International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Master Mechanic

Question

So I am trying to fix my 229 I took out and was wondering how hard a task I am getting into. In a nutshell, when it broke down I drove for about 45min highway, went onto a rural road down a hill and started back up the other side and lost power. 2WD whole time. In any gear other than park (including neutral) it would make a loud rattling-gear noise inside the case. Got it home and when I pulled it found out previous owner had neglected fluid level and only one I hadn't checked yet (first 4wd--didn't realize), but the fluid that did come out was about enough for 3 tablespoons and thick/black with what looks like bits of chain. Someone told me it may have just run dry and slipped out of gear. It shifts fine by hand, no noise and seems tight out of the truck and acts like that was what happened. Is this possible? Only had about 103k on it.

What should I look for, and is there a recommended manual for the 229? I would plan on at least a kit with a new chain and seals.

I had a transmission shop offer to buy it for the core but I am thinking if it isn't impossible it may be worth my time to fix and keep as a spare if my used model I bought ever dies. We didn't talk $$, but what is a core usually worth? This could play into my choice if anyone has an idea.

Thanks in advance. James

Thought it would be simple, forgot it was a Jeep.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Gear Head

If the fluid looked metallic, there is a very good chance that your viscous coupler is shot. If the vc is shot, it's not worth it to rebuild. The last guy I talked to couldn't get a vc for under $600. My advice is to swap in either another good used 229 (I have a two for sale - $100 plus the ride) or a 208. The 208 is more durable, but it is a part-time transfer case and thus is less desirable for those who drive on sometimes snowy roads and like to switch in and out of 4wd frequently and easily. If you live in southern states, a 208 would be the way to go. You'll need to install some manual hubs too if you go that route.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Master Mechanic

The fluid looked more old and dirty than metallic, and there were definately some edge pieces of chain. Not a lot, but enough. What exactly does the vc do, and how can I check to see if that is the problem?

I did get another 229 (couldn't be down for too long) so this would be my backup if it's fixable.

Thanks, James

Thought it would be simple, forgot it was a Jeep.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:03 PM
out of order

Transmission Exchange quoted me;
$190.73 + S/H for 229 rebuild kit
$87.76 + S/H for 229 chain

800-776-1191