International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 01-21-2021, 03:11 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I am with you! I HATE mismatched tires. The rim looks fantastic.

Thank you, now I just need to re-paint the rest of them

Quote:
I thought you were going to say the buyer broke something. As annoying as that is that the pump died, at least you know what it is and you know it was not something schiesty.

We are selling the car for nothing really but a 2002 Mustang with a V6 isn't really worth much even if it has under 100,000 miles. It's been a good car and has paid for itself over the years.

It's kind of a funny story. My son was doing well, working and had finally gotten all his crap together and needed a car to get to work. I decided to buy him one but I'm a cheap bastard so it was going to need some fixing. I asked him what kind of car he would like and his first answer was "an old Mustang".

So I started looking at '65 thru '68 mustangs with 6 cylinders and auto trans and sent him some links saying "what about this one?"

His response was "Not that old!" So I had to ask what his definition of "old" was and he responded with '98 or newer. So I changed gears and started looking in those years.

The Mustang was done on the cheap. I bought one that was a light front end hit project with less than 80,000 miles, that some kid had started fixing but it was too much for him so he gave up.

Growing up in a junk yard you learn that light front hits are what you want. In this case the kid had already done most of the work with new radiator, core support, a/c condenser and pretty much everything but a new K member.

We then bought another one with new tires but a rod through the side of the engine block to get parts off of and made one good one from the two.

My son mentioned yesterday that he is actually reluctant to sell it to someone who lives 2 houses away because he's afraid he is going to hear about it every time something goes wrong on a 19 year old car but I think whomever buys it should be very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
To me a new tire for a spare is waist of money.
On most vehicles you don't see the spare tire , and because of not in use the tire gets old and dries out.
So why not use a used one in good enough shape and some okay thread for spare tire!?

Ordinarily I would agree with you but there are a few factors at play. First is the left front is wearing to the inside, it isn't significant yet but there is noticeable wear but the major thing is cost. Around here used tires cost nearly what new ones do. On top of that it costs something like $40 a tire to have one mounted and balanced, so the cost of buying a used spare tire, then having the tire currently on the truck removed from that wheel and mounted on the new wheel and having the used tire mounted on the bad wheel would cost as much as a new tire so it would work out best if I could just find a matching new tire.

As far as seeing the tire, my truck doesn't have a mount under the truck and judging from hole locations I would guess the original spare tire mount was on the forward right hand side of the bed where it mounted vertically. I'm currently thinking about fabricating a spare tire mount to mount the spare in the same place, although underneath in the back would be better.

I am currently thinking I will see if the shop at work will let me use their tire machine to remove and mount the tire I have but the last time I talked to them about it they talked about problems with their machine damaging tires or rims and I really prefer not to damage anything.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:52 AM
304 AMC

love the rim restoration photos

it just feels good to blast away the rust,

prime and paint

like new

better than new cause you know you did it.

been wondering what you were doing

watching some tv and drinking the happy apple juice that fermented....???

good to see you are kicking

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 01-23-2021, 08:10 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
love the rim restoration photos

it just feels good to blast away the rust,

prime and paint

like new

better than new cause you know you did it.

been wondering what you were doing

watching some tv and drinking the happy apple juice that fermented....???

good to see you are kicking

dave in NC

I've been around, I try to get online before work every morning and see what's going on but haven't had a lot of time lately. I've been working on the house some but this time of year it's hard to get motivated to do much of anything. Winter in Seattle is dark, cold and wet and all I want to do when I get off work is sit in front of a warm fire and maybe play video games but my PS2 just broke and the world keeps forcing me to do other things like take my son to all day doctor appointments up at the University of Washington on my days off. Then the problems with the Mustang and it just sucks my motivation away. We went back to 40hrs a week at work this month which is good for the pay check but really I kind of liked the reduced hours, it gave me time to do stuff.

I've been trying to get myself motivated but struggling. I still have 200 lbs of apples in my garage that I should have pressed a month or more ago and I need to get the garage cleaned so I can get the Buicedes in and get back to working on it. It really should go in the hall of shame at this point. Mrs Cranky has given up on it getting done and ordered me to get it ready to sell but then other times she says things about working on it again. She really wants her car done but she also wants the house finished and a million other things.

This is normally the time of year I start working on improvements to my apple processing equipment but would need to buy a new table saw first and just keep not buying it.

All of that said I did make another attempt today at the tailgate chains which was a bit more successful than the last time, although I only work on one at a time.

So this morning I removed the right side chain. If you look in the picture with the apples you can see the chains were beginning to rust again. While painting them I ran out of paint, this new paint doesn't go as far as it did 30 years ago. I thought I had them covered good enough at the time but it's hard to get complete coverage on a chain.

Anyway here is what it looked like this morning.

Getting rusty and making the rest of the truck look shabby. So off it went to the sandblaster.

All nice and clean now. Next I put it under a heat lamp and got it nice and warm so the paint would dry fast. I was extra careful to get complete coverage with the primer.

and even more careful to to get full coverage with the paint. I am using Perfect match spray paint in Wimbledon white, which as actually a good match for the Restoration Shop brand Wimbledon white as well as Fords. The only real issue is the Perfect Match requires a clear coat and the clear coat stays soft longer so the paint has to cure for a day or two after painting before it will be durable but painting whenever I had a few spare minutes and keeping the part under the heat lamp at the end of the day it looked like this.

All painted and ready to put back on. Ultimately I plan on replacing the chains with stainless steel ones but this should do in the meantime.

My plan tomorrow is hopefully to get the tire swapped over to the new rim but we will have to see how that goes. Sundays tend to be very busy.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:22 AM
258 I6

About the chains , you could also go for galvanized chain.
Or if you want to keep the original chains , putting a piece of bicycle inner tube over it for protection the tailgate and bedside ends.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:25 AM
258 I6

I also have a question about the measurements of the tailgate!

Could you tell what the length and height is of the tailgate you have on the truck?

I'm asking because the one in my 73 j4000 with the handle in the middle measures 151 centimetres from left to right and 52 centimetres high.
And the one with the locking tab on the gate i found for sale online measures 145 X 54 , and it would be helpful to know if this tailgate would fit a 70 j4000 with the round taillights!?
Thanks

73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul

Last edited by Heep-J4000 : 01-24-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:53 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
About the chains , you could also go for galvanized chain.
Or if you want to keep the original chains , putting a piece of bicycle inner tube over it for protection the tailgate and bedside ends.

I will probably come up with some type of chain cover but I am really thinking I would prefer stainless steel.

Quote:
I also have a question about the measurements of the tailgate!

Could you tell what the length and height is of the tailgate you have on the truck?

I'm asking because the one in my 73 j4000 with the handle in the middle measures 151 centimetres from left to right and 52 centimetres high.
And the one with the locking tab on the gate i found for sale online measures 145 X 54 , and it would be helpful to know if this tailgate would fit a 70 j4000 with the round taillights!?
Thanks

I can get exact measurements tomorrow if you like but from memory when I converted the post '72 tailgate to a pre '73 I had to cut off right about 2 inches which is right around 6 centimeters. I don't recall any difference in height.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:17 PM
327 Rambler

Today on my way to work my low beams stopped working. For the past few days high beams had been acting up and requiring me to press the switch several times before they would work.

When I got to work I looked at the switch and found this

and when I tried to disconnect it the switch fell apart

So I clipped the wires and wired it so it only has low beams and ordered a new switch and pigtail.

In spite of that little issue today was quite productive.

I got the right chain back on

I'm quite happy with that.

and I took the tire into the shop that does that and asked if I could use their tire machine to change it. Their response was to ask me if I had ever used their machine and a lot of words of caution. I looked at the machine and since it was like one I used 30+ years ago I figured I could handle it.

It isn't the easiest machine to use but it worked and this afternoon I finally got to do something I've been wanting to do since I bought the truck...

Install the right front hubcap

Maybe tomorrow I will start tackling the other tailgate chain or maybe start working on reinstalling the door cards. The door cards being off drives my wife crazy. I hope some day to actually get her to ride in it and reinstalling the door cards is a step in that direction
Old 01-24-2021, 10:50 PM
327 Rambler

Great pic, looks like that old thing has seen some years and miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 01-25-2021, 07:20 AM
258 I6

Quote:
I will probably come up with some type of chain cover but I am really thinking I would prefer stainless steel.

I can get exact measurements tomorrow if you like but from memory when I converted the post '72 tailgate to a pre '73 I had to cut off right about 2 inches which is right around 6 centimeters. I don't recall any difference in height.

If you can measure the height for me that would be very helpful!
Thanks much

And also thanks for the pictures of the work you do on the truck!

Old 01-25-2021, 03:59 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
If you can measure the height for me that would be very helpful!
Thanks much

And also thanks for the pictures of the work you do on the truck!

OK I measured both my tailgates today and they are both 21.6 inches tall x 57.6 inches wide. According to the interweb that translates to 54.86cm X 146.3cm.

It seems odd that you might be getting different numbers given that one of mine is a cut down '73 and the other is a '68 and both measure exactly the same but maybe there were some variations at the factory. I think there is a little bit of play in the nutplates for the hinges but not all that much. Personally if someone had one that looked right and was close I'd buy it but that's just me and I wouldn't be above slotting the hinge bolt holes or even adding metal if it were needed..
Old 01-25-2021, 04:52 PM
258 I6

Thanks much , this does help me a lot!

I know one for sale and when I looked at the pictures from the seller it looked like a early tailgate with the locking tabs.
And that is what I'm looking for (future project)

I asked him about the measurements , but they were different than my 73 j4000 tailgate.
So that was the reason I posted a thread with the question about the tailgate differences and if someone does know if there was a difference.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189514

But you did post about your chains and that made me asking you about the measurements.

So I guess that the truck beds with round taillights have a narrow tailgate.
And that is what I needed to know!

Last edited by Heep-J4000 : 01-25-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:30 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Thanks much , this does help me a lot!

I know one for sale and when I looked at the pictures from the seller it looked like a early tailgate with the locking tabs.
And that is what I'm looking for (future project)

I asked him about the measurements , but they were different than my 73 j4000 tailgate.
So that was the reason I posted a thread with the question about the tailgate differences and if someone does know if there was a difference.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189514

But you did post about your chains and that made me asking you about the measurements.

So I guess that the truck beds with round taillights have a narrow tailgate.
And that is what I needed to know!

I haven't been around much so hadn't seen your post or I would have answered it there. If you look back through my posts back on 4-18-19 (page 7 of this thread} you can see how much I had to cut off to convert a, AMC era tailgate to a Kaiser era.

I think I will go ahead and post the answer in your thread so if people search they will find it there.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:30 AM
258 I6

Quote:
I haven't been around much so hadn't seen your post or I would have answered it there. If you look back through my posts back on 4-18-19 (page 7 of this thread} you can see how much I had to cut off to convert a, AMC era tailgate to a Kaiser era.

I think I will go ahead and post the answer in your thread so if people search they will find it there.

Yes I did see that , but wasn't completely sure that you narrowed the tailgate.

And yes if you still reply on the thread I posted then it could help others in the future.

I shall not side track your thread with lots of questions for now!

Thanks

Old 01-26-2021, 07:25 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
I shall not side track your thread with lots of questions for now!

Thanks

I don't mind answering any questions you may have and really this thread tends to be the most likely place for me to see something.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:17 PM
327 Rambler

Haven't really been doing anything worth posting about lately but today something happened that I just need to talk about.

Today on my way home from work I noticed my passenger side mirror is now broken

I'm certain it wasn't broken yesterday and fairly certain it wasn't broken when I backed into my parking spot at work today but somehow it's broken now. I'm pretty upset because I got them back in April of 2018 and had to drive to Olympia to get them but they were in really nice shape. Now I need to see if I still have the old ones that don't look very good or try to find a matching one or see if I can figure out how to just replace the glass.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Take it to a glass shop! They may be able to fix it!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Those look like the standard tripod mirror heads that were used on everything for thirty years. New heads are probably on the peg at any local auto parts store.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:51 AM
258 I6

I hope there is no other damage on your truck!

Like rang-a-stang mentioned ,a good glass shop could make a new one for you if you make a template from the original glass.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:33 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Those look like the standard tripod mirror heads that were used on everything for thirty years. New heads are probably on the peg at any local auto parts store.

They are but the problem is they haven't been used on anything for more than 20 years and I will look but I doubt any parts stores around me have any, maybe if I can find an old place but all those seem to have been replaced by new ones.

Quote:
Take it to a glass shop! They may be able to fix it!

Quote:
I hope there is no other damage on your truck!

Like rang-a-stang mentioned ,a good glass shop could make a new one for you if you make a template from the original glass.

I don't see any other damage, not even to the back of the head, so the truck is OK just a busted mirror.

I'm thinking I might see if I can fix it myself. I used to make stained glass windows so I have a good glass cutter and glass grinder and possibly even a suitable piece of mirror or two around. I don't think it would be too difficult to fix. I'll have to see if I can find my glass stuff.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:30 AM
258 I6

Don't know what the dimensions are ,but there are some not expensive ones on eBay,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Of-For....c100892.m5207