International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 09-03-2021, 11:16 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
...If the vaccine is safe and does what it is supposed to do, then those of us who choose not to take it are the ones accepting the risk. To say that I MUST take the vaccine to prevent you from getting sick is self defeating because either we both don't have the vaccine and me getting you sick is because you did not get the vaccine either, or you did get the the vaccine and whether I have the vaccine or not is irrelevant to you...

Exactly why I won't be getting it, unless my new Fed job requires it (it doesn't... yet). I figure I'm already ahead of the curve, having had whatever damn variations were floating around. Figure I'll get the newest version too at some point since the govt wants to keep it trickling amongst the population instead of just letting it run its course.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 09-03-2021, 12:21 PM
232 I6

I think it's good to see we are serious about these subjects and how they affects our lives. The debates on these subjects are very important and personal.
Almost as heated as the debate over ported vs manifold vacuum.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 09-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonphil
I think it's good to see we are serious about these subjects and how they affects our lives. The debates on these subjects are very important and personal.
Almost as heated as the debate over ported vs manifold vacuum.
AMEN!!! Preach it!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 10-30-2021, 12:29 PM
350 Buick

I'm more pessimistic than Phil, I don't think online discussions move the needle much at all.

I will say I think this demonstrates two vastly different (and extremely entrenched) world views: rugged individualist vs. collectivist. And for the rugged individualists, I have this question: where do you go when you get so sick you can hardly breathe?

It's a rhetorical question, of course, most people go to the hospital, many of which lately are overcrowded with COVID patients (whether you believe it or not). My body, my choice, until you (or a loved one) can't get a ventilator you need to live. I wonder then if the tune changes to "why can't the public health system save me?"

The legality and limits of vaccine mandates were decided by the Supreme Court over 100 years ago. We call that "settled law."

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:53 PM

On the 4th of August, my implanted defibulator went off 5 times in 3 hours, the last 3 in the ER. No cardio ICU beds in the state, CA and WA were not accepting any transfers at all. They finally found 2 hospitals with beds available. One in ID, the other in MN. I'm 68, and have 25% ejection fraction. That is volume of blood moved out of the ventricle on each heartbeat. Normal is 65-70%.

Ended up with being lifeflighted to Boise.
Don't know what the final out of pocket is going to be, already paid $1100, trying to get that back from VA, and see if they cover the $1500 that Medicare didn't. VA already said not covering $3400 from what looks like the Boise ambulance from airport to hospital. ( 7 miles mileage charge) No idea if I'm getting a bill for the flight or how much if I get one. Haven't seen one from the local ambulance yet either, but the last one for the same distance was $2500 in April of 2020.

And an excellent cardio team less than 25 miles from me.... COVID had them overflowing and still do.

As far as I'm concerned, the non-vacers should not get admitted to any medical center. If you don't get it, (covid) absolutely great. You made the choice, live or die with it on your own. I've been hibernating alone since my part-time employer made a 900 mile round trip to get me when Boise turned me loose. With my health, a case of covid would do me in. Yeah, got my second stick in May, and looking at the booster sometime in Nov/Dec. Don't need to chance being a "breakthrough" victim. We have an 80% vaccination rate in the state, and around 90% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated. While the vaccine may not be the perfect cure, (and they can't be), it shows that at least it slows downs the rate of serious cases that need hospitalization.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Last edited by goldhammer : 11-12-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:39 AM
258 I6

i have my 2 vaccinations since spring

the gouvernment has lowered the requirements in summer.
we had low infection rate and gouvernment votes in september.

the last week we have a rapidly rise of infections.. up to 507 for 100000 (392 absolut) residents in our district in eastern baveria

This i called inzidenz is and was the #1 identification number for measures like lockdown, wearing masks and what kind of it, , closed restaurants..

now i am positive since last sunday and have to go in isolation at home for 2 weeks. not funny, but hey. i am at home and can work from home.

have a mild illness for 3 days, now i am mostly fine. (but no taste and smell )

In germany we have now a second identification number for the covid valuation

the number of free intensive beds in hospitals. with artifical respiration/Ventilation..
This is to controll if the covid infects are only like a litte cough and the good old influenza or if our hospitals get stressed.

my district has 13 intensive beds.
0 free, all occupied!
2 of them are covid patients, and both the respiration
since 1. juli 40 coved patients in the hospital, only 5 from them with vaccianations

the neighbour district has this situation
17 intensive beds.
0 free
5 from 17 are covid patients, 3 of them with respiration.

Since today we have stricter rules again.
for clubs now 2G istead of 3G or 3G+
(some soccer clubs allow only 2G for visiting the games too!)
G-rules mean:
1. G: Genesen: recover from Coid
2. G Geimpft: vaccination
3. G Getestet: tested for covid infection.
You have to pay the test for your own, if you are older than 12 years, not otherwise ill, pregnant aso

The pressure for the non vaccinated person rises !
Old 11-01-2021, 09:00 AM

People make choices wrt personal risk every day. Getting the vax or not is one of those choices. You can disagree about the wisdom of that choice, or not.

I work at a hospital. I was offered the vax early - first dose of Moderna in January, second early in February. Since I sometimes meet patients in the course of my work, I could have received it maybe 6-8 weeks earlier.

My choice, since in the demographic most at risk. Since then the legal status of the vax (provisional FDA approval?) has changed, and the hospital requires vaccination for work. Not an issue for me, since previously I sought it for myself.

Dunno, the hospital also requires an annual flu vaccine, since maybe two years ago? Previously you got a label on your ID badge that allowed entry to patient areas, but no mandate. Something about the law changed two years ago ... not sure what.

I think the employers are on solid legal ground, requiring vaccination. IMO public agencies are not, but I am not a constitutional lawyer.

However, doctors have always treated patients regardless of how their injuries or afflictions were acquired. They can't deny treatment to a burglar who gets shot while committing the crime. They can't deny treatment to someone who tries to kill themselves with pills - even though that's contrary to their clear intent. If you wish to change this, be careful what you wish for.

My opinion - much of the controversy comes from the invisible foot of government mandate. People in general will act in their own self-interest, and will get vaccinated if the reason for such is clear. Many people become bloody-minded (as my Granddad would say) when you compel them to choose, and application of more force is unlikely to be more convincing.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 11-01-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskeptico
I'm more pessimistic than Phil, I don't think online discussions move the needle much at all. ...
I think this is correct. Spend some time on Twitter if you are not convinced. Also, most people get their opinions from Facebook and Twitter, which specifically curates consensus views with theirs. The legacy press has adopted this model, and the diversity of opinion via those channels has similarly decreased. If you want to form your own opinion, I suggest you look for independent thinkers on secondary channels like Substack (just an example - not up to me to curate your search for independent thought).
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 11-01-2021, 12:24 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
most people get their opinions from Facebook and Twitter, which specifically curates consensus views with theirs

Isn't it funny and tragic that the promise and potential of "the internet" being an enriching source of instant-access information devolved into the cesspool that is now Twitter/Facebook/Tiktok/Instagram? It's absolutely just a toxic echo chamber.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:16 PM
Administrator

I hear you guys. It is so hard to have a discussion with folks these days without people getting all bent out of shape. The news media is completely useless these days, too. If anything, they make things worse.

As far as beds go: HHS does track bed usage and posts it for us to see.
HHS Bed utilization website
During the heavy throws of the Pandemic the numbers were insane. Now, not so much.
Scroll down to "HHS Protect Inpatient Bed Dashboard". Then, select percent so you can compare. You will see many beds are taken but the huge numbers being reported as taken by COVID are not there anymore. Newsmedia will make 2 statements that are not related but make it sound like they are. Looks like this:
"In CA COVID sicknesses are taking up a lot of beds in Hospitals. Almost 80% of beds are full in CA." Both are true statements but they make it sound like 80% of Hospital beds are full of COVID patients when really it's less than 7%.

Nationally, 6.37% of beds taken with COVID folks. It's also interesting to compare states. CA with some of the most restrictive COVID rules and tons of Vax mandates has a 6.6% bed usage but FL with anti-mandate laws in effect only has 3.5%. OR has 9.2% right now and very strict mandates vs. TX with anti-mandates is 6.2%. These numbers are relatively high but not "Overcrowding" by any measure.

The idea that we should deny someone a hospital bed because they are not jabbed has two problems:
1) if we did that, than shouldn't we also deny cancer treatments to nicotine users? medical treatment to type 2 diabetics who refuse to monitor/modify their eating habits? How about drug Overdoses? alcohol users with liver problems? What is an ambulance shows up to a car wreck and the driver smells of alcohol, should they step back and watch him die? what if they had one beer, 5 minutes before the wreck? Where do you draw the line?
2) You are assuming that jabbed folks are much less susceptible to needing hospitals beds 100% of the time. If you read the reports (not the news articles about the actual reports) coming out of Israel and Seychelles (the most stuck countries in the world) vs. the ones out of India (treats with other meds and does not do much jabbing) you will see the longer we study these shots, the more we find how ineffective they are and how the other meds ARE effective, especially against Delta. Yet our newsmedia continues to blame those who are not stuck and repeat the same talking points week after week; they (newsmedia) are making things worse.

I also find it frustrating how much our media and government are ignoring natural immunity. Almost every other county in the world acknowledges someone that has recovered from COVID is just as protected, or more protected for longer than someone that has been V-shot only. Again, this includes Israel and Seychelles that are super vaxed.

Why I am so passionate about this? Because I am probably going to lose my job over this. I work for the Navy (6 years active and 20 years in my current job). According the Navy (The Navy's COVID Website)
to date, the "Navy Family" has lost 171 folks to COVID. Keep in mind the "Navy Family" is active duty (346,200), Reservists (57,690), Dependent's (estimated around 400,000), Civil service (like me, estimated around 250,000), and contractors (I cannot find a number so lets guess ~100,000). So for approximately 1,153,890 people, we lost about 87/year. For comparison, on average more sailors die in motorcycle accidents every year than from COVID. Yet we are about to fire thousands of them for not taking a shot that does not always protect them from the disease it is meant to and has caused long term health effects. That sounds like throwing away a baby with some dirty bath water or cutting your nose, eyes, and mouth off to spite your face.

I know people who have lost loved ones to this disease, including folks on this forum. I am not downplaying the disease. I am also am not anti-shot; I am anti-mandate. I just think it is completely wrong to force people to get a shot they don't want.

It is not settled law (that is another news media talking point that is not completely true but keeps getting repeated). You are thinking of Jacobson vs. Massachusetts in 1905. In that case, Jacobson said his religious rights were being infringed by the smallpox vax and refused to get the shot. Massachusetts fined him and he refused to pay it so off to court they went. The supreme court sided with the state and said he had to pay the $5 fine. BUT he never had to get the shot because there was no provision for actually forcing vaccination on any person! If Uncle Sam wants to fine me the equivalent fine (~$150 in today dollars), I will pay the fine and assume the risk.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:33 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
I am not downplaying the disease.

I don't know that it matters, but let's be fair here, Marc, you have downplayed it in this very post and elsewhere in this thread. And from your perspective I suppose it is valid to do so, that you don't consider it an emergency. But even after a member here talked about his own first-hand account with hospital over-crowding, you're still focused on how the media has over-hyped that issue, so I don't know what will convince you of the urgency.

To my mind, what the Jacobson decision settled is that personal liberty is not absolute, that there can be consequences for denying a vaccine in some cases, and it didn't limit the consequences to a five-buck fine. I get that you disagree with the consequences, but that's someone else's call (Navy brass?) and whether or not you or anyone else has the right to deny the shot and keep their job would be up to a court to decide.

Justice Harlan in Jacobson:
“But the liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States to every person within its jurisdiction does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint. There are manifold restraints to which every person is necessarily subject for the common good.”

Old 11-09-2021, 04:32 AM
232 I6

Doubt there is many still here from the OLD days so I may be new to most of you.

A big draw for many at IFSJA is the community that comes out of their passion for FSJs. Always a place where respect for others in the brotherhood was high. With all the polarization over the subject of this thread that is going round nowadays it was great to see that even with all the strong feelings and opinions that the respect I always saw in this community still exists.

I thank you all.

Kerry
Old 11-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Long but a good watch.
https://www.ute.com/video/AWrxbWYaarw1/
Censored. And I am not surprised.

Last edited by SC/397 : 11-09-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know that it matters, but let's be fair here, Marc, you have downplayed it in this very post and elsewhere in this thread. And from your perspective I suppose it is valid to do so, that you don't consider it an emergency. But even after a member here talked about his own first-hand account with hospital over-crowding, you're still focused on how the media has over-hyped that issue, so I don't know what will convince you of the urgency.
That's true and you are right. With that, I owe Mr. Goldhammer an apology for being a jerk.
Quote:

To my mind, what the Jacobson decision settled is that personal liberty is not absolute, that there can be consequences for denying a vaccine in some cases, and it didn't limit the consequences to a five-buck fine. I get that you disagree with the consequences, but that's someone else's call (Navy brass?) and whether or not you or anyone else has the right to deny the shot and keep their job would be up to a court to decide.

Justice Harlan in Jacobson:
“But the liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States to every person within its jurisdiction does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint. There are manifold restraints to which every person is necessarily subject for the common good.”
VERY true! This is what one of the lawyers in one of our groups is arguing (I say "our" meaning the group of us holdouts that have hired lawyers, and signed on with other group's lawyers/suits). They (the lawyers) are arguing that the severity of this outbreak is vastly exaggerated when compared to the Jacobsen case and the consequences are also vastly exaggerated. I guess a judge will have to decide.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:32 PM

Rang....no apology needed, or accepted. We all have our passions, beliefs and opinions I know that and accept it for what it is.
At the end of the day, we have one thing in common, and that's what draws us to this site.

Besides, in my 68+ years, my hide has gotten a little thicker.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Last edited by goldhammer : 11-12-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:46 AM
350 Buick

Hasn't 30,000 people on average lost their lives to the influenza virus each year in th US? 30,000 a year for years. And only now we're upset about people not getting a shot? Were all those flu deaths not as impprtant as these covd deaths?
The rate of covid deaths is on par with what the flu death rate has been for a long time....... and we never had any mandates, closures, lockdowns or any of it before. And noone cared. We even battled the Sars virus (whicjh is what covid is basically) almost 20 years ago and got thru it.
I just wonder why all the fuss now?

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:45 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

How many excess death due to covid... the data speak for themselves: looking at the graphs for the last 6 years from 2015.

The real sad story is the political turn of the pandemic... the clash between science and politics/ The politicians trying to cling to power, wealth and benefits coming from the connections of the elected office.

Regardless of the parties we have seen the abuse tied to idiotic construction projects: the bridge to nowhere and for our state the bullet train being done between Fresno and Bakersfield ...

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 11-13-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadin'
Hasn't 30,000 people on average lost their lives to the influenza virus each year in th US? 30,000 a year for years. And only now we're upset about people not getting a shot? Were all those flu deaths not as impprtant as these covd deaths?
The rate of covid deaths is on par with what the flu death rate has been for a long time....... and we never had any mandates, closures, lockdowns or any of it before. And noone cared. We even battled the Sars virus (whicjh is what covid is basically) almost 20 years ago and got thru it.
I just wonder why all the fuss now?

When covid was running like wildfire, we were losing that many or more per month, not in a year. Granted,a lot of those had underlying conditions, and covid pushed it over the edge.
In a year and a half or so, we have had well over 500,000 deaths attributed to it, and not only just the elderly. There are plenty of the 20-40 year age group going down as well, especially with Delta as the primary strain right now. It is even taking young kids, granted not as many as other age groups.