• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Red20
    258 I6
    • Jun 19, 2010

What's Your Scariest FSJ Experience?

I'd love to hear some of your "good scare" stories as related to our FSJs. I'll open it up with mine.

About the time I got my J20 right about where I wanted it for mild trail riding and rock crawling, I discovered an issue that about ended my hobby. I had a nicely warmed over 360, fresh 4" lift, 33"s, and lockers front and rear and I was ready to take on any obstacle (within reason).

So, one day at Hollister Hills I was crawling through a pretty nice rock garden, taking my time and picking my line when I got hung up on an axle. So, I put it in reverse and tapped on the gas to climb back up onto the rocks I had just slid down off of into my predicament. When I did that, the throttle stuck and I immediately tapped it again to "unstick" it. That just made it stick at an even higher RPM. My worn out brakes didn't help me any as the truck took a beeline in reverse bouncing back out of the rocks I had just so skillfully crawled over. I undid 5 good minutes of crawling in about 10 seconds with me standing on the brakes and freaking out as BigRed bounced and slammed and hauled butt back over the rocks and out of the rock garden in reverse at 3,500 RPM. Just before I went backwards over a nice cliff, I managed to pull the transmission forcefully out of gear with a loud clunk and stop the beast. It immediately idled down. I did some testing on flat ground and found that if I eased it around in reverse this wouldn't happen, but if I blipped the throttle pretty good, it would do the same thing. I was stumped initally, but it turns out the motor and transmission mounts were so shot that the torque in reverse would tweak the motor over in such a way as to pull on the throttle cable and hold it there until I got it out of gear. When I pulled the motor mounts, they just fell apart into two pieces in my hands. Replaced those and no more Christine truck.

Now let's hear your scary FSJ stories!
    -JoshUSMC

"Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." -Adam Welchel

1985 J20 "BigRed" 360/727/208/44/60 Edelbrock Performer Intake, Carb, Cam, MSD 6
    1974 J10 "Ugly Monster" VERY SADLY SOLD!
    1969 Javelin SST "Yet Unnamed" 290/BW M40 (360 build in the works with a built TH350)
  • UKJeeper
    304 AMC
    • Feb 25, 2005

Breaking up one of my previous SJ's (see sig), i was working underneath it getting the drive train out, for the best part of an hour.

The axles were already off, as were the springs. So the body,frame were on axle stands along the rails.

Crawled out from under, and leaned on the carcass, when it promptly fell off the axle stands and landed where i had just been! WithAboutThisMuchSpaceUnderIt.

Turned out one of the axle stands had failed, bent, and allowed the SJ to move.
    '79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
    '79 Cherokee 4 door (RIP)
    '79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
    '82 Cherokee Chief
    Fiat Renegade...

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

This was probably the biggest adrenaline rush I have had at 65 mph...

Some how I did not roll it.

In "the hind sight" department, this would be the scariest...

The full deal:
      We are OK. We really haven’t had the time or frame of mind to post about it till now. We’ve been trying to figure out what we are going to do and locate our dog who ran off into the desert after the accident and hasn’t been seen since Saturday night. We were coming up out of the wash on an easy shelf road.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• hookedup50
        350 Buick
        • Aug 07, 2010

Driving at speed and plastic spare tire nut let go. Tired was bouncing in 30ish foot hops about 15 feet high. No one got hurt, but I guarantee there were some stained pants. Took hour to find tire. I wish I had pics or video of event or pic of my face watching tire in rearview mirror.
        Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
        Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
        Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
        07 Colorado
        http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• srobertsfsj
          304 AMC
          • Aug 26, 2002

For me it was being t-bone by a city bus while driving through an intersection less than a mile from my house on my way home from work Christmas Eve. Got knocked sideways and slide through the intersection. I am lucky I didnt flip the super chief

Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
          http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

'78 Cherokee WT 360/4spd

Engine stall on VERY steep hill then losing the ability to hold it w/ brakes or get it restarted.
            Rolled down the hill backwards until we hit a tree to stop.

Luckily nobody got hurt!
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

one time i got in the wagoneer to go home from work and the XM radio didn't work.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Oooh I forgot about one...

'77 Cherokee NT 401 (1st SJ), almost got into a head on collision w/ a police officer.
                Me and a buddy were just driving down the road, and he swerved over 2 lines and was heading straight for us.
                I had to hit the ditch, tore the exhaust off the truck, and bent a rim.
                He was leaned over towards the passenger side of the car not watching where he was going.
                Didn't even bother to stop
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJunkie
                  The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                  • Jan 09, 2011

I almost slid 3 generations of family memories backwards off the side of a mountain.

Doesn't look that scary, but trust me, but if you look after the turn, you can see that it's actually pretty steep. The road is fresh here, but within a month it was full of ruts and washboards from idiots hitting their brakes on the way down. Straight behind me in this photo is another switchback in the opposite direction around the corner of the mountain.

Now imagine this road covered in week old snowpack around sunset. As I reached the section next to the tree in the photo, I lost all traction and slid sideways into the ditch on the left, my rear bumper jammed into the snowbank. I freed myself and tried again, with a perfect repeat result. Time to go home, but without a place to turn around, I had to back down with the brakes. I was already in low range, but it wasn't slow enough.

But by now the sun was setting and the road was freezing over. When I backed to the point I am at in the photo, I lost all control. I locked all four wheels with the brakes and slid ever so slowly straight backwards toward the switchback behind me. If I didn't make that switchback, it was a fatal 800 foot drop off the side. I was franticly trying every combination of brakes, gears, and steering to try and control my excruciatingly slow slide to doom, with no luck. In my last attempt, I let off the brakes and my speed picked up, but I regained steering and steered the back bumper into the ditch and snow back to stop me. I stopped at the last section of straight road. Good thing, because I had my door open and my seatbelt undone ready to jump out of the car and save my life by letting it go over.

I had to pull forward to free myself, but whenever I tried, the tires would just spin and the front end would try to side-slip out and I could feel the slope of the road trying to make the car swap ends. I knew if it did that, it would not be recoverable.

I pulled out my brand new floormats and put them under the front tires. By now the ice was so bad I could barely stand on it myself.

It worked, and I was again on the road. I knew fully that even a gentle shove would send the car sliding like a hockey puck again.

I made it around the switchback sliding between dry patches of road in N with the brakes. I found engine power in R made it slide worse. The rest of the way back down the 1 mile road was the same thing: slide backwards for 5 feet or so...hit dry patch....slide for several feet, dry patch.

It took 3 hours for me to back down 1 mile of road.
                  '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Night dune run years back. Following a cruiser and went up a dune, had to hit the power when I realized how tall it was, then back out of it near the top. All of a sudden realized I was not going to get over it and hit the gas again. The cruiser had a lighted long whip and the light on it went out of sight just about the time his tails disappeared. KNIFE EDGE!!!! Launched off of that thing and was airborne.....The nose fell through and just then I hit hard on all 4's, bounced once and kept going.

Went back the next morning and saw the 4 impressions where I landed...about 60 feet out from the top and 80 feet down.

Last time I ever went out at night and it was 3-4 years before the wife found out why I don't do night runs out there anymore.

This was at Christmas Valley dunes in central Oregon out on the southeast corner, on a Memorial Day w/e.
                    Art
                    ASE Master Collision Tech
                    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                      Murphy's Law Poster Child
                      • Dec 03, 2003

I hit a black bear...and a tree...

You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                      '88 GW
                      '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• the original Honcho
                        327 Rambler
                        • Mar 14, 2005

1978 Chief

When I was about 11 or 12, hunting with my dad and some family friends, we were attempting a gnarly gravel and rock hill, and near the top my dad realized it wasn't going to make it. So he stopped, threw it into reverse, and proceeded to back down. Then the throttle got stuck, so we were flying down this hill, hitting all the big rocks and it started to go sideways (in reverse, probably going 30mph) The big custom rear bumper caught a boulder twice the size of the Jeep and that stopped it. That whole afternoon my dad talked about getting rid of it for any price, lol. Went back the next day, fixed the throttle and was back in business!
                        1980 Jeep J-20
                        1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
                        1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        1975 Jeep Wagoneer- The Green Bastard, from Parts
                        Unknown
                        1968 Plymouth Satellite
                        1978 Camaro- back in action
                        1980 'Vette. Chevette. Please someone buy this

Comment

• 78J-10
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 15, 2008

Brake booster went out on my 79 J-20 pulling my popup camper the other year. Was only at 55mph when it happened but still scary when you have a set of hair pin turns coming up and the truck is on 36's lol
                          78 J-10: 258 w/2100,D20,HD44,14 Bolt,36's (SOLD )
                          79 J20: 360 T18 D20 33s 36k: current state:
                          88 Waggy: 360/727/Quad All stock rusty roof 78k :
                          Tow Rig: 2013 CCLB 4x4 w/ 6.7L Cummins

Comment

• Red20
                            258 I6
                            • Jun 19, 2010

grand_wag_85, that looks BAD, man. I cringed seeing those pictures.

78J-10, I had that happen crawling down a steep hill offroading, but never on the highway with a trailer.

Ristow, seriously? LOL!
                            -JoshUSMC

"Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." -Adam Welchel

1985 J20 "BigRed" 360/727/208/44/60 Edelbrock Performer Intake, Carb, Cam, MSD 6
                            1974 J10 "Ugly Monster" VERY SADLY SOLD!
                            1969 Javelin SST "Yet Unnamed" 290/BW M40 (360 build in the works with a built TH350)

Comment

• 77JEEPJ20
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 12, 2010

A couple of weeks ago I was heading to the store in the J20 on my lunch break. Parked went in got what I needed came back out and fired it up. Went to put in reverse and thought man that brake pedal feels weird. Well I went ahead and put it in reverse anyway. Thats when I discovered the funny feeling brake pedal was a blown front rubber line to the passenger caliper. Had it happened on the way to the store there would have been a very large wreck.
                              1977 Jeep J20 401 TH400 Quadratrac w/ part time conversion SOA/SF

Comment

Working...
                              X