International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 08-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Gettin' political in CA (for CA Residents only)

I have officially been snagged into following CA politics and am pretty fired up about this. I wouldn't normally post something so political on IFSJA but we are quickly losing freedoms and I am hoping some of you other CA residents can step in, too. For the record (you will see this in my statement below, also) I am not "against" or "anti" vaccine. I am against the government taking the choice away from me. I also have never really known how to get involved. I am learning and passing some info to those who may also want to get involved.

A quick definition (and why I am ):
Gut-and-amend: When amendments to a bill remove the current contents in their entirety and replace them with different provisions.
This is a real thing, legal, and is happening right now in the CA state legislature. I cut and pasted that definition from our CA State Legislature website, check it out:
here
What this does is bypass a ton of process, committees, etc. The legislature is trying to get these 2 bills passed before the recall election.

Next, two bills that have just been gutted and amended:
AB455: The original bill, was supposed to regulate traffic lanes on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. The new draft replaces the toll provisions with language that would allow private employers to fire employees if they refuse to get a COVID-19 vaccine and also requires folks to show proof of vaccination to enter any public space (except churches and grocery stores)
Read it here if you do not believe me. Read section 2. Tell me how any of this has anything to do with tolls on the Oakland Bay Bridge and why is it added to this bill?

"Notwithstanding any other law, an establishment, ...shall require each person who is eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, who seeks to enter the indoor facilities ... to show proof to an employee ... of the establishment that the person has been vaccinated against COVID-19."
It then defines an establishment as:
"(A) Any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment that provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building that does not contain more than five rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of that establishment as the proprietor’s residence.
(B) Any restaurant, bar, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food or beverages for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment or gasoline station.
(C) Any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium, gym, spa, or other place of exhibition or entertainment.
(D) Any establishment that is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this paragraph.
It also says:
“Proof” means valid documentation of the person’s COVID-19 vaccination record, which may be their vaccine card or a copy or a digital version thereof, as provided by their health care provider, the State Department of Public Health, or another state or federal agency.
(3) “Vaccinated against COVID-19” means that the person is fully vaccinated
against COVID-19 by a vaccine authorized by the United States Food and Drug Administration or the World Health Organization.

Next bill that has been gutted and amended:
AB1102: the original bill was introduced as a “telephone medical advice services” bill in February. It would now allow employers in California to require COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. What's just as sneaky as gut and amend is, this text is not being shared. Why?

What I did and am asking you to do also (do it ASAP because we are running out of time):
Found my state legislature reps here:
http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
Then on their website, I went to the "Contact me" and filled out the form. Here is what I wrote on mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
OPPOSE AB455 and AB1102;
Assemblymember XXXX,
I vehemently oppose AB455 and AB1102 for 2 reasons and request you oppose them as well.
1) I have never been one to get involved in or follow politics but the gut-and-amend tactic used on these two bills is abhorrent to me. As a veteran I deployed twice to protect the freedoms of this country including the way our government runs. The idea that a bill can be stolen mid-process, completely rewritten, and then forced into enactment is absolutely wrong, dishonest, and sneaky. Many politicians have the reputation of being dirty lying scum bags: this tactic is one of the reasons why. OPPOSE THESE BILLS FOR THE DIRTY TACTICS USED TO PUSH THEM THROUGH.
2) I am an American veteran citizen that deployed twice for, among other things, the ability to choose what I do to my body. If I want a Tattoo, the state should not care. If I want to smoke a cigarette, the government should not care nor be involved. If I do not want do either of these, the government should not care. Both of those are FDA approved, by the way. Why is the government trying to FORCE my family to get a vaccine that has just as many (if not more) consequences than the virus it's supposed to protect us from? To be clear, I AM NOT AGAINST THE VACCINE; I am against the government getting involved in my choice to get the vaccine or not.
The suicide rate in CA teens is through the roof because of school shutdowns, loss of hope, etc. Forcing teens to get vaccines that may cause long term fertility problems, birth defects, etc. does not make sense. According to the CDC (as of today) 385 kids total under the age of 18 have died with COVID in all the USA. Again, 18 months of dealing with COVID, 385 kids in ALL the USA have died with COVID. Common sense will tell you more than that have died of suicide or attempted suicide in the last 18 months. OPPOSE THESE BILLS BECAUSE THE CONTENT ADDED TO THEM IS WRONG AND COUNTER PRODUCTIVE.
V/R
My Name
Camarillo CA
###-###-#### (Cell)
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 08-28-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:12 PM
out of order

Here is a site that automates opposition process.

https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl....promo_id=13881
Old 08-29-2021, 08:50 AM
327 Rambler

I recall seeing a documentary a few years back that stated (back then) that roughly 70% of CA legislation wasn't even created by the actual legislators, it was created by the businesses that would profit from such legislation, and their lobbying arms would submit it and pressure the idiots to vote for it. The entire state's political system makes zero sense anymore, not unlike our Federal goobermint nowadays.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 08-31-2021, 03:49 PM
350 Buick

I think the biggest problem across the country is not enough people get involved, which lets politicians run wild (in BOTH parties). But it amazes me what happens in California, New York, and Oregon when I am used to a relatively "free" state like Tennessee.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:59 PM
350 Buick

Sorry - I didn't see the "CA residents only." I am a former CA resident (Alameda) so I hope I will be given a pass.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:14 PM
258 I6

This is why so many of us have left or are leaving. Communism sucks!!!

"Well I've been down so God damn long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis (but Doors version)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:06 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Very interesting facts... this is how our elected officials at the state and fed level work, the lobbies are writing the laws because they paid they way to the legislators...
As for the vax... if everyone had been vaccinated we could -or may- have avoided the delta variant... and the next few ones coming along for many years, but at least avoided the catastrophic toll on the people and the country!

Polio, pertussis tetanus and other vaccines are accepted, this covid has turn so political for no reason but voter's approval. In a sense the GOP is killing their supporters.

The democratic party is not too brilliant on some of its choices either!

If people are so upset about their freedom of choice or constitutional rights, time to throw away the smart phones and the computers which are riddled with cookies, also dump the credit cards which track all your financial activities, then get rid of your smart meter and go off the grid. The traffic and security cameras are still tracking your whereabouts.
At least we hope to live together in peace.

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 09-01-2021, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Here is a site that automates opposition process.

https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl....promo_id=13881
Awesome. Much easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
I recall seeing a documentary a few years back that stated (back then) that roughly 70% of CA legislation wasn't even created by the actual legislators, it was created by the businesses that would profit from such legislation, and their lobbying arms would submit it and pressure the idiots to vote for it. The entire state's political system makes zero sense anymore, not unlike our Federal goobermint nowadays.
I read something a long those lines in the last week, too. "Everyone" knows that a "special interest" is bad, but if you ask people what a "special interest" is, you get a lot of blank stares. Or they roll off the ones that are typically thought of as really bad: Big Tobacco, Big Oil, Big Pharma. There are some good special interests out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff
I think the biggest problem across the country is not enough people get involved, which lets politicians run wild (in BOTH parties). But it amazes me what happens in California, New York, and Oregon when I am used to a relatively "free" state like Tennessee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff
Sorry - I didn't see the "CA residents only." I am a former CA resident (Alameda) so I hope I will be given a pass.
I'll admit I am one of those that does not get involved. I have ALWAYS voted and that was the extent of involvement for me but it's getting really bad really fast here.
No apology needed. Formal Alameda resident? Are you ex-Navy or USCG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehwy
This is why so many of us have left or are leaving. Communism sucks!!!
Facts
Quote:
Originally Posted by letank
Very interesting facts... this is how our elected officials at the state and fed level work, the lobbies are writing the laws because they paid they way to the legislators...
As for the vax... if everyone had been vaccinated we could -or may- have avoided the delta variant... and the next few ones coming along for many years, but at least avoided the catastrophic toll on the people and the country!

Polio, pertussis tetanus and other vaccines are accepted, this covid has turn so political for no reason but voter's approval. In a sense the GOP is killing their supporters.

The democratic party is not too brilliant on some of its choices either!

If people are so upset about their freedom of choice or constitutional rights, time to throw away the smart phones and the computers which are riddled with cookies, also dump the credit cards which track all your financial activities, then get rid of your smart meter and go off the grid. The traffic and security cameras are still tracking your whereabouts.
At least we hope to live together in peace.
I am totally behind you! A bunch of knuckleheads running this place.
But don't miss the forest through the trees; again, I am not for or against the vaccine here. I am pissed they are telling me that if we do not do their bidding, we cannot go to a movie, coffee shop, hotel, VOTE IN PERSON, library, McParts, work, etc.

The timing is so blatant to me, too. "Recall election in 2 weeks? Most folks that are unvaccinated are voting to recall? Let's make it so you can't vote in person without proof of vaccine! Quick, grab a couple bills, that are completely unrelated, gut them, change them 100%, and force a quick vote under the RADAR when no one is looking! Oh, don't change the title of the bill either. That way most people will think we are really just voting on a telemedicine bill! Bwwahahahahahaha!"

This will absolutely set a precedent. Something like this:
Teenage pregnancy is really filling up our neonatal wards. From now on, in order for a teenage boy or girl to go to school they must show proof they are taking birth control or they cannot go to school, movies, food, buy a car, or get a job.
or
We don't have the resources to continue caring for all the special needs children, so from now on, if a woman is pregnant and the child has any abnormalities detected during pregnancy that may cause it to need "special care" it must be aborted or that parent will be denied access to any other health care for her or the baby.
or
anyone who tests positive for a gene that shows a genetic pre-disposition for testicular cancer, must have their balls cut off before cancer forms or they will lose all access to any form of cancer treatment.

I get why people are taking the experimental COVID vaccines. We should all 100% have that option. It should not be denied to anyone. I think it's awesome the government makes it free and it is absolutely astounding how fast it was created and made available. BUT, it should not be forced on ANYONE. That's why I am fired up. I don't see it as Conservative vs. Liberal, or Republican Vs. Democrat, or even vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. I see it as American Liberty vs. Government control. My body is my temple; if there is one place the government should not have any authority, it's what I do with my body.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:53 AM
258 I6

Very well said. And what better analogy of missing the forest through the trees...

"Well I've been down so God damn long! and it looks like up to me..." Furry Lewis (but Doors version)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:35 PM
350 Buick

My time in Alameda was high school, my Dad was USN and stationed at Treasure Island. I myself am prior USN (13 yrs) and USCG (7 yrs).

His office was in the old Pan Am Airlines clipper building. Cool history! The control tower was still there and one floor up from his office.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:15 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:

I am totally behind you! A bunch of knuckleheads running this place.

Unfortunately yes... best example: the DMV is a mess, in fact no matter blue or red for the other state that I have experienced... FL! It is a common laughing stock no matter which states are mentioned in any forum.

We can mention the Oakland Bay Bridge delay$$$

Quote:
This will absolutely set a precedent. Something like this:
Teenage pregnancy is really filling up our neonatal wards. From now on, in order for a teenage boy or girl to go to school they must show proof they are taking birth control or they cannot go to school, movies, food, buy a car, or get a job.

One way to control unwanted children ... Men's pill is on the way... no more calls such as: ... hey... you remember me, that fling we had 7 years ago... I need child support... call my counsel!

Quote:
We don't have the resources to continue caring for all the special needs children, so from now on, if a woman is pregnant and the child has any abnormalities detected during pregnancy that may cause it to need "special care" it must be aborted or that parent will be denied access to any other health care for her or the baby.
or
anyone who tests positive for a gene that shows a genetic pre-disposition for testicular cancer, must have their balls cut off before cancer forms or they will lose all access to any form of cancer treatment.

Eugenics, a topic brought by the Nazi... I think is has been shoved away... But resources could be shrinking as in : not enough tax revenue... remember the great education system we had... the nice state park facilities.... I remember state park camp sites with hot shower and heated rest room

Quote:
I get why people are taking the experimental COVID vaccines. We should all 100% have that option. It should not be denied to anyone. I think it's awesome the government makes it free

FREE, not really we are all paying for it ... and some insiders are reaping mega, mega profits!

Quote:
it should not be forced on ANYONE. That's why I am fired up. I don't see it as Conservative vs. Liberal, or Republican Vs. Democrat, or even vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. I see it as American Liberty vs. Government control. My body is my temple; if there is one place the government should not have any authority, it's what I do with my body.

I see the points... but how do we control the spread of the pandemy?

Old 09-01-2021, 11:15 PM
232 I6

Michel, eugenics? I know you are not serious.

"how do we control the spread of the pandemy?"
The hospitals and morgues are full of anti-vaxer's this year.

"My body is my temple; if there is one place the government should not have any authority, it's what I do with my body".
Many women have been saying that for over 50 years.

I better shut up now.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 09-02-2021, 12:40 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonphil
Michel, eugenics? I know you are not serious.

I guess, I am from an older age group, exposed to a longer succession of historical events that we wished had never happened.

eugenics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

Old 09-02-2021, 01:14 PM
232 I6

"I guess, I am from an older age group, exposed to a longer succession of historical events that we wished had never happened."

X2, I am 70. Originally from SoCal.

More and more people struggling for fewer and fewer resources. It's going to get harder.

In the meantime, I'll just try to keep my Jeep running, along with my friends here.

And still rockin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pExfdcEJ5aw

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH

Last edited by oregonphil : 09-02-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:33 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
I get why people are taking the experimental COVID vaccines.

I find the slippery slope logic and the mischaracterization of liberal policies in this thread wild but this experimental vaccine BS needs to stop. It's new technology. It was experimental in the development phase back in like 2008 but now it is proven. The base technology has been worked on for 20-ish years and they were able to roll out the vaccines so quickly because the technology is adaptable and they had an enormously large group of people to trial them on. Yes, they were approved under emergency use but that still requires studies and data to prove that they aren't killing people and now at least some of them are fully FDA approved (I haven't been keeping up completely with that aspect so they may all be).

At this point we've vaccinated what, 100 million 150 million people in this country alone. The fallout from the J&J was a handful of women (like a literal handful) developed bloodclots (a significantly lower rate than simply taking birth control). The AZ shot also had bloodclot issues but that rate was determined not to be higher than naturally occurring ones.

Jesus f**king christ, we eradicated smallpox from the globe with vaccines. They're the solution to this problem.

People say "my body my choice" but when a person's choice to not get vaccinated can cause someone else to have long-term health issues or die you no longer get to call it "my body." (I'm not specifically calling you out Rang, more a general statement)
Old 09-03-2021, 12:08 AM
232 I6

Miner, 100% truth.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 09-03-2021, 09:16 AM
out of order

Actually if you dig there is data that shows these vaccines can be dangerous and even deadly.
No way, no how, should it be mandated especially for kiddos.

Excluding foreign reports filed in VAERS, 451,049 adverse events, including 5,859 deaths and 36,871 serious injuries, were reported in the U.S. Of the 5,859 U.S. deaths reported as of Aug. 6, 13% occurred within 24 hours of vaccination, 19% occurred within 48 hours of vaccination and 33% occurred in people who experienced an onset of symptoms within 48 hours of being vaccinated.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/d...nocompromised/

I am NOT anti-vax or anti-science, but the truth is being ignored.
There is absolutely zero long term data on these vaccines and initial data is scary at best.
There are studies showing long term protection after getting covid and yet they are pushing people who had covid to get vaccinated.
Also studies showing poor protection against variants, so now they're pushing booster shots. Against advice of FDA and science/scientists.

Take shots your choice(or not) but this agenda of mandates is ridiculous.

Last edited by babywag : 09-03-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:25 AM
327 Rambler

What I don't get is that unless you're 70+ and/or have underlying exasperating conditions, you're essentially catching a flu virus that's merely inconvenient. I've had variations of it twice now. First time in mid-March last year with the whole loss of taste and smell, headache, etc, prior to testing being available. Had to have caught it grocery shopping, as I went nowhere else. And I was masked.

Second time was 2 weeks after having a foot of colon removed in mid-November, same effects, but with added sore throat. 54yr old wife and 22yr old son both tested positive (her just months after a hip replacement and femur break), yet I tested negative with exact same symptoms. So obviously the testing being only 70% accurate caused the erroneous result there for me. I never even left the house to catch that one (I was still convalescing at home post-surgery), and the wife & son merely went grocery shopping to catch it, being fully masked of course.

I know of ONE guy personally (or thru anyone else I know) that caught it and died of complications (pneumonia), though he was close to 70 and had COPD, among some other issues prior to catching it. He was fully masked at all times. His family never caught it, had no clue where he caught it.

Children have like a 99.97% survival rate, me being 50 not much less than that. The masks, the shut-downs, the eventual crashing of the economy, could've all been prevented if REAL science was followed in the first place. The scare tactics, the mask wearing in cars, the pressure to get "vaccine'd" are all fear and control driven. In the Boise area I never even see people wearing masks anymore, except at the hospital. Most of my coworkers and friends got it and had no issues other than the typical symptoms.

I may have told the story here already, but in case I didn't, my son went back down to the Sunnyvale area during the outbreak last summer, and was walking with his friends on a bike path, all fully masked of course. They saw a masked guy at the bottom of a freeway overpass path, looked like he was waiting for his masked friend that was still walking on the overpass toward him. Overpass guy got down to where the waiting guy was, waiting guy then gave him a very wide berth before stepping foot on the same overpass and going the opposite direction. My son and his friends just laughed at that one. Covid isn't ebola, it's a flu bug. Sure it's likely man-made, but it's still just a flu bug.

Do I believe it's real? Sure. Do I believe it's as big a deal as the media makes it out to be? Not even close. I used my own experience and that of everyone else I know to decide how best to approach it.

Back to CA, I LOL'd when I read this one:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...fits-prisoners

CA is so screwed up, it's no wonder so many people are trying to escape it now. Sure explains the housing bubble we have up here now. Something like a 76% rise on values in just 2 years. Not normal at all, and sure to crash soon. I'm so glad we moved out, I was tired of getting taxed to death, and had nothing to show for it besides constant stress of living paycheck to paycheck, even with my wife and I making over $120k a year. Housing, gas, insurances, and food are the main causes there.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877
Old 09-03-2021, 10:40 AM
258 I6

Boy howdy! Thanks for that, Rob.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:58 AM
Administrator

I take no offense to anything written in here and actually appreciate the dialog!

Good point letank, you are totally right, we are all paying for it and folks are amassing huge profits.

The definition for a vaccine has been "a suspension of weakened, killed, or fragmented microorganisms or toxins or of antibodies or lymphocytes that is administered primarily toprevent disease." for a long time. It did change this year because of mRNA.
CDC Director Rochelle Walensky stated the vaccine does not prevent COVID-19 infection, nor does it stop the vaccinated person from transmitting the infection or the delta variant.

On 14 July HMS Queen Elizabeth was underway and had a COVID break out. 100% of her crew was vaccinated.

On 14 August, Carnival Vista was underway and had a COVID break out. 100% of her crew and passengers were vaccinated.

I know of, personally, 4 people that took the vaccine and had gnarly reactions. 3 of them are under 40 and now have to take medication for heart problems for the rest of their lives. The 4th is 17 and has neurological problems (his mom's words). The number of adverse reactions documented on VAERs is ridiculously higher than even the second highest reaction rate, per dose. My wife went through VAERs a few weeks ago with me but I do not remember how to get in so I have no specifics. If someone does have it, feel free to post.

As of today, on the CDCs website (data from 02 Sept, 21)
-There have been 31,349,273 cases in the US and 530,922 deaths. If you divide that out, that's a 98.3% survival for all the US, which is similar to a gnarly flu season.
-However, 305,219 of those deaths are folks over 75. In fact, 30% of all COVID deaths are people 85 and older yet they only account for 2.1% of all COVID cases. COVID is VERY deadly for the elderly.
-If you subtract those 75 and older: there are 225,652 deaths divided by 29,230,608 cases for 99.993% survival rate. The younger you go, the more survivable it is. In my case (I am 44), there are 16,990 deaths attributed to COVID for 40-49yo, and 4,565,870 cases for a survival rate of 99.996%.

The FDA letter for the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine specifically says that it is still in trials. Yes it's approved but it is still in trials. Also note Cigarettes are FDA approved so their letter does not mean much to me.

So, here is how I see the whole COVID thing. As Rahm Emanuel once said: never let a serious crisis go to waste. It is political because both sides want it to be political. If I take the politics out I see a virus that is all but completely survivable for the vast majority of the population, yet we are being told to take a "Vaccine" that doesn't do what a vaccine is supposed to do, with risks for serious potential side affects that are worse than the disease it it supposed to vaccinate us from. I said it before and I say it again, I am not anti-Vax. I think this vaccine is needed. But it still experimental (any treatment going through trials is experimental in my book), it should not be forced on anyone, and should be available to anyone.

If the vaccine is safe and does what it is supposed to do, then those of us who choose not to take it are the ones accepting the risk. To say that I MUST take the vaccine to prevent you from getting sick is self defeating because either we both don't have the vaccine and me getting you sick is because you did not get the vaccine either, or you did get the the vaccine and whether I have the vaccine or not is irrelevant to you.

Other outbreaks and vaccines are not really comparable because the viruses were so much more deadly. Polio for instance killed or maimed up to 20%. Smallpox killed close to 90% so in those cases, the side affects from the vaccine do not outweigh the disease they prevent. Personally, if I was over 75, I would have gotten the COVID vaccine a long time ago. If I had Leukemia, and/or heart disease, and/or diabetes, I would have gotten the vaccine a long time ago. But it does not make sense for me or my family to take it and to have the government force it on us is completely wrong. The same reason we have not wiped out influenza is the same reason we will not wipe out COVID.

As far as my body my choice, I stand by that statement. The abortion debate has long been well politized; it is nothing more than 2 sides yelling talking points at each other these days. Again, take the politics out and the real debate is "when does life begin?".