International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-11-2022, 07:28 PM
230 Tornado

Can't attach reduction unit to Borg Warner 13** transfer case

Hello,

I could soooo use your help. Nobody around seems familiar with the old BW13** quadratrac.

I have been trying to reassemble a quadratrac off and on for over a year now. Yesterday I think I may have found the issue. I took it to a "pro" about a year ago. I brought it home and let it sit for a month or so because I was busy with other things. I went to install it and the actual transfer case mounted fine. But when I tried to install the reduction unit, I couldn't get it to fit completely. It was about 1/4' away from the seal. I tried twisting and turning every which way but nothing. Then someone recommended taking off the end cover (PTO cover) off the reduction unit to turn it by hand. Tried that but no luck. Tried locking, neutral and unlocking the reduction unit etc but no luck.

This has been going on and off for over a year. Then yesterday I took everything off again and think I may have figured out the problem.

There is a snap ring that goes on the quadratrac itself that faces the reduction unit. Is that snap ring supposed to sit flush with the quadratrac? It looks like there is a space for the ring ears to sit in the case? But the ring is about 1/4" higher than the case. The snap ring is very much in the groove in the gear, but it sits about a 1/4" above the rest of the case. And that is about the distance that the reduction unit sits away from the tcase when I try to install it. The reduction unit does not contact the rubber sealing ring at all. Someone suggested installing the bolts and torquing them down to close the gap but I don't want to break off the ears of the cases.

I am sooo desperate to get my rig back on the road and can't get help anywhere. The guy that originally put it together for me is no longer there. I have scoured both the 77 TSM and the 74 TSM and haven't found anything.(Big thank you by the way for posting and hosting those).

This is all in a 1974 Jeep J10 with 360 and th400 trans. I have included some pics. Hopefully they help explain my situation.

Thank you

ps - i tried to upload some pics but because of a stupid technicality, this site won't let me upload them. They are jpg files and only 113kb- 132kb in size. Well below the 488 kb size limit of this site
Old 02-11-2022, 07:59 PM

Send message to. fullsizjeep. Flint is the Q-,Trac guru here.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Last edited by goldhammer : 02-12-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:34 AM
258 I6

Yeah, this site has to have a place to host the pics. I use https://imgbb.com/ Then you just copy and attach the BB code
Old 02-12-2022, 11:06 AM
out of order

https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm

Flint has his email address on there, not sure how often he visits here these days?
Old 02-12-2022, 11:27 AM
230 Tornado

Hi babywag,
I had tried contacting jubileejeeps b4 posting here.

Here's the reply I got -

The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<info@jubileejeeps.org>
(reason: 550 No Such User Here)
just an fyi for others...
Old 02-12-2022, 11:40 AM
230 Tornado

Hi Goldhammer,
I tried to pm Flint at fullsizjeep here and this is the message i got

The following users were not found:
  1. fullsizjeep
And at jubileejeeps as I posted b4.

Hope the guy is ok...
Old 02-12-2022, 11:43 AM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsj
Hi babywag,
I had tried contacting jubileejeeps b4 posting here.

Here's the reply I got -

The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<info@jubileejeeps.org>
(reason: 550 No Such User Here)
just an fyi for others...

you mispelled his username...

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/member.php?u=3211
Old 02-12-2022, 12:39 PM
230 Tornado

Done.
Thanks for the link babywag!
Old 02-12-2022, 01:13 PM

Sorry on the misspelling, my bad.
Thanks for catching it Tony

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Set the reduction unit aside. Take the snap ring off the shaft and set it aside. Reach into your reduction unit and pull out the planetary gear and put that on the shaft poking out the case. Once it is seated, you put the snap ring on to hold that planetary gear in place. Lastly, the reduction unit goes on. I usually find wiggling the reduction unit up, down, side to side works better than twisting.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 02-16-2022, 10:41 AM
230 Tornado

Thank you sir! What a difference some knowledge and experience makes!! Did as you said and it all came together nicely.

I'm going to hold off the final celebration until I get the new gaskets I ordered and install everything back in the truck. But I'm pretty confident this solved the issue.

I'll update this once I get my new gaskets and everything is back in place.

I can't thank you enough rang-a-stang!!
Old 02-24-2022, 01:53 PM
230 Tornado

!! WOOO HOO !!!! Got the Qtrac in!!!!!! Can't thank you enough !!!!

I do have another question though. While putting everything back together, I noticed the pto cover for the reduction gear is supposed to have a gasket according to the TSM. The gasket kit I got did not have one for the pto cover. Has anyone successfully used something else without getting leaks there? I wouldn't want to have gone through all this trouble only to have a leak again. It looks like the person who previously built this had an o ring on there.
ps - again tried to load a pic but ......sorry
Old 02-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Nah, no gasket. I just used a little bit of RTV on there. I use TheRightStuff.

BTW, I have gone through mine a couple times and it still leaks. Mine leaks at the shift lever right now and has leaked in other places. I HOPE TO THE GOOD LORD ABOVE that yours does not leak but don't feel completely deflated if it does.
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 02-26-2022, 10:29 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks rang-a-stang. I'll go get some right stufftoday.

Is there a bushing or something where the shifter is? (on the QT) I know I replaced several on the TH400 and it did stop the leaks.

I would be VERY disappointed if after all this time and effort it still leaked. But it is comforting knowing others have the same issues. I know machining tolerances weren't as precise back then as they are now. But the f%&*^ City people don't give a rats @$%. I'm sure if it leaks so much as a drop, they'll be back to let me know. But that is a whole other story. Thank you California.

Thanks again for all your help rang-a-stang! Good luck on your leak!
Old 02-26-2022, 05:49 PM
Administrator

No problemo, sir! Glad you are keeping your dude on the road! I think there is a couple O-rings in there but don't remember. I pretty much cried uncle on leaks these days. I have a gnarly one at my steering gear, the one on my case, and one of my transmission that I have been fighting for YEARS.
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 02-26-2022, 05:49 PM
Administrator

No problemo, sir! Glad you are keeping your dude on the road! I think there is a couple O-rings in there but don't remember. I pretty much cried uncle on leaks these days. I have a gnarly one at my steering gear, the one on my case, and one of my transmission that I have been fighting for YEARS.
00 Baby Cherokee