International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Classifieds > "Look Here" for Parts, Vehicles and Vendors > Homegrown Vendors: (Members who produce FSJ related items)

Old 01-01-2022, 11:11 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
You guys might want to look into this company. I haven't used their stuff but I've heard good things about them. Maybe the XJ kit will work.....

https://jeepcables.com/daylight-headlight-harness/

A problem with an XJ harness will be the cable lengths will probably be too short. I wouldn't buy the cable off the menu. Like I mentioned above when buying from Rob Yule (crackedback), tell them what you are doing and see if they will work with you to make the lengths and conections needed.

It's important that the wires are not strained and have good support.
Also, as I've mentioned before, the different years of SJs have different wiring strategies. 1986 and up the main power distribution is hanging off the soldenoid connection. However this gets changed again a little around '90 so look at where it makes sense to tie in.
For the earlier vehicles, connect power feed for the headlights into the alternator output.
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish

Last edited by nograin : 01-01-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:29 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblingv8
Are you still making these kits? If so, could I see some pictures of it? The links you used aren't showing anymore. Pretty sure I melted a headlight switch so I am looking at relay kits.
Thanks.

It seems he's disappeared.
Some options above. Thise XJ guys or Rob Yule should be able to make something for you.

If you want a true kit, which you then wire yourself, contact Daniel Stern.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
Relay kits are about halfway down the page.
I know, there' no pictures of the kits.
But I've seen the kit after construction and installation on a '75 Duster and its all high quality parts.

Dan is very knowledgable. But sometimes he doesn't know what he doesn't know. He doesn't know SJ wiring, and certainly not all years. Key things to let him know are what I mentioned above. Up through '85 the power is distributed from big splice under the dash. The headlights should get powered from the alternator output, not the battery feed. Details will vary over the years up to '85 but that's the gist of it.
After '85 is different. On these the important thing is again to connect near the alternator but you can, at least on some years, use the junction at the solenoid.
You can refer him to the diagrams on my website (and posted here in various threads).

The other thing he may ask about is flashing sidemarkers. At least in '85, the front sidemarkers already blink with the turn signals standard from the factory. Also the turn signal wiring can be nightmare of its own I wouldn't touch it if not needed. That's just my opinion though.
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish

Last edited by nograin : 01-01-2022 at 11:34 AM.