International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 AM
230 Tornado

Manual tailgate window crank

So, I came home to find that my tailgate window crank was missing along with the key cylinder, etc... Now, all I have remaining is a hole with a male spline inside it.

1) Can these cranks be removed from the outside (stolen)?
2) Anybody know where I can find a replacement? They appear to be in short supply.

This is for a 1979 Cherokee Chief.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 AM

BJ's used to sell them from Crown but I think they quit. They were really poor quality. Splines were made of old cheese. If your window works absolutely well the Crown brand was ok but if you have to muscle the window up they'ed strip out.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Grease Monkey

Team Grand Wagoneer

Heres a kit they offer to go from electric to Manual. Maybe some day I can afford to do this to my Wag. My window works a bit slow due to my crummy wiring system

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/man...-gw-1974-1991/

U-993

Hey there Yohoo, fix yourself!!

My jeep
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...highlight=1990
Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks for the link! Ouch on the price.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Be aware

That is the Crowne crank & the Crowne mechanism both are known for their Bad quality. Buyer beware. If they were good they would be closer to 300.00 bucks. Find an electric system out of a junker. Install it with a wiring harness & be done with it. the cost would be about 200.00.
There was a guy down in weather ford on Craigslist that had a mechanism for sale.

Good luck on what ever you do.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 09-06-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:45 PM

I wish I'd had the foresite to buy up all the OEM ones Oly4x4 was selling back in 2000. I got one for my '83 so I could sell the rig and that was my last rear window I had to worry about on my own. I "redneckgineered" a few since then (modded window crank handle with an extension)
Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 AM
258 I6

if youre looking for a replacement crank and key cylinder, i have a new set i picked up from BJs maybe 4-5years ago and never got around tp installing them. they may be the previously mentioned crowns (handle no longer has a box) but theyre unused and look pretty. Looks like i paid just over $50 shipped. if youre interested ill mail them to you to break even.

360, 727, 219, 35s
Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...
Old 09-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Gone. Not Forgotten.

I think it is half user error/half quality issues, they were never very tough from the factory, with people thinking they can just slap in a manual regulator without checking and repairing the alignment of the tailgate, the weather stripping .... to ensure the glass opens and closes smoothly, the new crank gets the blame for striped splines (the weak link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
That is the Crowne crank & the Crowne mechanism both are known for their Bad quality. Buyer beware. If they were good they would be closer to 300.00 bucks. Find an electric system out of a junker. Install it with a wiring harness & be done with it. the coswt would be about 200.00.
There was a guy down in weather ford on Craigslist that had a mechanism for sale.

Good luck on what ever you do.

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
And the other stuff that gets driven
----------------------------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Could be

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdill
I think it is half user error/half quality issues, they were never very tough from the factory, with people thinking they can just slap in a manual regulator without checking and repairing the alignment of the tailgate, the weather stripping .... to ensure the glass opens and closes smoothly, the new crank gets the blame for striped splines (the weak link).

I've owned both & didn't see this to be the case with my experience.. everything in my tailgate was neew & it doesn't bind. I've seen several OEM's that I had last 20 years. I couldn't get that out of the Crowne unit. One was in the Cherokee I have now when I bought it after fooling with it for 2 years 3 handles then the gears started jumping which I never saw a OEM unit do. I'm sure frequency of usage mechanical issues individual treatment are all mitigating factors. My experience showed me the Crowne was inferior. The same Cherokee with the same track has been trouble free free 5 years since I changed to OEM electric. I trashed it & put in an electric one & started building harnesses. I'll never go back to manual, However I'm sue there are ones out there that's life's were shortened by bad installs & set ups.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.