International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-15-2005, 01:21 PM

I've got a battery that is at least 4 years old on a GW that I use very sparingly...........over the past year it has been drained done completely 4 times... (Lights had been left on) and each time I've been able to jump start it with my S10. Every time I had to allow the S10 to run a few minutes with the jumper cables connected to generate enough power to turn the GW over but had always had success..Left the lights on again this past week and jumped it without incident, allowed it to run and recharge. Tonight I tried to start it but it was completely dead again.(NO I did'nt leave the lights on again) So I hooked up the Jumper cables and allowed the S10 to run awhile, I was able to get dome lights and a Ticking from the starter after about 2 minutes, but it did'nt have enough power to turn over so I allowed it to run a while longer...tried it again but there was nothing, no ticking, totally dead, not even the dome light would light up. Allowed to run a while longer. But while it was hooked up and the S10 running I noticed that the cables started smoking. They became quite hot,and the insulation started melting, so I shut her down. tore off the cables (got a nice burnt hand in the proccess) and got on the computer and here I am...... So what did I do? Whats broke?, or is just that the battery has just finally TOTALLY bit the dust?..... any and all help is greatly appreciated

[ September 16, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: schnerdad ]
Old 09-15-2005, 01:23 PM
FSJ Maniac

The battery is completely dead. Your alternator may have fried trying to charge up the battery, too.
"Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:26 PM
304 AMC

Pop the two caps and check the water level. There probably low. Fill with disstilled water and put a battery tester on it. You might also try a slow charge and see if it brings it back to life. Id suggest buying a trickle charger for the battery new or your old one if it comes back. Keep it on the battery since you dont use the jeep much. Batteries will stay good for years on a tricle charger. What you did to the batt is the main thing that kills them.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I would suggest if you dont use it that much spend the money on a "deep cycle" battery, deep cycle are made to drain all the way down and be recharged quickly(i.e. trolling) i use them in all my vehicles that sit for more than a couple months at a time or only get driven once a month, after all a car battery at 12.7volts is something like 40% charged.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:13 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

if you leave the lights on get "priority start" on ebay for $40 or so.
the device connects between the battery + and the solenoid +, if the voltage drops below a set value of 12.X, it act as a switch..... isolating the battery.

press the brake pedal.... or try to use some current... the switch is activated, and you saved yourself some time.... I put one on the daughter's YJ, 2 years ago after she had left the lights on... or someone had turn them on ... and it has not failed yet.

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Grease Monkey

Wow! Merci Michel, Didn't even know that kind of thing existed.

http://www.prioritystart.com/specs.html says:
PriorityStart! Pro SP is specially designed for Fleet, Law Enforcement, Utility, Emergency, and Security vehicles. It monitors battery voltage when key is off, detects and automatically disconnects any drain on battery while maintaining starting power and protecting the battery and alternator from damage. Automatically reconnects by simply operating the headlight switch or stepping on the brake pedal. By installing PriorityStart! Pro SP many departments are realizing, as much as 75% savings in the reduction of lost man-hours and down time because battery related problems.

As electronics take over more and more of automotive vehicle operations, voltage spikes are an increasing problem. Transient voltage “spikes” can cause damage to computers, 2-way radios, MDT equipment, cameras, and other electrical equipment. PriorityStart! Pro SP now has voltage “spike” protection.

Available configurations to fit any 12 or 24-volt application. No hard wiring or bolting. No buttons or switches to push. Transferable. Totally automatic!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:33 AM

Yup the battery was Completely dead... I mean she was reading Zero amps when they checked her out..... so bought a new battery, took it home, installed and she started right up.... took the Rig back down to the store so they could check out the alternator and it was fine... so I guess I dodged one there. So in the future is it a bad idea to leave the donor vehicle running while the jumpers are hooked up.... that's what I'm taking from what Spectre wrote... that it could have possibly fried the alternator.....Well she's up and running for now and holding a charge...... so all in all not so bad!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:43 AM
FSJ Maniac

Two words; Battery Tender.

And the frying alternator doesn't come from leaving the two connected if you have a good battery that's just low. It comes from having an alternator try to charge a battery with a short or that can't accept a charge - the alternator goes to max output and they can't do that for a long period of time.

That's why alternator failures often come shortly after battery failures. It's also why a lot of cars now have a "critical voltage" below which they simply won't start.

[ September 16, 2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Spectre ]
"Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:09 AM

Thanks Spectre, for the info!!! Greatly appreciated.......
Old 09-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally posted by malodin:
..., after all a car battery at 12.7volts is something like 40% charged.
12.45V is considered 75% charged

1979 golden eagle buggy...living on through donations across the country
Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

You really dodged a bullet.

First of all the alternators are NOT designed to fully charge a battery. They are designed to MAINTAIN a fully charged battery...there is a difference.

Secondly, when you charge an essentially shorted out battery (the current draw that you attempted from a totally shot battery shorted out the battery plates and might very well have caused a fire.

Or, the hydrogen outgassing of the shot battery might have blown up in your face...don't laugh, it has happened to lots of unfortunate folks.

We take this stuff for granted, but a face full of outgassing hydrogen gas is not fun!

The charging vehicles alternator has been overworked due to being hooked up to an essentially shorted battery, thus the smoking hot cables (indicating an internal short inside the dead battery). This could have easily blown the rectifier or regulator circuit in a less robust alternator on the charging vehicle.

I could go on for several other scenarios, but just go ahead and spend the $40 dollars for a new battery when the old one goes south. 4-years is a lot of time for a battery that has not been maintained properly.
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper