International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Year of Manufacture Plates (YOM)

Has anyone else thought of doing it or done it?
I found this website: http://www.turnerplates.com/index.html
They carry original plates and was thinking about putting YOM plates on my '71 J4600.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 AM

Not many to choose from for some states, I hit up my local flea-market and found 3 sets of 1974 plates in great condition for 30 bucks so that may be an option for some.

When mine is completed I'll have magnets on the back so I can stick them over the stock plates for shows.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick8706
Not many to choose from for some states, I hit up my local flea-market and found 3 sets of 1974 plates in great condition for 30 bucks so that may be an option for some.

When mine is completed I'll have magnets on the back so I can stick them over the stock plates for shows.
Well here in TX we have the option of registering our classics with the YOM plates and they have 2 sets of '71 truck plates. So then I won't need magnets
I don't know how other states registration works. Just a thought for those that have thought about doing it
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Not to sure on Ohio regs, It would be nice if we could compile a list of which states you can and the requirement to do so.

The last I heard in Ohio you can as long as you keep the new plates in the vehicle with you but haven't confirmed
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick8706
Not to sure on Ohio regs, It would be nice if we could compile a list of which states you can and the requirement to do so.

The last I heard in Ohio you can as long as you keep the new plates in the vehicle with you but haven't confirmed
Yeah it would be nice to have a list
I bet a bunch of FSJers would love to have the original year plates on there rides.
I'll try to do some research to see if I can find a list or try to make my own
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 AM

I found this on the same website:
http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM%20Index.html
Just scroll down and click your state to find out if you can register and/or display YOM plates
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 AM

Ohio Regs for YOM Plates

Read highlighted links for more info

General Information

Purpose is to allow owners of historical vehicles to use Ohio plates for the same year as their vehicle was manufactured. (More information)
Registrant Eligibility
May be issued to any Ohio motorist
Title RequirementsOhio Certificate of Title issued in individual's name, either singly or jointly, or the name is the same name on the lease agreement. Vehicle Information
These plates may be used on any vehicle.
Type of Plates
Registrant provides his/her own plates which must be serviceable and legible and issued by Ohio and inscribed with the same year when the vehicle was manufactured.
Issuance Information
Applicant must complete BMV Form 4806 (Affidavit For Registration) and BMV Form 4853 (Historical "Model-Year" Plate Information) and submit a copy of the model year plate(s).
Cost
The fee is determined by Ohio Revised Code section 4503.181.

Fees
New
Renewal
Transfer Fee$1.00$0.00Deputy Fee $3.50$0.00Postage*current rate current rate
No postage is required if renewed at Deputy Registrar.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 AM
FSJ Maniac

my dad met a guy at a swap meet and he made 3 sets for my dad. 51 chev pickup, 59 chev pickup and the 65 stingray. iirc it was about a $100 a set and the were hand painted. SO worth it!

you just keep the regular plates under the seat.

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
-1994 Baby Grand
-2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
-1953 REO M35A2 6x6
-1955 Willys Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywagoneers_com
i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Master Mechanic

Exclamation There are Reproduction Tags also

You can buy a brand new set of tag reproductions. Those Turner california tags were cheap. People pay $600-900 for original YOM tags for California, must have 2 tags in good shape.

I bought a single tag for California 1947 Truck. Cheap because it was very bad shape and a single tag only. Sent them off to the repo man, got 2 brand spankin' new tags. You are not allowed to do that, they must be original and DMV cleared.

In texas the first thing they do is clip a magnet on the tag....guess what! My inexpensive perfectly illegal tags are aluminum! Oh well, I live in Tennessee and they look good for shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe
my dad met a guy at a swap meet and he made 3 sets for my dad. 51 chev pickup, 59 chev pickup and the 65 stingray. iirc it was about a $100 a set and the were hand painted. SO worth it!

you just keep the regular plates under the seat.
Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 AM

SC YOM Plates

SC allows for registering year of manufacture plates as your legal full time plate. I have year of manufacture plates on my '76 Wagoneer and my '74 VW Thing. Got one set on ebay and the other set here:

http://www.scplates.com/for-sale/scforsale

(good selection for anyone who happens to be in SC)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 AM

FL allows it I am pretty sure..but the 1980 one isn't that much different looking than the current one so I figured the blue antique tag would stick out much better
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM
FSJ Maniac

I scored a set of IL YOM plates for my '89 off ebay. They were new in the plastic wrap. I have to wait 2 years before I can use them - it has to be 25 years old here.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel
I scored a set of IL YOM plates for my '89 off ebay. They were new in the plastic wrap. I have to wait 2 years before I can use them - it has to be 25 years old here.

It's odd they let us do that. I noticed above Ohio says they have to be Ohio plates. Illinois just says "Historical license plates, representing the model year."

I took a car out the other day with a YOM Florida plate. I have two IL friends that have been driving with YOM California plates for a few years. I guess if it's not registered to the car anyway, what does it matter?

89 Grand Wagoneer: White/Cordovan. Factory tow package. Gradually undoing PO's mods - it seemed like a nice build at the time.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM
232 I6

YOM plates in California

Thanks to our Governator "Ahnold" we here in California can utilize the old black or blue plates depending on the year of your rig. The trick is to make sure you have the correct plate for your vehicle. The first year for the black plates in CA was 1963 and started with AAA 000 and in 69 they ended with ZZZ 999. In 1970 they went to the blue plate with the yellow lettering.

If any of you guys have ever seen the FIRST road test for the 63 wagoneer you'll see the plates are the REALLY old yellow with black lettering plates (before black with yellow lettering plates) indicating the first wagoneer was licensed in 62 and it had a "Y" prefix indicating it was a late 62 plate. The wagoneer was sourced from a so California dealer in the San Fernando Valley and was taken out to the desert and worked pretty hard for the article.

Here is a pic from that original article as well as a pic of my Wagoneer with the black california plates

1963 Wagoneer 230/BW Auto
1965 Riviera Gran Sport 425 2x4bbl
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Master Mechanic

I really miss California!

My 47's are school bus yellow with black numbers/letters. Nowadays folks are paying bug bucks for those dealership plate frames. You could have $1000 in vintage tags and regalia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlBraun
Thanks to our Governator "Ahnold" we here in California can utilize the old black or blue plates depending on the year of your rig. The trick is to make sure you have the correct plate for your vehicle. The first year for the black plates in CA was 1963 and started with AAA 000 and in 69 they ended with ZZZ 999. In 1970 they went to the blue plate with the yellow lettering.

If any of you guys have ever seen the FIRST road test for the 63 wagoneer you'll see the plates are the REALLY old yellow with black lettering plates (before black with yellow lettering plates) indicating the first wagoneer was licensed in 62 and it had a "Y" prefix indicating it was a late 62 plate. The wagoneer was sourced from a so California dealer in the San Fernando Valley and was taken out to the desert and worked pretty hard for the article.

Here is a pic from that original article as well as a pic of my Wagoneer with the black california plates

Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150
Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM Woody
It's odd they let us do that. I noticed above Ohio says they have to be Ohio plates. Illinois just says "Historical license plates, representing the model year."

I took a car out the other day with a YOM Florida plate. I have two IL friends that have been driving with YOM California plates for a few years. I guess if it's not registered to the car anyway, what does it matter?

Yeah, IL also states you must carry your registered regular antique plates in the vehicle in case you get pulled over.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 AM
232 I6

Illinois Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel
Yeah, IL also states you must carry your registered regular antique plates in the vehicle in case you get pulled over.

Thats what originally got Blago into the trouble he's in now...

1963 Wagoneer 230/BW Auto
1965 Riviera Gran Sport 425 2x4bbl