International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: Will an engine over heat without a thermostat?
Nope! It will never reach operating temp 15 88.24%
Yes! Don't do it! You will over heat! 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2021, 09:04 AM
304 AMC

All things being said Ristow is right...hmmm think about that.

Quote:
if your cooling system can keep the engine cool with a thermostat,it will keep it cool without.

Personally after having spent 30 yrs involved with cooling towers and relative flow of about 6000gpm, transferring heat into the water was very easy...getting it out was another thing. Still very dependent on flowrates and dewpoint(affected a lot by humidity). Many times we did a better job through the tower(radiator) buy slowing the flow down rather than just speeding it up.
More tower cells(rows/fins) tended to manage the amount of cooling drastically. When took a tower cell down for cleaning and ran 3/4 of the system...we just plain had to limit the amount of flow...hence the idea that a bigger, better radiator does more work(heat transfer) with the same flow.
J20

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"
Old 03-09-2021, 03:32 PM

The thermostat keeps the engine warm. Its gonna run cool with ot removed. Go talk to anyone thats had a thermostat stick open on a big diesel. It ran cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 03-10-2021, 08:58 AM
304 AMC

And to your earlier point Ristow, the diesel rigs cooling system is built to handle lotsa heat transfer. It would be interesting to run the simulations to include egt...

The cummins diesels I have had were built w/ programming to heat up is too cool at idle. The egt is directly proportional to how much boost is going on as well as the ambient temp on my truck.
J20

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Last edited by J20 project : 03-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:07 PM

now,i do believe the slight pressure that the water pump makes in the block due to the restriction of the closed thermostat does enhance the recirculation of the coolant thru the bypass system. without the thermostat you may see elevated temps depending on block design,and where the temp sender is.

but not overheating,and certainly not runaway overheating.

Quote:

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 03-10-2021, 12:08 PM

sweet merciful crap! fix those huge images!!

Quote:

Quote:

Old 03-10-2021, 01:26 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
sweet merciful crap! fix those huge images!!

lol
Old 03-13-2021, 10:19 AM
258 I6

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/...to-avoid-them/

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:18 AM
304 AMC

What're you saying there Heep?

Since it said it on a flashy web page it's true?

Or are you thinking all the posts refuting what the author wrote had it correct?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:22 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J20 project
All things being said Ristow is right...hmmm think about that.

Personally after having spent 30 yrs involved with cooling towers and relative flow of about 6000gpm, transferring heat into the water was very easy...getting it out was another thing. Still very dependent on flowrates and dewpoint(affected a lot by humidity). Many times we did a better job through the tower(radiator) buy slowing the flow down rather than just speeding it up.
More tower cells(rows/fins) tended to manage the amount of cooling drastically. When took a tower cell down for cleaning and ran 3/4 of the system...we just plain had to limit the amount of flow...hence the idea that a bigger, better radiator does more work(heat transfer) with the same flow.
J20

Nobody's saying that running more radiator won't cool better though the coolant velocity is lower.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:47 AM
Administrator

I just broke my axle and will not be able to fix it until I get home from a 6 week business trip. I won't be able to run this until mid May.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 03-13-2021, 12:38 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
What're you saying there Heep?

Since it said it on a flashy web page it's true?

Or are you thinking all the posts refuting what the author wrote had it correct?

Just came across the article while searching for a alloy radiator to fit in front of a 12 valve Cummins and put it in my J-4000

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Back in the game! Axle fixed, two successful round trips to work complete, new T-Stat in hand (to go in after the "No TStat runs" are complete). I plan to pull my existing TStat out this weekend and will drive my truck to work Tuesday next week, logging data, then showing it off here.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Be sure o cook the Stat in water on a stove to make sure it opens when it is supposed to. I have bad brand new ones before.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:24 PM
232 I6

That will be an interesting experiment, rang.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 06-09-2021, 06:52 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC/397
Be sure o cook the Stat in water on a stove to make sure it opens when it is supposed to. I have bad brand new ones before.
A super handy idea, I usually ask for two or three from the parts store when I buy a replacement and test them in pot of water before I install them, saves me having to drain the coolant again if the tstat was bad.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 06-09-2021, 09:08 PM
258 I6

That's not very many stop signs for 30 minutes 6 seconds in CaliforneiA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Control drive to work complete. Here is "normal" conditions. Red dots at the bottom on the time axis represent times when I was sitting at a red light or stop sign. The purple'ish color on the far right is engine run tim in seconds. All the other values are self explanatory

I'll log drive home as well. I plan to run the "No TStat" runs in mid March to allow a few more comments.

"Well I've been down so God damn long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis (but Doors version)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:14 PM
258 I6

Holy schomolie! even less stop lights in about the same amount of time!!! Ya sure you're in CA???

Quote:
Had to go home a different way but still a valid sample. This one includes some freeway driving. Yep. Port Hueneme, my desk is on station.

Some of my observations:
1) It's interesting that the TStat opens at about the same run time even though my engine started 30F warmer
2) I think it's cool that when the TStat first opens, the coolan in the rad is super cold and drops the temp quite a bit, then as the aluminum rad heats up, the temp goes to 200F plus or minus 5.
3) My engine runs cooler at lower than 25MPH because my fan runs at that temp.
4) When I left home this morning, it was 70 degrees and sunny. When I get to work it was 68 and sunny. When I left work it was 74 and sunny. When I shut my truck down in Oxnard this afternoon, it was high 70s and sunny, no breeze. I did not get dew point or humidity measurements.

You guys all put some good stuff in these comments! The answer isn't as simple as I thought it would be! I'm excited to see what happens when I pull the TStat.

For the record, if coolant temp goes over 210 during the "No TStat run" I will pull over, pop the hood, and let it cool down. That will be a successful test showing it will over heat without a TStat.

"Well I've been down so God damn long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis (but Doors version)
Old 06-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC/397
Be sure to cook the Stat in water on a stove to make sure it opens when it is supposed to. I have bad brand new ones before.
I am really glad you said that, Rick. I have never checked a new TStat and always assumed they just "worked". I stuck my new one in a pot with a thermometer this morning and at 220 degrees, I shut the heat off and let it sit for 10 minutes. It never opened. Guess I am going back to McParts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
A super handy idea, I usually ask for two or three from the parts store when I buy a replacement and test them in pot of water before I install them, saves me having to drain the coolant again if the tstat was bad.
Concur. Wish I would have thought of grabbing 2 or more. I did grab two 1/4" NPT petcocks to replace the block drain plugs but that won't do me much good if my TStat does not work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonphil
That will be an interesting experiment, rang.
Yeah, we'll see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehwy
That's not very many stop signs for 30 minutes 6 seconds in CaliforneiA...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehwy
Holy schomolie! even less stop lights in about the same amount of time!!! Ya sure you're in CA???
HAHAHAHAHA!! Honestly, of all the things I am going to miss when I move next summer, my commute is one of the bigger ones. I drive through strawberry fields and other farms almost the whole way to work. 20 minutes of smelling fresh strawberries, driving against traffic, 401 howling through long tube headers, windows down, ahhhhhh......
Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 PM
258 I6

Quote:
I am really glad you said that, Rick. I have never checked a new TStat and always assumed they just "worked". I stuck my new one in a pot with a thermometer this morning and at 220 degrees, I shut the heat off and let it sit for 10 minutes. It never opened. Guess I am going back to McParts.

Concur. Wish I would have thought of grabbing 2 or more. I did grab two 1/4" NPT petcocks to replace the block drain plugs but that won't do me much good if my TStat does not work.

Yeah, we'll see!

HAHAHAHAHA!! Honestly, of all the things I am going to miss when I move next summer, my commute is one of the bigger ones. I drive through strawberry fields and other farms almost the whole way to work. 20 minutes of smelling fresh strawberries, driving against traffic, 401 howling through long tube headers, windows down, ahhhhhh......

I know the area well. I've worked all over there since I was a kid. Most recently for spacex...