International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-17-2021, 12:58 PM
232 I6

Let's play "name that part"....what is this thing ???

On my dash in a homemade toggle switch is a wire that runs through the floorboard to this thing....anyone know what that is ? It looks like it had fuel lines to it that have been cut. It is on the driver side about underneath the bench seat.

Early model with razor grill
Spring Green exterior (original)

Custom series interior
Old 09-17-2021, 02:08 PM
304 AMC

Pump or maybe a valve for switching between tanks or a pump to fill one tank from another rather than having a selector switch.

How many lines went to it?

What happens when you turn the switch on?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:14 PM
232 I6

Nothing happens but then most of my dash wires look like a mess. The Jeep does have 2 tanks. They are connected up by the main line where the gas comes in. So it seems both tanks would fill when gas is put into them. I could see 2 lines and they were cut.

Custom series interior
Old 09-18-2021, 07:07 AM
232 I6

Was fitting an auxiliary tank an option when someone bought these new or just a popular thing to do? I recently bought a 70 wagoneer and it has two tanks as well. Or was it part of the x model appointments? By the way thanks drcom for the build thread it has been very motivating towards me working on my 70
Old 09-18-2021, 10:47 AM
304 AMC

How are the outlets of the two tanks plumbed? Is there a selector or are they in parallel so the engine just sucks from both?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:13 PM
232 I6

I haven't figured out the way the tanks work yet. That is on my list. There ANOTHER switch that says /front/rear and another home made toggle. So I am guessing that was suppose to change tanks. The fuel gauge doesn't work......and I don't even know which tank it goes with....there is only one filler tub and it splits pretty quick to access both tanks. It appears to be a mess. I am sure this is NOT a factory option. Maybe dealer install because it doesn't look very professional at all under neath. I will try to crawl under there today and gets some pics. I have to pull the radiator and heater core so the guy can rebuild them this week. Hope to get it back on and running soon, but didn't want to risk overheating and ruining what engine I have left. It doesn't sound horrible and isn't leaking like crazy so I want to prolong the rebuild.

Custom series interior
Old 09-21-2021, 11:42 AM

The coffin tank next to the drive shaft is the original tank. Anything else was added. I would be very skeptical of filling two tanks from the same fill hose.

If you look in the TSM, there is an excellent drawing of the fuel system and hoses. Or look at the parts book; group 4, plates 11 and 12.

I would just remove the aux tank and this pump or valve and any extra lines. Put it back to factory plumbing first. IMO the aux tank is something you should put on the list of later enhancements, once you're fully running and driving.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 09-22-2021, 06:43 AM
232 I6

I think this is great advice. As soon as the radiator and heater core gets back, we should be back to trying to get it driving again. If I can ever get it past the inspection to get some plates on her, she needs to get the fuel system figured out so the fuel gauge will start working. I read the dash with the gauges come out with some springs in the back. Hopefully we can find one of those contortionist circus people. I also have to figure out how to get the heater controls out of the dash to see if there is a vacuum line to it and working correctly. Winter is coming. The Mrs will want heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreese
The coffin tank next to the drive shaft is the original tank. Anything else was added. I would be very skeptical of filling two tanks from the same fill hose.

If you look in the TSM, there is an excellent drawing of the fuel system and hoses. Or look at the parts book; group 4, plates 11 and 12.

I would just remove the aux tank and this pump or valve and any extra lines. Put it back to factory plumbing first. IMO the aux tank is something you should put on the list of later enhancements, once you're fully running and driving.

Custom series interior