International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-05-2021, 07:09 PM
230 Tornado

Canary in My Driveway

Drug this beauty home on my trailer a couple months ago--1975 j-20 has been parked in back yard since 2008--and since have been involved in the thrills of dismantle and fooling around on another jeep forum. Am now to the point I need specific help which brings me here. Biggest thrill at the moment is the 48" parking brake line on the rear of this beast. Front brakes went without a hitch but as this beast will be for sale I just cannot bring myself to putting rear brakes together without parking. Anybody familiar with these cables??

Other (and newest problem) is radiator. Took original to shop to be repaired and after couple broken promises they left message it is too far gone. They also say they can find another. Are the aluminum radiators on Amazon any good?
Old 09-06-2021, 02:19 PM
258 I6

The Canary is looking good!

About the alloy radiators ,I bought a three row one from eBay a couple years ago and it fitted perfect and cooling performance was also perfect.
I can't say it's better as a new copper radiator , but it was a cheaper and faster option at that moment.

I would buy another one if needed , but probably go for a four row.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:29 PM
258 I6

The parking brake cables are probably not one piece.
They are shorter on each side and connected with a metal piece bent as a C hook and connected to a longer cable piece.

If you take one off as a sample and have two new ones made at a local cable shop!?

The only thing I always hated about these parking brakes is that you have to press it with your food and most of the times it popping free and the truck is rolling away.

I'm converting it with a hand parking brake lever from a 41 ford at the moment.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:18 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
The Canary is looking good!

About the alloy radiators ,I bought a three row one from eBay a couple years ago and it fitted perfect and cooling performance was also perfect.
I can't say it's better as a new copper radiator , but it was a cheaper and faster option at that moment.

I would buy another one if needed , but probably go for a four row.

Really wanted to be as correct as possible to OEM on this creature----but $$$ will speak when radiator is replaced. And YES I think that 4 row will be the answer but worry a bit about thickness of piece and the front of motor making close acquaintances!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:20 PM
230 Tornado

Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
The parking brake cables are probably not one piece.
They are shorter on each side and connected with a metal piece bent as a C hook and connected to a longer cable piece.

If you take one off as a sample and have two new ones made at a local cable shop!?

The only thing I always hated about these parking brakes is that you have to press it with your food and most of the times it popping free and the truck is rolling away.

I'm converting it with a hand parking brake lever from a 41 ford at the moment.

Guess I should pull out all the old/bad stuff before I start whining. Problem there is the "local" cable shop would be minimum of 100 plus miles each way----up to just under 600 if nothing closer to make me happy. Pull it out tomorrow and then start, right? There-----I have a PLAN!!!???
Old 09-07-2021, 02:08 PM
Administrator

The E-Brake is actually made up of 4 different cables. There is one cable that goes from the pedal down under the cab. Then there is the one that is kinda U-shaped that is connected to the one that comes under the cab, and connects to both sides. Then, each side has it's own cable that connects from the U-shaped cable to the drum assembly. I am assuming you are looking for the long U-shaped cable? I am not sure I have seen those new but I bet if you put up a "wanted ad" in the classifieds, someone will have one. The other 3 cables can be found fairly easily. I think Rockauto has them. Also, I know the J-truck chassi's are slightly wider than the Cherokee/Wago bodies but I am not sure if that width translates into a slightly longer U-shaped cable...

Rads: I have no input. Stock is sufficient or better if the rad is in good shape. These trucks don't usually overheat if the cooling system is stock, complete, and in good shape.

BTW, your truck is awesome!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-07-2021, 04:48 PM

I found cables for my J20 when I worked on the brakes. There are indeed 4 separate cables. If you look in the '74-80 parts manual it will give you part numbers, and you can try to cross to what the aftermarket sellers have. I expect that the models 25, 45 and 46 will have the same front cable, though the saddle cable is probably different. Wheel cables will be specific to the J20.

I am running the plastic and aluminum radiator with no issues.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 09-07-2021, 07:31 PM
350 Buick

Crown Automotive should have some or all of those cables - you can get them through places like quadratec, 4WD.com, etc or maybe right from Crown. Believe it or not, I was able to get the two rear cables for my wag from the dealer, although they probably got them from Crown, or they were NOS parts. But that was over 10 years ago too.

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:43 AM

To the OP, I strongly suggest you get the parts book and find the right PNs for this. There are too many variants and different PNs for me to list here. The '74-80 parts book should be available on CD-ROM for about $20 on RockAuto. You can also look at the '62-73 and the '80-up books here for free. https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

There is too much going on here for someone to just give you the answer. Things vary by year and equipment (transmissions). There is a cable to each wheel, there is a yoke calbe that goes between the two wheel cables, and a cable from the yoke to the foot pedal. I was able to find a wheel cable for my J20, but I expect that you will find very little for a truck that's pre-80. You might make the later parts work with a little adapting.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 09-10-2021, 11:13 AM
230 Tornado

Canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadin'
Crown Automotive should have some or all of those cables - you can get them through places like quadratec, 4WD.com, etc or maybe right from Crown. Believe it or not, I was able to get the two rear cables for my wag from the dealer, although they probably got them from Crown, or they were NOS parts. But that was over 10 years ago too.

Yep.....Crown has what appears to be the wheel cable. Problem is you must be a vendor of sorts to even get price from them. Vendors they list are at least 100 miles distant-----only local if NAPA and even the old timers cringe when I walk through door. (last fix years have done 64 IH Travelette; 68 Travelall: 65 Jeepster Commando and a couple round eye Ford half tons thrown in for good measure). Parts are eventually found but I wanted this one to be a two month turn over and I just cannot let it go with bad rear brakes of any sort. Well, Friday and I will have computer time this evening to search. Best part is the seat is still being upholstered so that lowers the rush threshold.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:15 AM
230 Tornado

Canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreese
To the OP, I strongly suggest you get the parts book and find the right PNs for this. There are too many variants and different PNs for me to list here. The '74-80 parts book should be available on CD-ROM for about $20 on RockAuto. You can also look at the '62-73 and the '80-up books here for free. https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

There is too much going on here for someone to just give you the answer. Things vary by year and equipment (transmissions). There is a cable to each wheel, there is a yoke calbe that goes between the two wheel cables, and a cable from the yoke to the foot pedal. I was able to find a wheel cable for my J20, but I expect that you will find very little for a truck that's pre-80. You might make the later parts work with a little adapting.

Yep----part numbers work miracles!!!??? Radiator problem appears solved as I finally have one in back of pickup in box. Clean up engine bay a bit more and installation here we come!!!!! Oh yea---Rockauto has the cd for parts/manual/etc on way. All these years buying from them and I thought "LITERATURE" on their list was always sales brochures! Great find and thanks for that