a better welder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
Waiting for someone to say something about that Fram filter
HAHA!!! It was freeeeee! People hate them or something? I run cheapie Frams on pretty much all my engines....
Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Cherokee Outlaw

Quote:
HAHA!!! It was freeeeee! People hate them or something? I run cheapie Frams on pretty much all my engines....
Crappy cardboard anti-drain back internals leave the engine starved for oil for a few seconds on start-up. Also, I seem to remember a member had a Fram filter come apart of them internally and wreck their engine.
AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed
Old 08-20-2018, 11:57 PM
304 AMC

When I saw the fram I almost had a seizure. Ok not really but close. Rang, seriously put a better filter on your build. I used to have a really great link to a very comprehensive oil filter study. It got taken down years ago. It showed how bad fram filters really were. Incomplete crimps on the pleats, glues that dissolve with oil exposure, very small surface areas. Plugged oil galleys and seized bearings from cardboard internals that soften and come apart. It was backed by photos and facts that are now gone from the site being removed. There are some much better filters available.
Your build is really looking great. I know you are spending hard earned bucks on it. The dirt you hear about frams is true. They are very low quality filter. If I can find any newer info about it I will post it for you to read. Anyway..... It is looking great.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 project J truck FOR SALE
1970 J truck long bed bed FOR SALE
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
83 CJ-7 excellent shape FOR SALE
And soon... Another M715! echo... echo...
Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Copy that, I appreciate the heads up. I'll add a couple oil filters to my next Rock Auto order. The first filter will only be used to break in the cam, then the oil gets changed and the filter gets replaced/cut open for inspection.

Having two reputable folks telling me the same thing is enough to convince me not to risk a bad startup.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 AM
350 Buick

I personally like Wix.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Administrator

I picked up my heads today. They look awesome! I have a bunch of little odds/ends to buy today on my way home from work, too. I drilled the 59mm hole in my firewall for my EFI harness grommet last night and started cleaning up my heater box (it was full of dirt, fuzz, and leaves=rust).

If this thread comes to a screeching halt, it's because my wife saw how much I spent at the machinist and has murdered me.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:14 PM
258 I6

Now I get your previous post about
keeping a Hemi swap in mind if my 360 rebuild
gets spendy... Build looks amazing.. Gets me excited for mine.
Good job and thanks for the pics.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Had a GREAT Weekend of work!

HEADS:
Got my heads painted, installed the freeze plugs, and port matched the exhaust side. I don't have any grandiose idea that I am adding gobs of power by port matching but its one of those things if I didn't do it, it would always bug me. What you'll see in these pictures is, the port with the gasket laid over it (you can see the overhang from the factory casting), then the etched line when the gasket is removed, after port matching (no overhang), and lastly is how the port looks as finished. Some of the ports were TERRIBLE: on 3 ports the dogleg was almost completely blocked. All of them had a lip almost all the way around. 2 of them had huge casting blobs inside the runner that I removed (like the size of a pencil eraser huge). I wrapped the heads in plastic and tape so the only exposed area were the runners, then stuffed a paper towel down over the valve to protect it. When I was done with all 4 ports on one head, I vacuumed it up with my shop vac, and pulled the papertowell out of the runner. Then I used an acid brush inside the runner. Before I install the head, I will clean the runners out with brake clean to get any traces of metal specs out. It took me about an hour to do all the exhaust ports. When my intake pan gasket shows up later this week, I'll do the intake side. I also plan to port match the intake manifold before it gets installed and the headers will also be matched.

Heater:
My heater box was GROSS!!! filled with leaves, dust, and fuzz (had a mouse house in there at some point). So the whole thing was cleaned and painted. I also flushed out my heater core. I had a hole about an inch across on the corner of the box and a crack about 3/4" long that I glassed over. I also did some re-work on a giant blob of fiberglass fix from the previous owner. This is the first time I have fiber glassed and I am really happy with the results. Red circles are my glass work, yellow is the previous owner's blob. I am a function over form type of person and this rig is a cruiser so I didn't spend a ton of time cleaning up the glass work, just enough where it isn't obnoxious any more and it is sealed from the engine compartment. It will be nice to not smell exhaust all the time when driving.

Firewall:
Wiped the whole firewall down with Castrol super clean, then wire wheeled it. I am not sure what the dude was doing at the factory painting on the passenger side but the paint was put down frothy. it came off super easy. I also noticed there was no primer on the firewall, but there was primer on the side of the cab but no paint. Not sure what AMC was doing when they painted this rig. After the wire wheel I sanded it all with 100 grit on a dual action sander and applied rust nuetralizer to the areas that had some rust (sides, and behind the heater box/fan). I started masking for primer after these pictures were taken. I hope to have it primered in the next 2 days and painted before Friday.

Steering column:
pulled my steering wheel and replaced my cruise control switch. the aftermarket one I bought seems well made but where is screws to the turn signal cam is a little smaller than factory so its not as sturdy as the factory one was. As I removed the factory one, I noticed 2 broken wires in the harness. No wonder it didn't work! haha! Threw a new neutral safety switch (mine failed a while ago and I had it bypassed) on the bottom and stuck it on the "ready for re-install" parts pile.

Other:
I cleaned my head bolts all up nicely and cleaned/evaluated my rockers, studs and nuts. Some of my studs have some wear, most of the fulcrums have wear, but the rockers themselves and the nuts look great. I have a long trip coming up so I may just save up and get some roller rockers while I am away...

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 08-27-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM
304 AMC

rang,

nice going, the progress is looking good....

ready to see that firewall painted, it will be nice.

thanks for all the photos and updates

it is fun to read about the upgrades from someone who is

really excited with each new step.

it gets us motivated to work on our projects.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 08-27-2018, 08:20 PM
350 Buick

Nice job Rang. You're doing that Jeep justice. Just gotta ask, you wanna buy a bead blaster?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Just gotta ask, you wanna buy a bead blaster?
Haha! You're darn right I do! But by the time I will have enough $$ to buy one, I won't need it anymore! LOL!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Long block is assembled! Good times! The rockers are not on but I want to get the engine sealed up so I put the valve covers on just to keep dust out. The intake runners didn't need much port matching at all: maybe a third of the work the exhaust side needed. The valve cover bolts are just some stainless ones I had lying around. I am undecided if I am going to use Stainless allen screws or clean the factory ones and use them.

I started on the intake manifold but the aluminum kept clogging my Dremel bit so I need to figure out a better bit to use. The runners on the intake are WAAaaaayyy off compared to the heads.

When I went to install the baffle on the bottom of the intake, there was interference I had to deal with. I used self tapping screws with blue thread locker to hold the baffle in. Anyone think that was a bad idea?

Heading up to Boise with my son for the weekend to get the keys to our new house and show him around so no Jeep work this weekend. I really want this engine sitting in my chassis in the next 2 weeks...
Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Heading up to Boise with my son for the weekend to get the keys to our new house and show him around so no Jeep work this weekend. I really want this engine sitting in my chassis in the next 2 weeks...

Engine really looks great! Congratulations on your new digs too!

"Well I've been down so GD long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 04-12-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Administrator

I had a total bummer of a weekend worth of work. I masked my firewall and primered it on Wednesday afternoon. Early Saturday morning I sprayed the base coat on it and it looked AWESOME! I was soooo pumped! I let it dry to the touch (about 20 minutes) as the can said, then sprayed the clear over it. I stepped back and admired the best looking Saxon Yellow firewall I had ever seen...... Then over by my VIN tag, I noticed a little bubbling... Uuuhh... maybe that was just the rust converter in that spot...

For the next 40 minutes I watched in horror as pretty much the WHOLE firewall bubbled and peeled. I was ready to cry. Here is a tiny picture of what my whole firewall looks like.

I am fairly certain it's the primer. When I rub my fingernail over the bubbling, the paint comes right off and there is bare metal underneath. I have to re-do the whole firewall. I guess I'll get my chance to use my small bead blaster on it... The biggest bummer is I will not be able to get it done before I leave on my 6 week business trip. I REALLY wanted to mount my engine in the frame before I left. Nope.

I was able to finish port matching my intake. It took ALOT of work: the ports were significantly "off" from the intake pan gasket (all 8 runners looked like the 2 in my post above or worse). I'll take a picture tonight when I get home of the finished product. I would guess I opened up the runners about 10% each.

Last night I put a bunch of stuff away, swept/vacuum/mopped the garage floor and went to bed feeling defeated. Before I leave I'll mount my intake and some of the items on it (EGR, TStat, etc.) but that will probably be it. I might start on mounting my accessories/belt drive but IDK. We'll see.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM
304 AMC

You might need to use a primer made for bare metal. Not all primers are made for bare metal. Maybe someone that knows more than me will chime in and help.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 09-10-2018, 05:28 PM
304 AMC

What kind of primer, paint and clear?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.