International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 PM

Welded front

I just finished lifting my 84 grand wagoneer not to long ago and am wheeling it a lot more. The ground clearance really helps.

I'm going to weld the rear diff and I'm thinking of welding the front as well.

Normally I wouldn't consider welding the front but my 84 has the Vacuum disconnect front axle so I will be able to lock or unlock the front end from the Cab correct? So that way the welded diff won't affect my normal drive ability and it will give me a locked up front end when I go wheeling. I have power steering so turning it shouldn't be to hard I would guess and rocks where I go are a minimum. Mostly loose dirt and mud.

I'm Saving up for lockers and 4.56 gears. Still running the stock 3.31s for now. But i think the welded diffs will last me a while so I can save up.

Any flaws in my thoughts?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 AM
327 Rambler

Unless you install lock out hubs you'll still have half of your drive train turning,If you don't drive on the street much it won't be too bad but,I wouldn't do it on a DD with out lockouts.I do have welded front on my offroad comanche it works good,no problem turning&I like it!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Member (huhuhuh...member)

On a baby jeep it would be ok but FSJs dont turn great to start with. Plus,the extra weight wont help matters. I rode in a buddys 79 cher. with a welded diff on its first trip wheelin and he put it on the trailer and we wheeled mine. I would get a spare carrier and pick up an Aussie locker and never look back. You will be much happier in the end.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM

Also, unless you modify the vacuum system, inorder to disconnect the front axle, you have to take it out of Low the out of 4WD.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

I dont like welded fronts personally. If you were just mudding I would say go for it but you really loose your steering offroad.
"We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"
Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
I dont like welded fronts personally. If you were just mudding I would say go for it but you really loose your steering offroad.

x2. I noticed a huge difference in turning effort after I installed an Aussie locker in the front of my truck. I wouldn't want a welded front diff unless it was for playing in mud either.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM

I think I'm still gonna weld it and put manual locking hubs on it and see how it works out. If getting an aussie were an option I'd have done it already. I'm looking for an inexpensive fix until I can get some cash saved up to put lockers at both ends and new gears. I'm thinking 4.56's.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muni

Normally I wouldn't consider welding the front but my 84 has the Vacuum disconnect front axle so I will be able to lock or unlock the front end from the Cab correct?
Any flaws in my thoughts?

The vacuum disconnect only disconnects one shaft. The other will still be tied to your driveshaft, unless you have locking hubs.

All things considered, you can probably get away with it, but I wouldn't count on it living very long, if you have to disconnect the front axle every time you get bound up and need to turn.

If you can't afford an Aussie right now, you can't afford to be replacing any broken parts either. Best to enjoy it as it is, till you can afford what you want.
Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20

Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Member (huhuhuh...member)

Not to sound negative but getting a 250 dollar aussie will make you feel like you have 5.38 gears off road. Spend the money on the boxlocker first then think about gears after you wheel it. Especially if you want to drive it on the street too. I was gonna put 5.13 in mine to replace the 4.10 till I decided to put in a locker in the front 44. I found out the skinny pedal actually made a difference! The same trail I had to slide down backwards a month before.....I got to see the top of. If you do weld it,be sure not to get slag on the axle shaft or that will be another expense. Again do what you can afford but...... (IMHO)a cheap locker is gonna do you better than a low geared rig you cant steer offroad or drive onroad.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 PM

I guess I may wait on the front axle then. Dunno now.

And I have 3.31 gears in my rig now and this is gonna see minimal street use. Not building a big scary trailered rig but something very capable off road which i can drive to the trails. The trails are 20 miles away.