International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-24-2006, 04:54 PM

Question Why Dont I Have Four Wheel Drive?

79 Wagoneer Limited, q/t with reduction unit, part time hubs. I finally moved to an area where I can use the four wheel drive but after trying to use the jeep to pull my work van out of a tiny mudpit in front yard and it doing nothing but digging one big hole with the rear wheel I started to inspect the drive train and it seems as the front driveshaft has no power. As I understand it the q/t is a full time case so as soon as i lock in the hubs I should have four wheel right? If more traction is needed I can turn the e drive to lock front and rear drive shafts right? There is no odd noises coming from the tcase or tranny the hubs turn freely and smoothly and the edrive engages ( can hear a click) and the light comes on. I am really bummed as the snow season is here and no four wheel. I got desperate the other day and raised the rear wheels and engaged the edrive to see if the front had any power to move the car but it just spun the rear wheels and no sound or action from the front driveline or tcase. If i lock the front hubs i can turn the driveshaft by hand for about 1/2 turn then there is a click and everthings seems locked and ready to go but after testing it at the local gravel pit there is no power to the front wheels. What else should I check or is there some internal damage that needs to be fixed? Any quick replies would be appreciated as I am without internet and at the library. Thanks alot all past help has been valuable and greatly appreciated.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
Old 11-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Propane Protagonist

I'm not going to get deep into the mechanical workings of the Qtrac but Flint has an awesome write up on them. But...

You should have a part time kit if you have locking hubs.

EDITED because I read "quick replies appriciated" and so I replied before I really read the whole post. haha.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Last edited by FSJ Thing : 11-24-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Sloppy Shifter

With a Part time Kit installed, the procedure for engaging 4 wheel drive would be to lock the hubs and then turning the e-Drive knob to the e-drive position. Since you are getting a light on the dash coming on, it sounds like the Vacum actuator for the 4x4 may not be pushing the shift fork far enough to engage the front ouput. I would be checking the vac supply, make sure there is vac at the T-Case, Check that the vac actuator is moving freely, check shift fork wear pads, after that it will move into the lock coupler. Most of this is going to suck, because you will for the most part have to take things apart
Old 11-24-2006, 05:02 PM

Nope like I said in the post after engaging the e drive And raising the rear wheels it still wouldnt budge. Will the edrive light up even if its not engaged?

Old 11-24-2006, 05:04 PM

Didnt see that last post will poke aroun some more but keep the suggestions coming.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homers
Nope like I said in the post after engaging the e drive And raising the rear wheels it still wouldnt budge. Will the edrive light up even if its not engaged?
Yes it is possible for the e-drive light to come on and yet not actually engage 4x4. What I have found when that happens is a bad shift fork.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:50 PM

the other question i have is with the part time kit, I need to engage the edrive to have four wheel. Does this mean that the drivelines are locked together when in four wheel without the benefit of full time four wheel with open differential such as in a waggy without the part time kit? According to the TSM that I was given the q/t is fully differentiated , allowing full time four wheel on all surfaces, and engaging the edrive locks the tcase and drivelines for better traction. So do I have fully locked four wheel all the time without the benefit of an open diff or do I have an open case without the ability to be locked together?

Old 11-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Sloppy Shifter

Part time Kit is an aftermarket Kit. With it installed your Q-Trac is no longer a full time T-Case it is 100% Part time. You would need to lock your hubs and turn the knob in the glove box to get 4x4. I am assuming that a part time kit has been installed, because if it was a stock Q-Trac and someone had installed locking hubs and ran them in the free position you would have a trashed it by now. Full Time T-Cases can't be run with locking hubs in the free position without damage
Old 11-24-2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks for that. So then the case is locked right?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
Thanks for that. So then the case is locked right?

Not sure I do understand your question.........Locked? No its not locked, if it was you would be in 4x4, it will only lock the front and rear outputs when in E-Drive
Old 11-24-2006, 06:17 PM

I mean looking at the TSM and reading the description of the q/t , if it dosent have the part time kit, when the edrive is activated it locks (in the tcase) the front and rear drive shafts together for added traction. If I need to engage the edrive just to get four wheel are the driveshafts locked together or is the edrive simply engaging the front driveline and not locking up with the rear ? Also whats the best way to lube the edrive to see if that will help it engage?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Sloppy Shifter

Pretty sure you have a Part Time Kit in it, since you have been driving it all this time with the front hubs unlocked. If you did not have a part time Kit in it, you would have stopped moving long ago. With that being said, what the TSM has to say about the Q-Trac will not apply to a Q-Trac with a part time kit in it.

A stock Q-Trac will send power to both front and rear axle, via a Clutch setup similar to a Limited Slip diff. Engaging E-Drive will lock the two outputs together so there is no slipping between the front and rear output.

With the Part Time Kit, your front output on the T-Case is not engaged in anyway, untill the knob is turned to e-drive, then it engages with the rear output, and it is a solid lock, no clutch, nothing in between the two.
When a part time kit is installed the actual limited Slip Diff part of the Q-Trac is removed and the Part Time unit is installed.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:31 PM

Thats what I needed to hear. Thanks for your patience. The TSM I have is awesome but mentions nothing about the part time kit. Is there a supplement that I should look for dealing with this? Also I have a rebuilt q/t that the previous owner gave me, would it be easier to swap this in and change the entire unit instead of poking around ?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Also just so I understand with my q/t my front and rear driveshafts are locked at the same speed with equal power going to the front and rear?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
Thats what I needed to hear. Thanks for your patience. The TSM I have is awesome but mentions nothing about the part time kit. Is there a supplement that I should look for dealing with this? Also I have a rebuilt q/t that the previous owner gave me, would it be easier to swap this in and change the entire unit instead of poking around ?

Depends on how much poking around you have to do, and what the problem is. If your replacement does not have a part time kit in it, then you would want to be sure to KEEP YOUR HUBS LOCKED at all times.

Quote:
Also just so I understand with my q/t my front and rear driveshafts are locked at the same speed with equal power going to the front and rear?
With a Part Time Kit and not in e-Drive with the Hubs unlocked your front drive shaft will not move at all, only the rear is powered.
With a Stock Q-Trac the front and rear driveshaft will both turn at the same speed, and will slip independantly from each other if turning a corner or wheel spin in poor traction, then they will slip to equal out the differance needed
Old 11-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Dragin Az

Wow, great discription. Thanks...

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer