International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Gear Head

(selecting a) Snow plow question

Boys, Ive got a question or two for you tonight, and Im hoping somebody can step forward with a little input.

With winter coming up soon, Ive sort of made the mental commitment to either

A.) Buying an old plow truck
B.) Purchasing a used plow to hook up to my J200 (w/360)

Ive seen a few Fisher minute-mount plows in my area at reasonable prices and Im wondering if anybody has ever set up their J-truck with one of these?

Im just looking at plowing the 100 yards or so of my driveway when it gets thich up here (I live in Farm area and these past few years the older plow fellas have been retiring since all the younger families are using their 4 wheelers or own plows) so I need to get resourceful out here in the stix.

Ive never owned a plow of my own and am also wondering if its worth buying into one of these electrical/hydraulic type setups. Again, Im just doing my own yard and dont mind having to get out and manually adjust the blade.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks as always boys,

Chuck Brown
1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift
Old 10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Ristows' Minion

Hey Chuck, how's it going? Assuming you can find a used plow set up for your truck, I'd do that if I were you. Buying a used plow truck is risky. Usually a reason someone is getting rid of it. They tend to be pretty rusty, which usually means wiring, fuel lines, brake lines etc. are rusty also. I plow commercially here in Milwaukee and we will usually buy a truck from a private party and install a plow, sometimes even new plows. The Fisher is a good plow, actually owned by Western, shares many parts with Western. We have one and it's been pretty bullet proof. I have a Meyer for one of my Wagoneers, not really by choice, just what I came across for an FSJ. They are decent (also owned by Western) as well as Boss and Western. Snoway makes an OK plow for homeowner use and was still making mounts for FSJs until recently. A skilled fabricator can easily alter mounting brackets from other makes to work with FSJs also if you can't find an FSJ mount. Wiring is pretty much the same for all. Good Luck! Someday I'll work on getting you those parts! LOL. Brett.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Gear Head

No problem on those parts Brett, we all get busy sometimes and whenever youre ready we can finalize things, so dont stress!

Thanks for your tips pal, it will help get me on the right track for sure.

If Im just doing my driveway, say once a week, is it worthwhile to drop $500 on a Fisher 6.5' Minute Mount to use with my J200? Not sure what it came off of (has a new motor), but Im assuming I would have to prolly fabricate some sort of mounting brackets for my rig. I'll try and post pics shortly to give you an idea, but any and all help is appreciated as I attempt to get "winterized" out here!

Chuck Brown
Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Gear Head

Because pics make everything better:

Chuck Brown
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Ristows' Minion

Personally, with a driveway that big, I would have a plow (in fact I do!). Call me lazy, but what will take you a couple hours to do with a blower, you can do in 5 minutes. Plow looks pretty decent for the money, but you will need a wiring harness and controller, plus mount. That's another $500 easy for used parts. New controllers are $200+, wiring harness probaly close to the same and the mount about $300-400. Hope this helps you out a bit!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM

Well If I can make a suggestion I have another idea for you. I work for a Truck Accessory Store and we sell a plow that is super easy and doesnt require any motors or electrical stuff to use it. I am not offering this to sell you as I am sure we are states away. However i will put a link below for you to check it out. I have personally used this plow right next to a 8' Meyer that we have too and this plow does everything the Meyer does and doesnt break down on me.

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/p.../category/C24/