International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:01 AM
230 Tornado

Which is better?

Hi everybody. So i started with a 79 cherokee chief. It turned into Swiss cheese on me but as I started to remove things I wanted to use on my more recent 78 chief purchase, I found that the 79 appears to be a Levi's edition with the baby blue color scheme. The denim is long gone but im curious if anyone thinks one is better than the other for resto. The frame and title are good but the body is literally swiss
Old 02-22-2022, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Looks like you got bit by out stupid apostrophe bug. sometimes when posting it gets cut off after the first apostrophe. It will drive you it is especially bad when posting from a phone or apple product.

This is hard to answer. i think it depends on what you want to do with it. Trail rig? the more solid one. Resto? Whichever one you like better. Some where in the middle? the one that is most complete. value? it's pretty much awash.

You are going to get answers all over the board here but this is my thought:

These rigs are so hodge podge, it's not like other vehicles where "numbers matching" or rare colors/options make much of a difference. Big value drivers are engines (401 or modern drivetrains like LS/LT or Hemi are good), originality (tons of lift, multiple paint jobs, aftermarket wiring, etc. usually drops value), and reliability (if it runs/drives/everything works/nothing leaks/pass smog or inspections drive value up). If you have a 78 that was a stripped 6cyl and you put in a nice LS it will be worth A LOT more. If it was a Levis and you put in a some super nice/comfy/not gawdy seats, it will be worth more (and more fun to drive).
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
00 Baby Cherokee

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 02-24-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:54 PM
232 I6

Wink

I have GW's 2 & have always been grateful for solid frames& less rust on the bodies. It's like trying to turn S into Shinola Nothing worse than wondering what's falling off next w any Jeep ,but a rusty one is scarier still! IMHO
A Levi interior in a solid '78 sounds fantastic even if not original. We promise not to tell. LOL
Old 02-24-2022, 12:08 PM
out of order

Rust is a project killer...many folks unwisely throw thousands @ a rust bucket, only to be defeated later on by lack of funds or motivation to continue the project.

It's really a no brainer to start with the best foundation you have.

These aren't well documented vehicles, meaning nobody would ever know.
Swapping interiors isn't going to change value significantly, unless it's brand new/redone properly. Even then it won't add much overall to the value.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:59 PM
232 I6

Go with the less rusty one; you'll be way happier. The '88 was pretty bad as far as rust went on the body (the only good floor was the cargo area and the trans tunnel, plus no rockers, lower quarters, or front fenders), and I was going to fix it, then we found rust on the frame. We could've gone through and fixed it, but especially around here it wasn't going to be worth it. If I'd had a good shell I absolutely would've swapped everything over.

As far as worrying about originality I get worried about this too; the reality is that it's not a high-option Mustang or Camaro or anything, and it sounds like you've hit a point where neither is going to be a super original rig. And you're actually probably happier this way because you won't feel like you can't buy an upgrade because it's not original. As the others have said, these Jeeps (actually Jeeps in general) are kind of oddballs because they don't lose value when you modify them.

Just my $.02 though.
open knuckle D44 front (disc brakes)
6-lug conversion rear
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Previous Rig:
Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
.030 over 401, TBI, headers
3" exhaust
31x10.5s
2" rear lift blocks
custom headliner
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know
Old 03-01-2022, 09:28 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks for the opinions. At this point the 79 Levi's edition with not 1 stitch of denim left will be headed to junkyard so if anyone would like a good title and frame I'd let it go for cheap. I'm in the center of the country