International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:08 PM
232 I6

New to the forum, and to Jeeps

Hi all, introducing myself and my latest project, my 1987 Jeep J10 Pioneer AMC 360 / TF 747/ manual Hi/Lo range / D44 front and rear. Mostly original and barely ran when I pulled it out of the weeds and drove it home 3 months ago.

I'm new to solid axle 4wd vehicles and it's been a while since I worked on a carbureted vehicle, but so far so good!

After fixing many, many leaks, getting a new exhaust, and lots of scrubbing and tweaking, it now runs and drives like a top. Except for the exhaust I did all the work myself, including some minor rust repair. About 145k miles.

Jeep made only 1350 J trucks for the USA market in 1987? That's an really low production number. I believe mine was built in September 87 which if true would make it one of the last FSJ pickups ever made, from what I can tell.

Shout out to Dr Bob for helping me through a vexing vacuum problem.

I've had lots of questions but only today got access to post to this forum. So I'm looking forward to some input.

Will post photos when I figure out how to do that.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:40 PM
350 Buick

Welcome! Look foward to seeing those pics. That'd be a pretty neat deal if you had one of the last J trucks!
The forum isn't as busy as it once was, so sometimes a question can take a few days to get a reply, but there's definetely still alot of knowledgeable folks still around. Sounds like you're well on your way with that truck - careful tho.... oftentimes this leads to more rigs!!

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:31 PM
232 I6

Wow I think I finally figured it out.

Here are a few photos of my new project, hosted by imgur:

Old 11-27-2021, 04:57 PM
232 I6

I'm still hanging parts on it. It's nearly complete but a few things are still missing or broken.

Does anyone know whether the dome light lens is the same as the lens in the CJ7 model, similar years?

I intended to keep the original smog equipment but discovered one side had already been pinched off. So I pinched off the other side, deleted the remaining smog pump and AIR equipment, installed new EGR valve, PCV valve and all new vac hoses, rerouted the vacuum, ran some B12 thru the carb, and tuned accordingly. It was probably 30 degrees out of time.

Runs like a top now, but I do have a slight fuel starvation issue at cold startup. I replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm but I think I need to replace the whole pump assembly.

I fashioned a cold air intake duct by splicing together two gutter spout extensions from the HD roofing department. The small end of the molded plastic tube is a perfect fit on both the carb snout side and on the radiator grill side. Cut to fit, snap the two small ends together as one tube, then rotate one end 90 degrees. Fits like a glove.

New 2.5" Flowmaster. I resealed some leaks, replaced a bunch of corroded connectors, and rebuilt a few switches, and now all lights are working.

Rebuilt the driver door manual window regulator which was rusted shut. It now rolls up and down like butter. Likewise, the manual door locks.

Two oil changes so far, and a chassis lube. Lots of seafoam.

Aside from some rattle can paint and minor body work, I'm at a good point to sit back and decide what I want to do with it. I haven't even touched the hi/lol or 4wd yet!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:22 PM
350 Buick

Wow, that thing looks to be in really nice shape. Over here in the salt belt, that'd be concourse-ready! Nice find!

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Holy jealousness that thing is AWESOME!!! GREAT FIND!!! Great plan and execution!

Post a picture of your lens. The rear lens on the 2 door Cherks is from mid-70's GM cars and the front one is from late 70's GM cars.

Did you put that carpet in? it looks brand new! What an amazing find! Super glad you rescued it and posted pictures here! Kudos to you!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-06-2021, 04:22 PM
232 I6

Ok here's what's left of the factory dome light on my J10. I read somewhere that this same lamp and lens were used on the CJ7. Probably GM, too.

I'd really like to find the correct lens for this lamp rather than buy a new lamp. Any help appreciated.

(I'm experimenting with different photo sizes, please bear with me.)
Old 12-06-2021, 04:58 PM
232 I6

A little backstory on this Jeep.

My son found it on CL on the Olympic Peninsula here in WA state, and sent me the link. My immediate response: "That's a nice truck".

I couldn't get it out of my head so a couple weeks later I learned the truck had not yet sold. So I drove 30 miles to go see it. We reached a deal later on the phone, and one or two days later I drove it home.

No mirrors, no window movement, no locks, one door latch, no lights including brake lights, missing one of two mufflers, bad exhaust manifold leak, a hanging tailpipe, running on probably 7 cylinders, and one stop to add 1 quart each of engine oil and trans fluid. My wife was following and got oil on her windshield.

Over about 3 months I spent nearly every day just scrubbing, sanding, and tuning up this truck. Mice, grass, trees, moss were all active, and even tho it was nearly complete and generally rust free, it had been badly neglected.

Interesting rust pattern I haven't yet seen on any other J truck. The rear window had significant rust, primarily from the unfortunate silicone bead around it, but also both pillars on either side had completely rusted through. I can only attribute this to the leaves and other debris that had built up between the cab and the canopy, which led to rust and eventually holes over the many years it sat in the rain.

That was one of the first repairs I did on this truck. To keep out the rain.

Also below are some photos of the rear. It has a little wrinkle where the bed meets the cab on the passenger side. I'll pull that out one of these days.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:19 PM
232 I6

By the way, Krylon Dark Grey Metallic from WM is almost a perfect match for the faded factory color.

The carpet is original as far as I know. I sanded off some surface rust under the sill plates and hit it with acid primer and paint. You can't tell it from the factory paint. It probably makes the carpet look better than it really does.

Same with the corners inside the bed, and the outside fender corners. I just sanded off the surface rust and repainted. I'm working my way around and under the truck and so far, except around the rear window, there's no rust through and everything is very solid.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:02 PM
304 AMC

Great story! A little work on the truck has really paid off for you. The later model J trucks are my favorite, and yours look really nice.
'79 CJ5(in pieces)
'86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
Correction- it just needed a water pump!
Old 12-09-2021, 03:21 PM
232 I6

Thanks guys for your kind responses. Yes it is a beauty. I'm new to Jeeps but this thing was so cool looking I couldn't pass up the challenge.

Looking forward to participating in the forum.

I didn't get a chance to take a photo of the original tooled vinyl bench seat. It has some rips but its mostly complete and otherwise very nice. It was a little weak and missing some foam on the driver outside bolster, so I laid in some rags for support, used gorilla tape on the holes, and put a cowboy cover on it. (Those universal bench seat covers are sloppy so I tightened it up with some hog rings I had on hand.)

Not the most comfortable driver's seat I've ever sat in, that's for sure. But it sure looks good!!!

So --- does anybody know which dome light lens this is?? It's driving me nuts.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:03 PM
350 Buick

That looks like the same dome light setup on my 73, but mine is missing the lens too. On a whim, I web searched jeep dome light lens and there were lots of pics of very similar looking dome light bases listed for cj/yj hardtop, and a few that also listed j10 and scout hard top as well that had the same base. The lenses were funky looking, maybe a two piece - showing a rippled white cover and also a clear cover. Don't know. But it did look promising that the lenses interchange.... and jeep being jeep, seems likely they'd use one part for multiple models. If you could find a parts manual for an fsj or even a cj from the 70's or 80's, it'll probably have that same dome light in it with a part number you could search up or cross reference on the net.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:37 AM
232 I6

Backroadin', I did the same search and saw the same lenses. It's confusing.

This appears to be the complete assembly:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVD6RKB...ing=UTF8&psc=1

And the Amazon ad says the assembly is correct for "Jeep Wrangler TJ, YJ, CJ7".

However -- all I needed was the lens.

So I just bought these on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...-127632-2357-0

Does that look correct to you? I hope?

Other vehicles
Handful of Chevy Trackers and Suzuki GVs
92 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
72 Chevy El Camino
89 Chevy G20 conversation van
Handful of 60s Honda bikes and scooters
And my retired 1 owner 79 Honda Prelude
Old 12-11-2021, 10:53 AM
350 Buick

Yup, those were the same ones.
I copied this image from an ended listing - it was listed as a used stock light for a 78 j10/j20, so, it's looking hopeful!
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ejUAA...Rjk/s-l300.jpg

Old 12-12-2021, 03:42 PM
350 Buick

Have to agree with everyone else: NICE find! And great job cleaning it up and tending to all the obvious gremlins. Keep up the good work!

The topper looks like a non-Jeep model. The longbed Dakotas (first gen) were a similar bed rail size, so could have been one made for another truck that just happens to *fit*. Proper Jeep caps fit the body lines more truly. But color work well as it is!

If I were ever going through FSJ withdrawal, pics like yours would be a perfect fix!
Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...
Old 12-13-2021, 06:44 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnkleMunky
The topper looks like a non-Jeep model. The longbed Dakotas (first gen) were a similar bed rail size, so could have been one made for another truck that just happens to *fit*.

Yes the canopy was made in the Seattle area. It looks ok and keeps out the weather so it's good for now.

I'd sure like to see one of those factory toppers. I imagine they're pretty tough to find.

I try to buy factory parts where I can, especially NOS accessories. I took a chance recently on some OEM NOS AMC Jeep Renault polished stainless door glass Ventshades, but unfortunately they don't fit!!

Other vehicles
92 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
72 Chevy El Camino
Old 12-14-2021, 06:31 PM
232 I6

Well my lens arrived and it fits and looks great.

For the record, I'm confirming that the "Jeep Wrangler YJ / TJ / CJ7 Hard Top" lens will fit the original dome lamp base in a 1987 and probably other years Jeep J10 truck.

Having settled that, thank you all for your input and I look forward to getting some other mysteries solved on this site.

Other vehicles
92 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
72 Chevy El Camino
Old 12-15-2021, 06:43 PM
350 Buick

Good to hear it all worked out. Look forward to more pics on the project!