International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 PM
304 AMC

I think I had better not bring any more home. I am exceeding the I can get all that done in this lifetime quota. Plus the wife warned me about leaving town and coming home to another rig in the yard. I got away with that twice now. I think I need an intervention.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 project J truck FOR SALE
1970 J truck long bed bed FOR SALE
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
83 CJ-7 excellent shape FOR SALE
And soon... Another M715! echo... echo...
Old 04-16-2018, 11:35 AM
232 I6

That is a very pretty truck. It's a good paint combo.
You make me glad that trucks don't have tailgates. The windows seem complicated enough.
You'll have to tell us if there was any single piece that you never touched. Seems like there won't be.
Keep up the awesome work.

You know it's a good morning when the gas gauge works for the whole drive.

1970.5 Gladiator J-4800 Camper Special Custom Cab - 55,000 Miles (Under Reconstruction)
1967 Jeepster Convertible - 8071 Deluxe - 65,000 Miles
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM
304 AMC

I will have to look for something that is not corroded to put back on. Just to say I did.
Currently trying to fix the wifes Subaru. The brakes are seized up solid from the road silt and salt. I do this every spring with her car. And it has been snowing all morning. I think Frank has arranged a joke somehow.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Old 04-17-2018, 06:02 PM
350 Buick

If it makes you feel any better, it snowed all day up here in the Poconos. April 17th and this crap is getting old! I trailered my YJ mutt up here with hopes of doing a few things to it in the evenings, but it is just too cold and wet. Sure wish i was in my garage back in VA..

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, Aussie rear, LDS front, 4.10s
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
Old 04-19-2018, 06:46 PM
304 AMC

65 today. The snow is melting fast. I loaded the horrible freight soda blaster and got all 6 door latches clean after a long cleaning in the solvent tank. Sprayed with carb cleaner then a thorough soaking with naptha. I used soda since it will come out of the lock assemblies easier than glass bead or sand. It also dissolves when wet so it worked great. I also drilled out a board and blasted 30+ screws for the doors. They all needed to be green. I got the booth cleaned out and went for it.

The slow process of loading soda in the blaster. I don't use this much. It is messy and has it's place. It actually worked well for what I was doing.

While I was at it outside I grabbed the radiator and found it cleans the now straight fins really well. I had a ton of green copper corrosion on most of the fins. The soda took it all off without any damage to the fins. The best way to straighten radiator fins is a straight O-ring pick. I had a fin comb and the o-ring pick works way better. There were some pretty funky repairs done to this upper tank. As long as it holds coolant.

Everything that needed to be done for putting the door guts in got cleaned and made green today. Plus the tailgate hinge covers, and the rear window surround. I did a big collection of door latch shims too. I painted enough to make the shims you could see green, but silver shims under the top one did not look right. Now they are all green.

Tedious work but good progress today.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 PM
304 AMC

And happy birthday to Bill the owner of Sadie today. He has been trying to post but something has not been working. Happy birthday Bill.
I have a shiny new 70 wagoneer for you.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 PM
258 I6

Sweet! I did some door parts today too, I powder coated my door handles and lock cylinders satin black

88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))
Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
And happy birthday to Bill the owner of Sadie today. He has been trying to post but something has not been working. Happy birthday Bill.
I have a shiny new 70 wagoneer for you.
that would be the best Bday present ever!
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthewelder
Sweet! I did some door parts today too, I powder coated my door handles and lock cylinders satin black

Those look super! You are lucky to have a system like that. I might start bugging you about fusion 360 soon. I am going to have to do something about door panels. They are not a simple rectangle. But slightly radius'ed on each edge. The door handles and locks look sweet!

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Old 04-19-2018, 07:43 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Those look super! You are lucky to have a system like that. I might start bugging you about fusion 360 soon. I am going to have to do something about door panels. They are not a simple rectangle. But slightly radius'ed on each edge. The door handles and locks look sweet!

Thank you sir. I've been looking at mine and trying to wrap my head around what I'm going to do, when I get it figured out I will let you know. Are you still going to the class that had all the cool toys?
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 PM
304 AMC

No I was blowing money out the window just being a member there. I plan on paying for another month's membership when I can go back every day till I have door panels in my hands.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Old 04-25-2018, 05:05 PM
230 Tornado

Hello all, my name is Bill and I am the proud owner of Sadie aka “Sadie the Lady”. I now know that meeting Al in ‘78 at middle school was like winning the FSJ lottery!

Although this is my first post, I do avidly check this thread and feel like I know many of you that post regularly.

A brief history… In 1994, Al found Sadie for me somewhere in Oregon. He called me and I bought her sight unseen for less than $400. She was in rough shape. It looked like she sat for quite awhile and was used as a kids playhouse and had a 22 bullet hole in one door. With some TLC and Al's expertise we got her going and she was my daily driver for 15 years with very few problems. In 2010, when Al wanted to strike out on his own and work for himself, I jumped at the opportunity to have him do his magic. I convinced him that it would be a win-win situation, but I think we all know who got the better end of the deal. This definitely began for sentimental reasons, and yes I do plan to enjoy driving her on a regular basis.

One more thing… there was another 70 Wagoneer up here in Seattle for sale a while back. One of the pictures showed the VIN tag. Out of curiosity I found an old registration for Sadie and compared numbers. It turns out that Sadie was only 1 vehicle ahead on the production line.

Keep up the good work Al!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Administrator

HECK YEAH!! Welcome to the group, Bill!!! I feel like I know Sadie better than my own rig! I think I speak for just about EVERY IFSJA.org member when I say I am REALLY glad he's building this rig for you, sharing the updates with us, and enjoying progress. Thanks for posting your story!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 PM
350 Buick

Hi Bill and welcome. You have a great story and a beautiful rig there. I'd love to have Al work on my rig. Lol. I can't wait to see that beauty finished!

Last edited by bkilby : 04-27-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 PM
327 Rambler

Bill, you are going to get a great jeep back! Enjoy!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:26 AM
304 AMC

It's about time Mr. Bill. It was 325.00 bullet hole and all.

The last few days have been busy. I have been painting small parts and loading stuff on. Monday I had to go get the grills for more repairs. They had etched out the lab metal with sand blasting and they really needed more work.
I took them back today. I ended up making a neat dent remover by taking a pair of seaming pliers and duct taping a steel ball on one jaw. I used a gasket punch on the tape and put the steel ball on with it. It was perfect at chasing the very small dents out. Then faced lightly with a fine file I now have no repair filler in the bad spots.

The makeshift dent remover. This worked so well I am going to make a variation of this out of a pair of pliers, possibly vice grip's.

The end result, no filler.

Sadies original grill had a big worn spot all the way through. I did not notice this before. I made a tape dam and filled it.

I file and sanded it smooth and level this morning before the three hour round trip to get the grills back to the powder coater. The new shiney chrome powder coat is in.

I have three bad window lift bars. I blasted them and they fell apart. I peeled the slotted part off by hand. This is no good as I can't find them.

I am attempting to make new ones out of 20GA stainless steel from an old BBQ door. I completed it but it is not good enough. I have it figured out and need a tool to get it done. I will glue on the slotted undamaged part with panel adhesive. Welds can break. Panel adhesive will never let go.

I have found a rubber seal part for the rear door in my shed O spares. I am trying to remove it. It is the bottom of the rear door stationary window gasket. I am having trouble getting the main window out without bending anything. I am practicing removal and replacement because I am about to load up 4 freshly painted doors. How in the heck did they load the windows in the doors at the factory? I guess I am going to find out. I have an idea to try tomorrow.
The radiator is painted and in. The e-brake cables are all cleaned, housings painted black ready to attach to the back wheels and front cable. The front cable is a crown unit. I am not sure it will work yet. The tailgate latches are all in and aligned.

I have a hundred dollar order placed at Team Grand Wagoneer. Wish me luck there......
Glad to see badberries finally get on here.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 AM
304 AMC

From badberry Bill. For 40K it sure has a dirty undone underside. Nice though.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-jeep-wagoneer/

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 PM
304 AMC

I know full well Team Grand Wagoneer can be a royal pain in the arse to deal with. In 2014 I made a very large order, got shipped half of it, then when asking where the rest of my missing order was I got accused of being dishonest and trying to get free stuff. Today I get a call from the post office 40 minutes away that I had a package waiting for me from TGW that had postage due. I checked my order and I was charged 20 bucks for a box the exact size of a glove box. I sent them a note on how they owe me 5 bucks and the light small box they sent did not cost 25 bucks to ship. They could be a great company. For years now they continue to fall way short. Look at the sticky's on this site.
I got my order. Everything was actually in it. But it could not be a normal order for nothing. They suck period. I feel a little better now.

So on the way out the door to pay my Team Grand Wagoneer ransom I got a call that the items I took in to Spokane for new chrome were done. Road trip. Off I went. I got everything back and it looks pretty good. I was hoping they would do a better job on the tailgate jeep key lock emblem and the four wheel drive emblem. They look really good but I have seen better chrome work. The improvement is super though. Especially the door handles.

Another view.

My dirty fingerprints all over it. I will get paint in maybe tomorrow.
I will make a new stainless smooth button head stud for this to swing away on.

Not to bad really... These look a million times better.

A door handle in place. They look great!

My TGW fun sitting here.

This is the SS window lifter channel I made. I need to improve on it some. And I will. It needs to be a little more narrow. This SS material offers way superior grip strength and better spring tension than the mild steel channels.
Plus no rust ever. The 1/32 setting tape showed up today. So I will dial these in and slip them on Sadies windows. I don't know why I get such a big kick out of making stuff from scratch. I appreciate a challenge.

I was invoiced for the better looking USA made tailgate ribbed panel material. So I should have a few sets done soon. I will get them out to the 5 members that have asked.
I am looking at a new used tool on Monday that should help me make better stuff. Hopefully that will pan out. Regardless, I can make nice pairs of them and should be able to knock them out when everything gets here.

The powder coating chop that is chroming the grills called again. The primer they baked on shows every little chip from 50 years of road use. Rather than pay 85 bucks an hour for them to sand them smooth, I am yet again driving there to pick them up and bring them back to the shop for another rework. I am grateful they called and filled me in. I know they will look really good after all the time on each one. No big deal. The drive is pleasant through the back country.
The bugs are biting and the deer are back. Summer is here.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 04-27-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 PM
304 AMC

I just got back from a week an hour north Seattle cleaning out my dads storage unit. Thank you Bill (owner of Sadie) for coming and helping Liz and I. Not only did he crawl under my dads home and crawl through Sea otter poop with me, and help me fix all the damage they did, he helped me get the storage unit sorted and closed out. Quite a friend there. I brought way to much stuff home again. I was also fortunate enough to find a German Pfaff 145 walking foot sewing machine over in the area a couple weeks prior. I have been looking for a very long time for this specific model and this one has very little use and was a incredible deal. It will sew through nearly a 1/2 of leather. I will now be able to get into upholstery work.
It was a fantastic find.
So I returned home and as soon as I found a spot for everything I brought home, I went after the shop. I am way behind it feels. I have been trying to make 3 stainless steel window channels for the lift mechanism. I had to toss the first one as it was not quite right. I had better results with each one I made. I carefully removed the slotted part to glue on to the new ss parts. I shot blasted everything with glass bead first. When the panel adhesive is dry I will coat the slotted part with slip plate like I did for the tailgate glass.

The new SS channel and putting on the slotted part with 3M panel adhesive.
It will never pull apart. The stuff is insanely strong.

Here is the 3 that I made and a factory one for the back door I found in the shed that I cleaned and painted with rust bullet. The 1/32 bedding tape is there on the roll. Just like original.

Here is the part number. They have slow set, fast set etc.

Blurry but you can see I tried to reproduce the same bends. The outer side wall has an angled bend in it.

Got some emblems done. The Four wheel drive emblem looks 100 times better with some paint in it. I sprayed the Wimbledon white after masking and used a syringe with a super small flat tip for the gold. This was tough. I still have a little bit of clean up to do. I use a Q-tip shank cut off with a box knife and a light soak with lacquer thinner. Man do you have to be careful.

The chrome shop did not fill up all the pits. I had some issues with paint filling them and interrupting the edges. It looks good though. I need to find a SS round top smooth screw to put the key cover back on. Should not be to big a deal.
I was not able to paint the gold on the word Jeep. It does not look good by hand. So Chrome letters it is. All of that round emblem was done with a syringe and limited coffee....

I am also really bummed to report the new ribbed aluminum panels from the USA are a sea of scratches. I opened it up today to see how it looked. I wanted to knock out the tailgate panels this next week for everybody that asked. I need to call the company tomorrow. I paid stupid money for this and I can't do much with this. This is only part of it. If I have to I will use the UK product. It looks fine and the finish is not much different than the USA stuff. Just a little duller. Maybe it will buff out. I hope I don't have to put hours into just buffing. Ugh...
All of you that are patiently waiting, Please bear with me while I sort this out.

And tomorrow I have to go back and pick up both grills from the powder coater. They said the primer really brought out the super small chips and dings. So I will sand them this week instead of paying 85 dollars an hour for them to do it. Another 3 hour trip.... and then 3 more hours to get them back there. I am guessing 15 hours travel time running them back and forth by the time they get coated. Wow...

More as soon as I can git er dun.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 05-06-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:38 AM
304 AMC

On the Tailgate panels. I have a replacement order coming. They roll it once a month. So I have to wait yet again. The salesman is going to hand select the material because it gets scratched before it gets rolled out by simple handling.
If this is an issue for anyone please PM me.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's