• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

When is a rig "Built" not "Bought"

So I was cruising around SoCal yesterday and saw the stereotypical college girl Jeep (that's what my son calls this style; we've all seen it):
    LEDS EVERYWHERE
    polished aluminum 20" rims
    scowling grill
    A bright red high lift jack mounted in the most conspicuous place possible
    Bright red D-rings on the front and back, clanging away as they drive
    etc. etc. etc.
    I think we all get license to do what we want with our rigs. College girl style is not my style but my style also isn't most other peoples style so set that aside, just setting the scene, I guess.

What made the one I was looking at pique my interest was on the back window it had a "Built not bought" sticker. So I started looking a little closer thinking maybe this one was a little different. I started looking at the undercarriage to see if there was any fabrication; None that I could see. Maybe gears and a locker were installed; rear diff cover looked like it had never been removed. I even saw what looked like stock JK Exhaust.

I started thinking "PSHHHH! Built??! What's 'built' on that?!" But the other side of me said "What's built about your turd? You just fix things that break. how is that anymore built than that JK?"

Hm... When I think "Built not Bought" my head goes 3 ways:
    a) a ground up resto where everything came apart and went back together. Upgrades are irrelevant here. They got a starter vehicle and completely went through it.
    b) A vehicle that was modified to do something that it was never really meant to do. So a Honda Civic that runs 10's in the quartermile. A rock crawling Wagoneer. A Baja bug. A Narrow Track Cherokee with a Hemi swap.
    c) A car assembled from pretty much all new parts. So a Factory 5 Cobra Replica, Meyers Manx, a T-Bucket, a chopper.

But then again, maybe a vehicle that is generally modified by the owner should fit in here somewhere? At what point is it "built"?
    What if the owner never really "built" it at all but bought a ton of expensive parts and paid a shop to install them? It was "built" by the shop, right? But then does that make hand assembled cars like exotic Italians "built not bought"?
    Is it the changes to the car that make it "built"? If so, then a factory restoration was not "built".

Useless banter but fun to think about.... Thoughts?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • oregonphil
    232 I6
    • Oct 17, 2020

POW. That just made my head explode.

I think your conclusion is correct:
    "But then again, maybe a vehicle that is generally modified by the owner (or their shop) should fit in here somewhere?"
    Thou I would never put that sticker on my car just because it did not come from the factory that way. At least it did not say "hand built not bought".
    OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
    72 Commando 304
    07 Toyota Sienna
    76 HD FLH

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
      304 AMC
      • May 01, 2004

I don't think there is a line that has to be crossed, but to my eye, Built would be significant modification done mostly by the owner.

Example: My YJ mutt is built. The only things still original to it are the frame (straightened twice), most of the body, and the bottom end of the engine. I put in wagoneer D44's w/ CrMo shafts and ARB lockers, spring-over suspension on 2.5" OME springs, Bilstein reservoir shocks. I built the transfer case from D300 parts, aftermarket parts, and a STaKs case. The transmission is built AX-15 (bought), we made the body armor and I put a CJ7 hood and grill on it by modifying the mounts, etc. The seats are PT Cruiser, the center console is an ammo can I cut and welded. I did buy the bumpers instead of making them. A buddy and I designed and welded up the rear axle truss and anti-wrap bar/mount. The rear shocks were inboarded at top to give more articulation. It has modified TJ larger exhaust and I rebuilt the top end with some minor head work that was within my skill level. It is bounced off rocks, trees, whatever. I break it and rebuild/improve what I break.

I consider my mutt to be built... but I wouldn't put that sticker on it. 8^)
      Last edited by JPSwapMohn; 08-23-2021, 07:33 PM.
      One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
      http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
      95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
      50 CJ3A
      77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• FleetFox
        258 I6
        • Apr 04, 2018

My honest opinion is if you put a sticker like that on it, you feel like you something to prove. Or you're a bottomless pit of need and want for attention. And there's just nothing anyone is going to say to you about your rig that's gonna fill that hole. I take my stuff to cruise ins only occasionally. I park it and walk around to see some of the really neat engineering and stuff other people have put into their projects. Just me.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• Brynjminjones
          258 I6
          • Jun 11, 2017

I've never liked the term "Built Not Bought", it always seems like gatekeeping to me and I've never understood why it matters.

Loads of people here in the UK have those stickers, yet have bought a brand new car and simply spent loads at the shop getting it modified.

My XJ on the other hand is completely stock, yet I've had it for the last 9 years and I guarantee I've put more work into it than lots of people with modded cars have!

I don't think there's really a way of defining how much work somebody has put into a car.
          Some people do it all themselves, others work hard to afford to pay a shop!
          I'm won't hold either against somebody!
          1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
          1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

Does it have to be running to be considered "built"?
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• backroadin'
              350 Buick
              • Aug 11, 2004

Originally posted by FleetFox
              I walk around to see some of the really neat engineering and stuff other people have put into their projects. Just me.
              Me too - this is what I think of when I hear that saying.
              We all got different levels of skill, time, and space to do stuff - and what we each consider "building our rig" isn't going to be the same as the next guy. But I do think you gotta do a good percentage of the work or installment yourself to be considered "built."
              BUT - if you put that sticker on your ride, you'd better have done more than just slap on LED's , stickers, and rims and tires for me to have respect for it! Like the old saying goes, "If it don't make ya dirty, it ain't yours."
              (Lease rigs need not apply....... )
              1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                304 AMC
                • May 01, 2004

If you haven't bleed on it, is it really yours?
                One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                50 CJ3A
                77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• johnsonic
                  258 I6
                  • Mar 12, 2015

We're in luck - looks like you can build a wagoneer at jeep.com.

1984 GW
                  Comp 260H
                  Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
                  Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
                  Performer Intake
                  Holley SA 670
                  MSD 8523
                  Dakota Digital custom cluster
                  Serehill headlamp harness
                  NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
                  ...but the parts live on

Comment

• Tripwire
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 30, 2000

When your rig ( especially baby jeeps ) looks like a rich kid got ahold of mommies credit card and a few aftermarket accessory magazines and looks ridiculous
                    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• MysticRob
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by johnsonic
                      We're in luck - looks like you can build a wagoneer at jeep.com.
                      LOL, that sure blurs the lines.
                      Thinking about it, my 88 must be both. Since I 'built' it myself I still 'bought' many of the parts with which to build it.
                      I suppose it's what the 'built not bought' wording implies.
                      Can I get rich off "Built in My Garage" decals?

Originally posted by SJTD
                      Does it have to be running to be considered "built"?
                      How about "Built-ish"?
                      Last edited by MysticRob; 08-27-2021, 06:51 AM.
                      --Rob--
                      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• oregonphil
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 17, 2020

How about "Built-ish"?

That I like, it would apply to 97% of our rigs.
                        OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
                        72 Commando 304
                        07 Toyota Sienna
                        76 HD FLH

Comment

• wagoneer84
                          230 Tornado
                          • Aug 16, 2014

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
                          I don't think there is a line that has to be crossed, but to my eye, Built would be significant modification done mostly by the owner.
                          Personally i would have to agree with this, I have had my wagoneer for 15 years and i am the only one who has worked on it. Including changing the gearing, installing lockers, to building my own cage and bumpers. We can't forget all the upgrades that are mentioned in these forums like the ammeter delete or adding relays for windows or lights to rewiring for a higher amp altinator.
                          84 wagoneer 360/727/np229
                          amc 20 rear detroit ez locker 4:56
                          dana 44 front aussie locker 4:56

Comment

Working...
                          X