International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 PM
350 Buick

Question Have searched (a lot), latest TFI parts list and HEI/TFI wiring diagrams?

I've spent a few hours this evening searching all over (here and Internet) for the latest parts list for TFI for AMC V8s. Seems there are a few slight differences in what people are getting, seems earlier postings seem to list '79, '84, 86 Ford Fx50 parts, while somewhat more recent postings seem to suggest '92 F350 w/ 460, EEC (or ECC?). I also noticed some folks had to make a couple trips back to the parts place because some parts didn't exactly work well together or just got the wrong thing in the first place.

What is the latest and greatest parts list to ask for at the parts counter?

I've also kept track of (though apparently never downloaded) HEI/TFI wiring diagrams, mostly by JYG and John Strenk (from JU's CJ Forum). The last one I saw seemed to indicate JYG has since added a diode somewhere in the mix. I can't find it now.

I'd like to see please the latest and greatest wiring diagram and have some questions about the capacitor and diode. Maybe this might be good for the recent request for archive material?
76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
96 ZJ

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 AM

Well I used the MSD Cap-A-Dapt cap and rotor kit, $32 on Summit, spark plug wires for a 5.0/5.8L Windsor Ford (like in an 80's Mustang and most 80s V8 Fords, I used $41 Ford Racing wires), and a new e-core coil that was $25 from the local parts store. Mounted the coil on the left fender behind the washer fluid box, soldered some extension wires that simply plugged into the old coil wires, and called it done. Runs much better now. Coil doesn't get 12volts, but I'm afraid of the module burning out from trying to ground the 12 volts. I plan to switch to an aftermarket module and use the full 12 volts, not sure what yet, either an hei style module or 80's Ford module that is less expensive, or an MSD style box like an MSD 6-AL.

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Last edited by DanHS : 01-13-2007 at 02:09 AM.