International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I wonder if it would be worth a road trip to go out and pick up this truck? You could flat bed it home, pull/use the pistons (maybe), and part out/sell the rest for a hefty profit...
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...27#post1721727

I appreciate the suggestion, but that link doesn't take me anywhere....

One issue that I've run into is that for whatever reason, the used pistons that I've found are pretty well toast. Which means that disassembling a used motor hoping to harvest/salvage the pistons out of it has a low probability of success.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:24 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
Yes, Egge Machine will make me a custom set of pistons, so will JE, and many other places. The going rate seems to be around $200 each, so $1200 a set! Good grief that's expensive! I'm not doing a concours restoration on this truck, I can't afford to put that much into this thing.

Here's the laundry list of who I've called:
Kanter,
Willys Works,
Border Parts/Spring Valley, CA,
stores.partsdude4x4.net
Rudy Phillips
Peter DeBella
Midwest Millitary
Surplus City, CA
Memphis Equip.
Vintage Power Wag
Walacks 4wd
Willys Jeep Parts.com
Vintage Jeep Parts.com
Midwest Jeep Willys.com
Omix Ada
Collins Bros

Egge Machine Custom made $12-1400
Willys America Yes One set, .030 over, $1200
Autoquest Jeeps - Haven't gotten a hold of anyone yet
Performance Now Direct - Website shows them, haven't been able to talk to anyone to confirm it.

Egge is showing a standard bore set on their website for $426, are you needing the overbore size?

https://egge.com/part/egg-1000-l2186-6/

Hope you're doing well, amigo!

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 09-17-2020, 08:09 AM
232 I6

It's a bit of a catch-22.

I haven't actually asked Egge about pricing or availability for standard bore pistons.
There's two reasons I would/could use standard bore pistons:
1 - If I do nothing to my worn block except hone it and put new rings in. This would be a cost and corner cutting measure, and I have enough standard bore used pistons to make this work. It would cost me the honing and new rings, so a few hundred bucks.
2 - If I can't find reasonably affordable oversized pistons and am set needing on a fresh bore, I'd have to have all six cylinders sleeved and bored back to standard size. I've heard it can be done cheaper, but the quotes I got locally for sleeving were between $7-900 for the whole block. Plus $426 pistons, and I'm back up over $1k. If those in fact are the only pistons available in the entire world, that's a solid option.

I've been getting enough traction and referrals on some of the Facebook groups that I may be able to come up with pistons another way. That's what I'm hoping for at this point. I've been broadening my search and joined a couple Willy's FB groups, and I've gotten more help there than any of the FSJ groups. They're all quick to tell me to put a Chevy in it, or swap it for an AMC motor without knowing that doesn't work. I have one offer of a set of .060 over pistons (YEAH MORE DISPLACEMENT!!!) for $350, which is the best deal I've got so far. Still working on the possibility of getting a set sent in from Argentina too.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:38 AM
327 Rambler

Ah! Understood.

You mentioned that you were talking to someone in Argentina, I actually talked to Jose (Tejeda) in the facebook group (I believe you commented on this actually, so I might not be telling you anything you don't know already) and he sold/shipped me all the pieces parts I was missing for my A/C setup.

Also, unfortunately, I'm hearing a noise in my engine that I can't quite identify, but I'm afraid might be rod knock or worn wrist pins. I'll be really sad if I have to take out the 230. I've thought about doing a junkyard 5.3 with a carbureted intake manifold to give me a *relatively* easy path to being able to drive the truck if the 230 comes out. I'd probably keep the 230 and completely overhaul it when budget allows, I just think the engine is that cool.

Really hope you start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on all this.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
Ah! Understood.

You mentioned that you were talking to someone in Argentina, I actually talked to Jose (Tejeda) in the facebook group (I believe you commented on this actually, so I might not be telling you anything you don't know already) and he sold/shipped me all the pieces parts I was missing for my A/C setup.

Also, unfortunately, I'm hearing a noise in my engine that I can't quite identify, but I'm afraid might be rod knock or worn wrist pins. I'll be really sad if I have to take out the 230. I've thought about doing a junkyard 5.3 with a carbureted intake manifold to give me a *relatively* easy path to being able to drive the truck if the 230 comes out. I'd probably keep the 230 and completely overhaul it when budget allows, I just think the engine is that cool.

Really hope you start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on all this.

I may look up Jose, I've been chatting with Marcelo Flinta.

I'm sure there's a good vintage engine mechanic that can put a real stethoscope on your motor and more accurately diagnose your noises. It'd probably be best to do that before you assume the worst.

The Novak Conversions website has TONS of really solid info on that SBC swap, including part numbers and the whole bit. You might need to browse around to find it all. You can order all the parts you need from them, but you could source most of them used too. They've got a lot of experience to draw from.

I'll get to the end of this tunnel some time....
And there will probably be another one right after it!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:56 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
I'll get to the end of this tunnel some time....
And there will probably be another one right after it!

I too am convinced that the end of this tunnel glimpses sunshine for the briefest of moments immediately before diving straight into another tunnel...

Old 03-15-2021, 12:59 PM
232 I6

March Update

There aren't too many of these early J-trucks on here, so I'm going to do my darndest to keep this thread updated and eventually complete for whomever is dumb enough to follow in my footsteps.

I have an engine build thread going over on the Old Willys Forum, primarily because there are more guys over there that are interested and knowledgeable about the old 230. There's some really good stuff.

Here's my thread: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum...montana.20279/
Another gem: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum...-thread.15575/
A tech sticky with all the 230 service bulletins: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum...962-1966.4167/
New forum for early J-trucks: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum...-wagoneers.49/

I finally gathered all of the engine parts needed for a rebuild, so they're all at the machine shop patiently awaiting their turn. I wound up with:
-.040" over low compression pistons from NOSJeep on ebay, cost me $300
-Full gasket set from Walcks 4WD, thes sell the Best Gasket brand kit, seems to be the best out there
-NOS rocker arms from Walcks
-Reground cam by Egge Machine
-NOS rod bearings from Kanter Auto
-NOS main bearings from eBay
-Polished crank from my machinist

Getting all that stuff to Wes at the machine shop got me antsy, along with the early spring weather we're having out here, so I rearanged my woodshop and pulled the ol truck in out of the weather.

That's where things got a little out of hand....

Looks like I'll be repaint this beast. Maybe against my better judgement.
Not looking for show quality, but the tan paint that's on it is all powdering off, and was a poorly done repaint. The original color is an avocado mist or something, the interior and firewall are all still original. I don't mind the patina, I'd leave it as patina if I could, but right now it just looks bad. And there's no better time to tackle this than when the engine is already out.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:25 AM
230 Tornado

Very very cool truck. I have an M715 which is based on your truck. IF you are in need of any parts hit up all the guys on www.M715zone.com. They know where everything is. If a part is out there they will know it. Especially engine parts, etc.