International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-10-2001, 04:30 AM

Unhappy

Ok, here's another one.

I installed a Rough Country lift kit on my 88 GW in November. The tech support staff at rough countrysaid that I would not need anything other than what was supplied with the kit (ie no drop pitman arms, extended drive shafts, longer brake hoses, etc.....).

Well, after installing the kit I noticed that the drive shaft was over extended. The blue piece at the end of my front drive shaft was exposed past the drive shaft grease seal.

I posted this find on this site. A few people replied, and told me that they had the same issue with no major problems.

I did drive the GW with out a problem. However, having looked at the drive shaft the other day, I realized that the exposed blue piece on the drive shaft had ripped out the drive shaft's grease seal.

I would rather not pay to have the drive shaft lengthened. Since I have driven the vehicle for about 9 months with out a problem, I'd rather just replace the seal (once a year if needed). Can this seal be purchased? If so then where?

Thanks alot
Old 09-10-2001, 05:11 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Not sure where to get a seal or how much one would cost, but you could probably just pick one up at any good auto parts store. I prefer Advance Auto. Napa is usually good, but I don't like the particular one in my town.

The local shop here lengthens rear driveshafts for $50, so a front really wouldn't be that big of a deal if you wanted to look into that. Winter is coming, and I would rather be safe than sorry.
'99 & '00 XJ parts Jeeps
Old 09-10-2001, 03:29 PM
Grease Monkey

I know this dosent help your current delima but just my .02 .. I too have the 3 inch rough county lift and I can see about 1/2 inch of the blue splines sticking out of the drive shaft.. never had a problem and I have been putting this 81 wagon to the test for about a year now.. Im with Hump , being that it is so easy to remove and reasonably priced I would not hesitate to go with the longer shaft.. much better safe than sorry.. You might want to contact Bob Barry on this form he might be able to "shed" a little more light on the techinal solution to this problem.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: JB ]
81 Wagon 360 cubic inch , 3 inch rough country lift , 35\'s More pics <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/beakeru2\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/beakeru2</a><br />http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/MVC-002F.jpg
Old 09-10-2001, 05:55 PM
Jeep Doctor

If you're going to be flexing your truck out, then definitely go with a longer driveshaft. First see if a 6-cyl shaft would cover the range you need (the TC sat further back with that setup, I believe, requiring a longer shaft. Even if it's too long, it's often cheaper to shorten rather than lengthen a driveshaft.

Before you do that, though, are the springs in the right way? RC springs are notorious for being prone to incorrect installation, as the spring-eye sizes on the front springs are reversed from the factory spring-ends. This shifts the front axle forward a couple inches, causing slight steering and driveshaft problems.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:23 AM
Grease Monkey

Good grief, Bob---we should have pow-wow'ed with you before starting our install! So help us set it straight--on the front, do the large spring eyes go forward or back??? Thanks for your experience!! CR & BlakeAtlanta
BLAKE RUSSELL<br />1985 Grand Wagoneer<br />Rebuilt 360<br />rebuilt 727<br />Rebuilt motorcraft 2150 <br />Killer 32 Front Bumper(for sale make me an offer by PMing me)<br />Killer 32 Nerf Bars <br />3\" Rough Country Lift<br />33 x 12.50 BFG mud tires<br />American Racing 767 rims(15x8)<br />superwinch X9 9k lb winch<br />cut fenders<br />soon to be sprung over with welded 2.5 ton military axles(yeah in my dreams) <br />Edelbrock tes 6881 headers<br />FLOWMASTER 50 series SUV perf exhaust<br />custom mixed dodge viper red paint
Old 09-12-2001, 04:32 AM

I am beginning to HATE Rough Country. I realize that the springs were quite a bit cheaper than the Super Lift kit. However, the additional time I spent flipping the backards shim around on the rear springs and the time that I will need to spend flipping the front springs around could have been spent working over time at work. Then I would not only have been able to afford the Super Lift kit, but I would probably have money to burn.

So, as BlakeAtlanta asked, do the large spring eyes go in the front or the back?

Thanks much,
IGD
Old 09-12-2001, 06:05 AM
Jeep Doctor

I've never done this swap, but the following post:
http://www.ifsja.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/...c&f=2&t=001317

mentions that "one thing I noticed thatthe instructions didn't mention was that the front springs need to have the large bushing eye in front", which seems to be the reverse of the factory-installed springs.

Which way did you install them?
Old 09-12-2001, 08:45 AM

Bob,

I don't remember which way I installed them, I'll have to look. I most likley put them in backwards because I remember looking at the new springs and very carfully comparing them to the old springs SO THAT I COULD INSURE THAT THEY WERE INSTALLED CORRECTLY!

How ironic!

Thanks alot for the info Bob. I anticipate a busy weekend.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:13 AM

I just put these springs on my j10 and the large eyes go to the front. I also noticed where it has FRONT printed on the springs goes to the front. I didn't change anything but the springs and shocks and it drives great. I should have dont it ten years ago. I hope this helps.
Scott
Old 09-12-2001, 09:14 AM

I just put these springs on my j10 and the large eyes go to the front. I also noticed where it has FRONT printed on the springs goes to the front. I didn't change anything but the springs and shocks and it drives great. I should have done it ten years ago. I hope this helps.
Scott
Old 09-12-2001, 09:18 AM

I was told that you should add a 2.5 deg shim to the front springs to help with the angle... The kit doesn't come wiht them... a very good friend who is a installer for Off Road Warehouse swears by the RC kits... I'm planning on installing one on my '78 this fall.
Old 09-13-2001, 12:41 PM
Grease Monkey

Hey, Guys:

I checked tonight, and sure enough, I did the same thing as IGD, and instralled the front springs with the large eyes in rear, just like factory ones. My front drive shaft spline is extended about 3-1/2" out of the yoke, too. So I guess this weekend we'll be reversing the front springs, and reversing the rear shims. I may as well improve the angle between front diff and drive shaft while I'm at it!!.. Anyone know where to get angled shims for the front?
Thanks for info; and THANKS ALSO TO KIMBROUGH FOR HELPING PUT THOSE DARN THINGS IN LAST WEEKEND!!! TOUGH JOB ALONE!!CR
BLAKE RUSSELL<br />1985 Grand Wagoneer<br />Rebuilt 360<br />rebuilt 727<br />Rebuilt motorcraft 2150 <br />Killer 32 Front Bumper(for sale make me an offer by PMing me)<br />Killer 32 Nerf Bars <br />3\" Rough Country Lift<br />33 x 12.50 BFG mud tires<br />American Racing 767 rims(15x8)<br />superwinch X9 9k lb winch<br />cut fenders<br />soon to be sprung over with welded 2.5 ton military axles(yeah in my dreams) <br />Edelbrock tes 6881 headers<br />FLOWMASTER 50 series SUV perf exhaust<br />custom mixed dodge viper red paint
Old 09-15-2001, 02:23 PM
Grease Monkey

Well guys, ole BlakeAtlanta worked his butt off today, and got his Rough Country lift all straightened out. Everything installed like Bob said, all vibrations are gone, and the drive shafts are properly lined up. Drives great! Thanks again for your help. CR and Blake
Old 10-15-2001, 06:41 AM

What did you do to correct the problem?
Old 10-15-2001, 08:55 AM
FSJ Maniac

Y'all got me lookin, and the shim on the rear springs on mine is backwards as well. I didn't notice the difference because the 2" block we're angled correctly, making everything line up straight, not angled at all. Do you have to take the spring pin out to reverse the camber piece, or just whack it with a hammer? I'm glad I got the superlift front springs or I'd be really ticked! Oh goody, I get to take off the u-bolts again, I can't wait!
Old 10-15-2001, 08:56 AM
FSJ Maniac

Hey Blake,

Can you do a write-up on the Rough Country "gotcha's" and stick'em in the topic of the month section?
Old 10-15-2001, 11:38 AM
Administrator

You probably installed the fornt springs backwards. I did this the first time I installed the RC lift I used to have. One the OEM springs, the big eye was in the back and the smaller in the front... it is the other way around on the RC springs. What happend is you moved your front axle forward, if you flip the front springs around, then you will have no driveshaft problems. When i did this I went out and lengthend my driveshaft before I figured it out... and the RC people were no help at all in figuring it out.