International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 AM
327 Rambler

Wheel clearance

OK so this is a multi-part question. I went and got new(ish) tires put on the Wag. When I pulled out of the shop I noticed a ticking sound that increased with speed. I immediately took it back and they then noticed that the wheel weight was hitting on the tie rod end for the steering. (This was happening on the driver's side only. They took the wheel off and rebalanced the wheel using multiple smaller weights instead of one big one. This has me a little concerned. It is natural for the tie rod end to be that close to the wheel? I know it needs an alignment as the steering wheel always looks like I am turning left while driving straight down the road. As I am cheep and like to do as much as I can myself, is there anything I should inspect that may need replaced before I take it in for alignment? It doesn't seem to have any drive ability issues like wobble or vibration or pulling,aside from the constant left turn thing. (Insert nascar joke here)
This second part has to do with this issue. Wheel spacers. I have seen these mentioned here and there. My goal for the wag is I am hoping for 33" tires and as tall of lift as I can get with out the cost of drive shaft extension and high-steer. (cheap and on a budget)
Most of my off road will consist of mid-level trails with some flexing for ruts, hill climbing, and some river bed running in medium mud. No mud bogging.
Most of the time I will be on road. I am willing to cut fenders with an "elegant" solution for finishing off the fenders such as bushwacker flares or something maybe not so aggressive. My plan is not to make it pretty but functional and yet pleasant to look at on the street and in the driveway.
The two reasons I ask about the spacers are...
1. I want to go as wide of tire as I can on the stock wheel (I really like the look of the turbines)
2. I want to eliminate the potential of hitting the tie rod end.
Sorry for the long post and let me know if I will get better response separating these out a bit.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:01 AM

They must've put a HUGE @SS wheel weight on the inside!

I like the stick-on weights for the stock aluminum wheels. It keeps them looking nice.

The TRE distance to the wheel will not change with your alignment. Remember, the TRE is a rigid assembly with respect to the wheel. The two pieces move in sync with each other when moving left or right. Alignment is the relationship between the two DIFFERENT knuckles.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Grease Monkey

My 80 Wag has the same problem. The guys just found some of the older and thinner weights, the new ones are maybe 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick. I talked to the local 4X4 shop and they had dealt with this problem before.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Master Mechanic

Are you saying the only reason you want an alignment is because your steering wheel is not straight? If that is the case you can straighten the steering wheel yourself.

Get a wire brush and clean the threads on your alingment sleaves. One on each side.
Loosen the bolts on the sleeves.
Turn the drivers side x amonut of times. Count the turns you make and keep track.
Turn the other side the same amount of turns in the opposite way.
Check your steering wheel movement.
Repeat until your wheel is straight.

You are moving the tie rods but the distance from wheel to wheel remains the same. Your steering box however moves until the steering wheel is once again straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.

84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5
Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
327 Rambler

Well the main reason for the alignment is because the front tires were wearing more to the outside than all over.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM

sounds like you do need an alignment, but that has nothing to do with the weights hitting. that can't be helped with stock wheels.

Al