International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-04-2021, 08:11 PM
232 I6

Vapor lock/boiling-edited

Three weeks ago I needed to pick up two tons of hay (sorry I forgot to take pics) about 30 miles away from home. It was one of those 90* plus days. On the the drive back I was four miles from home when the engine stuttered and stalled. Pulled over and lifted the hood, looked around for a minute, saw the gas boiling the glass fuel filter. Let it cool down, then carefully drove the rest of the way home.
This took a few revisions to the new engine to work out, it's only got about 1200 mile on it with a QuickFuel Slayer 600. Well the electric fuel pump had been on the the car when I bought 16 years ago with a 4350 4v carb. Never made friends with that carb. So I replaced that fuel pump with a new Facet 7-10psi electric and a Holly deadhead regulator. I plumbed in a pressure gauge just before the stock type filter (with the return line). That line also had the glass filter in it. Only was getting 3-4psi. QuickFuel recomends 6-7psi
After more trial and error/learning I found that the glass filters (I have just always liked being able to see if gas was flowing) reduce fuel pressure by 1-2psi because of restricted opening at both ends. The filter inside did not make a difference in pressure. Next I found that stock filter was reducing pressure by allowing the excess fuel to return to the tank, which is what it is designed to do. If I capped off the return nipple and the pressure increased about 3psi. But I know it needs a return line.
So I replaced the deadhead reg. with a Areomotive reg. with built in return line and the filter, capped off, in front of it. Nothing like reinventing the wheel but it seems to be working, although I have not been on any "hot" drives yet.
This was the fuel line before:

After the changes:

Made a heat shied from galvanize flashing:

Correct pressure:

The QuickFuel required a throttle mod. because it did not allow WOT cable:

Finally the power steering pump had been needing to be replaced, stuck a filter in the return line there:

We'll see how it goes.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH

Last edited by oregonphil : 09-09-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:01 AM
350 Buick

That looks great!
Old 09-13-2021, 01:26 PM
258 I6

vapor lock...

When I first moved to AZ. I had a 78' Suburban 4x4 with a 400 small block engine.

When it was hot out and I was usually climbing mountain passes it would vapor lock and not run.

The fix: Any wood stove place sells a ceramic blanket type material so I bought a piece and it can be cut with scissors or snips and used baling wire to rap it around the fuel line from where it comes into engine bay to where it passes quite close to exhaust and it insulates crazy good and the fuel lines never got hot again.

For just a few dollars it fixed the problem. You could pull any hill or mountain no matter the temps outside and it was fine.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:18 PM
232 I6

"fuel line from where it comes into engine bay to where it passes quite close to exhaust" yes I am thinking that is the problem area. On my car there is only about 2 1/2" between the exhaust flange and the steel fuel lines that run along frame. That's way too close. I might have some of that ceramic insulation, I like that idea.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 09-14-2021, 12:25 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

This is how I did it... rerouted the whole sheebang on the fender

Yes, I am running a electric fuel pump

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work