International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Thumbs up IFSJ Site

Theres been some downtime here lately. And as a result some Internet prophets have made claims that this ship is gonna sink. The facts are the owner walked away from this site and hosting company has been kind enough not to shut us down despite financial losses. IFSJ is a great collection of archived information and helpful people. And it exists because Golden Computer Services has allocated server space and bandwidth for us and maintained the site; its come back up every time its gone down. Someone is still watching out for the technical well being of IFSJ. I want to give a big thank you to to the owner of our servers for that. The unparalleled generosity is very appreciated here. I plan on being here for years to come.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM

I agree, still being fairly new to this site, thank you for providing service to us.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
258 I6

Is there a need for a little fund raising to keep things going?

I can't afford to lose contact with all the folks and all the knowledge on this forum!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg7613
Is there a need for a little fund raising to keep things going?

I can't afford to lose contact with all the folks and all the knowledge on this forum!
Let us know, we WLILL figure this out. If money is needed im in. This can not die.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Master Mechanic

I guess fundraising doesn't work because the last time we did it, we caused a lot of tax problems for the guy. Sucks.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Tried throwing money at it when we had the chance to update the software or something like that. Turned into a tax nightmare for the onwer of the server!

Think of it like this: When we come here, we are parking in the "Shakie's Frozen Pizza" parking lot. We're not eating Shakie's Pizza, and Shakie ain't making any money off of us, we're just hangin' out in his parking lot and he used to hang out in the parking lot so he don't mind us doing it. 12 years ago, the parking lot was pretty nice, but now it's falling apart and full of pot holes and concrete slabs that teeter and totter every time someone drives over them. Sometimes when it rains the parking lot turns into a lake and we can't get in until it get's pumped out.

We're just expecting the parking lot to get closed. If Shakie's Frozen Pizza didn't make any money off of me, I can't reasonably expect Shakie to repave the lot just for us.

I'm still gonna come here until it's got yellow chains around it or they put an office building in though!
What's been did:
Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
MSD Streetfire based TFI
Custom-hack gauge cluster
Razor swap
Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
2 knob tape deck!
3" homebuilt lift
Half a hillbilly paint job
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM

If the owner wants money, he should make a posting and people can contribute. Certainly don't want to cause tax issues. Even though I am FSJ less, I enjoy the site, everyone here is nice and helpful, I would certainly contribute. Thanks for keeping us around! But please let us know if something needs to be done.
2012 Honda Odyssey

“This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.” - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM

As a fairly new member (joined last year), my concern is loosing the vast amount of knowledge here that can be found on all sorts of subjects by searching the forums.

Any way to get a backup of the forum database so that we can at least recreate the forums (read only possibly) on a newer more updated site?

I'd hate to loose all this great information!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Gear Head

Ya know, "SOME" of the forums I belong to require you to be a paying member in order to post for sale ads or what's it worth ads or even WTB ads.....that would not be so bad here either. How many of you would spend $25 a year to be here? What about vendors? Check out 67-72chevytrucks.com. Look how they run their website. I for one would be willing to pay for a site that was full of USEFUL info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDONE
Bring some wet-naps. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

It's been a great site, but eventually Golden might get tired of keeping it going. You never know what's gonna happen. Dont forget www.fsjnetwork.com that was started by Stuka, a member here, for when it does die. A lot of the archived tech stuff is still over there. I would suggest signing up there, too, so the community doesn't die off when IFSJA dies.

Thanks to all those who bust their humps to keep this place going, though

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
350 Buick

Shakies Pizza parking lot sounds like a great place to go wheelin.

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
But it's free"
Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM

How much would it cost to buy "Shakies Frozen Pizza's Parking Lot"? We could have a co-op where members all contribute to the upkeep. $2 a year per person would safely cover the cost of the site upkeep.
Maybe BJ's or TGW would foot the bill. I can't see it being more than $1,000 a year to keep operational.

Last edited by Wackyneer : 10-03-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM

I just emailed Golden Computer Service. I'm trying to determine how much it will cost to keep the site afloat. My concern is that if the site is removed, all the valueable info contained herein will disappear forever.
If necessary, I'm willing to pay for the site and charge a trivial $2-$5 (one time) to be permitted to post- reading would remain free. Obviously, Sir Ristow- et al- will have free membership; I'm thinking anyone with over 1,000 posts should have free access.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Ummm, hello people.

click here; http://fsjnetwork.com/forum , sign up and start posting.

I too hope this site stays up, but I have my doubts...
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyneer
I just emailed Golden Computer Service. I'm trying to determine how much it will cost to keep the site afloat. My concern is that if the site is removed, all the valueable info contained herein will disappear forever.
If necessary, I'm willing to pay for the site and charge a trivial $2-$5 (one time) to be permitted to post- reading would remain free. Obviously, Sir Ristow- et al- will have free membership; I'm thinking anyone with over 1,000 posts should have free access.

Its a little more complicated then that. Golden Computer Service doesnt own the forum and the data, they just own the hardware and bandwidth. The person that owns the rights to the forum and data itself has not been active in years and has no intention of maintaining the site. There are several people that would have no problem hosting the site, myself included, I work for a hosting company. The issue is that we cannot legally move it anywhere else or update the software without the consent of the owner. The mods have done the best they can with the rights that they have to keep it up and going.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Ummm, hello people.

click here; http://fsjnetwork.com/forum , sign up and start posting.

I too hope this site stays up, but I have my doubts...
I don't think anyone is reading the inner posts they are just reading the first one. Maybe we need to make FSJNetwork even more noticeable.

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/index.php
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Grease Monkey

I'm signed up at fsjnetwork but don't want to lose a parent. I know we all have to come together some way to keep this site safe. We have so younger people starting to look at this site and joining! This needs to be around to pass on info. Yes the other site is running well and I'm grateful for that.! I also know that an original is worth more than a reproduction but a reproduction can fill in and express ideas that couldn't be done when first started.
Problem

Got to love them
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Gear Head

Who owned this site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDONE
Bring some wet-naps. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushawg
I'm signed up at fsjnetwork but don't want to lose a parent. I know we all have to come together some way to keep this site safe. We have so younger people starting to look at this site and joining! This needs to be around to pass on info. Yes the other site is running well and I'm grateful for that.! I also know that an original is worth more than a reproduction but a reproduction can fill in and express ideas that couldn't be done when first started.

Unfortunately, that's an unfair burden on our current admin, who must personally spend hours approving and authenticating each and every new member on this board since the automated version through the board software is so old that spambots walk right through it like it's not even there!

What's not getting across is it CANNOT be updated. Legally we cannot make any changes to this board and the legal owner WILL not. Nor will he sell or give license to anyone else to do so. Huge chunks of the precious info we keep talking about falls off in the middle of the night and nobody notices until they look for something specific. Keep track of your post count, watch long enough and you'll see it drop! The posts and threads just go away! You wanna keep the info, but we got to write it on something other than a chalkboard to do so!
What's been did:
Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
MSD Streetfire based TFI
Custom-hack gauge cluster
Razor swap
Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
2 knob tape deck!
3" homebuilt lift
Half a hillbilly paint job
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote: