International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Manual Rear Window Crank Swap

I just swapped a manual rear window crank into my '76 Cherokee. From what I know the handle and cranks are not reproduction. When I installed the handle onto the regulator it only grabbed about 1/4" of the shaft. Since that is all it grabbed I stripped the grooves on the handle in that 1/4". So I read a few threads and decided to trim some of the flange off of the handle where it meets the tailgate. It is working now, but I am worried that my fix was a bad one. So basically has anyone else had to do something similar when swapping a manual regulator and handle for an electric one? Or what other fix is there for this problem?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM
304 AMC

Did you reuse the spacer that was on the old electric regulator.
If so you will need to remove them. The two manual regulator
that I have pulled one did not have any spacer and the other
had 1/4" spacer. If you need 1/4" spacer use 1/4" nut and drill
them out so the screw will turn freely in them.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM

I did not use the spacers. If I would have then I don't think the shaft would have even touched the handle. I am trying to get the handle closer to the regulator. I just hope it holds up for a while.

Also JS you should know that the clips worked perfectly. Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM
304 AMC

I am glad the clips worked for you.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 AM
350 Buick

It might be prudent to save your stripped handle particularly if it is in otherwise good condition. I have come up with a way to repair these but it requires some tooling to be made. I cannot say when/if this will be done.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Well get on it threepiece! I am probably going to need one. I think I just stripped the handle out completely, on the first attempt at rolling it up and down.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a manual rear window tailgate, and an electric rear window tailgate? I am trying to figure out if the handle I have, that is now stripped completely, is too short for my tailgate somehow. The manual setup I have was a full working unit before it was pulled and sent to me. Is there a difference in tailgates from year to year? Is there a handle that has a long female end to slide further onto the shaft of the regulator? Are there two different lengths of shafts on the manual regulators? Just trying to figure out where to go next with this.