International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 PM

QT disaster averted

Was preparing to change out the QT fluid, checked the chain slack and got about 1.5" of slack!

Thankfully I have a spare QT unit (supposedly with a new chain) that I bought last summer sitting in a box. I pulled that out and checked the slack. maybe a 1/2". Hopefully it is one of the last Morse chains in there and not some piece of chinese crap.

So I can either pull the chain out of my back-up and install or do a complete case swap. That seems like overkill when I just need a new chain.

My question is that if I'm already under there unbolting driveshafts and reduction units how much bigger of a job is the whole swap?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Grease Monkey

The whole thing just about pops right out. The most time consuming part of the whole thing is unbolting the front driveshaft from the t case. You will need a new gasket and I strongly recommend replacing the two seals in the t case input. To remove, after the 4 bolts are removed, rotate the reduction side down and slide it backwards. Opposite to reinstall. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Grease Monkey

I've never tried swapping the chain while the transfer case was still in the truck, but I would guess it would be easier to just pull off the rear cover and do it while it was installed.

To pull the whole case you'll have to remove the cross member and support the transmission. Additionally you'll need to separate the case from the transmission adapter and you could easily nick the inner seals.

I just got done pulling/installing my quadratac. I used threaded rod to get the proper alignment of the transfer case to the adapter and to help support the case while sliding it in. On my truck it was a tight squeeze and took some effort to align it without nicking the inner seals. I used ATF RTV to seal the transfer case to the adapter and haven't had a leak yet. (The thin paper gasket that you get with the seal kit is useless and most people cut a new one from thicker material.)

If I were in your shoes, I would try replacing the chain while the transfer case was in the truck. (Of course I'm speaking from no experience on this swap.)

Others who have done the in-truck chain swap may shed more insight.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM

The chain and sprockets are a bit unwieldy to try and align and shove into place under the truck, IMHO. I'd just remove the low range and then remove the whole case. I can bench press a QT without low range. The NP229, however, is too heavy to do that.

You might want to go through your spare case if you haven't had it open before.

Or remove your current t-case and just swap the chain on the workbench.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Dragin Az

I would do the whole case, if the other has a new chain, then it should be sealed and ready to run. Just swap and go.

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Well I ordered the $20 rebuild gasket set from BJ's. I'm going to attempt to keep the case attached and just swap chains. I would rather stick with the one that is on there (the devil you know and all that), the E drive works and I haven't had any problems with it so far... knocking on wood.

While I was poking around under there I did notice one of the transfer case to tranny mounting bolts is missing so I might end up pulling the whole thing anyway. at least it's a light case, thank god for aluminum!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Grease Monkey

make sure you order 3 quarts of the super goo (tlc1 or whatever that stuff is called)