International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 05-06-2022, 08:30 PM
258 I6

Nice, the stainless steel will last forever.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 05-07-2022, 06:55 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
Nice, the stainless steel will last forever.

That's what I thought

But the old ones lasted 50 years so I really can't complain about them

Speaking of that... It just occurred to me that my truck is now officially 50 years old. It was built in May Of 1972 and is just about to roll over to 120,000 miles
Old 05-09-2022, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
...It just occurred to me that my truck is now officially 50 years old. It was built in May Of 1972 and is just about to roll over to 120,000 miles
Awesome! Only 25% complete with it's service life!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 05-12-2022, 03:37 PM
350 Buick

Monday I changed out the window lift track. It went reasonably well, just a few minor things. The new track is very tight with the seal and part of it cut the seal, which isn't a huge problem but it was a problem. I also had to remove the window from the door and actually hammer the track onto the window to get it installed, which wasn't something I really wanted to do but I doubt it will ever come out. The last thing is the window now sits slightly crooked which is strange, the aft part is noticeably lower than the front but it closes and doesn't leak so I guess it's ok.

Here is a picture of the old track

That 1/3rd to the right and hope were all that were holding it in. The old seal was some sort of fiber stuff which I'm sure held moisture.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Awesome! Only 25% complete with it's service life!

I certainly hope that's the case
Old 05-17-2022, 09:22 PM
304 AMC

cranky, just saw the shroud,....man the is some great work.
would love fuel injection, but I refuse to have a computer screen in my old rides, I refuse to even own a smartphone, so the computer controller is out of the question......but I admire your success with it.
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 05-18-2022, 08:15 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
cranky, just saw the shroud,....man the is some great work.
would love fuel injection, but I refuse to have a computer screen in my old rides, I refuse to even own a smartphone, so the computer controller is out of the question......but I admire your success with it.

Thank you,

It's funny, after I finished the shroud I was driving down the road with my wife when she pointed out that a road sign laying in the ditch was still there 6 months after she had told the company that left it there about it. That 4'x4' sign would have not only made a perfect shroud but also a good youtube video

I'd make another one out of it but the one I made seems to work just too well to justify it.

As far as the FI, I never really had that much trouble with the carb other than an extremely troublesome stumble when first stepping on the gas and a broken idle jet. The FI has essentially been the cause of several issues since I installed it but there is no stumble.

As far as the computer screen I never intended to keep it plugged in all the time but it has become so useful for spotting problems before they become big it quickly became a handy gauge that can be removed whenever I want the dash to look stock...after all the dash is one of the many things I like about the Kaiser era trucks over the AMC era and partly why I bought a '72.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:57 PM
304 AMC

10-4 cranky I understand,......hope you smooth out all issues with the F.I.
so you can unplug that screen and go back to 1972 !!!!! wouldn't that be nice compared to 2022 ???

take care
dave
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 05-20-2022, 09:30 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
10-4 cranky I understand,......hope you smooth out all issues with the F.I.
so you can unplug that screen and go back to 1972 !!!!! wouldn't that be nice compared to 2022 ???

take care
dave

It will always be 1972 in my truck but there are some things from '72 that I can do without, like points ignition. I've never liked points, my first truck would eat up a set of points every week before I changed it for HEI. I don't mind a carb if I can get it to run correctly but when I'm in a situation where I need to hit the gas and go it's a little nerve wracking when the truck decides to take it's time and hesitates for a second. That is the biggest improvement with the FI, when I need it to go it doesn't stop and think about first.

The screen is no big deal, I can unplug the screen any time with no issues and just plug it back in for troubleshooting if there is a problem, or even turn the holder around and keep it inside the glove box.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:53 PM
304 AMC

Hello -

just read your full thread.

you are a great story teller !

Nice job keeping the old iron on the road.

That takes dedication !!

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 06-25-2022, 05:39 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
Hello -

just read your full thread.

you are a great story teller !

Nice job keeping the old iron on the road.

That takes dedication !!

Thank you, I try to keep things entertaining.

If I were to do it over again I would have done a lot of things differently but I enjoy driving my truck every day...even though with current gas prices it cost about $2 a mile

Yesterday I stopped at a community garage sale and in the parking lot it got a lot of attention and I was asked twice if I wanted to sell it but if I sold it I'd just have to start all over again
Old 06-25-2022, 05:07 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Thank you, I try to keep things entertaining.

If I were to do it over again I would have done a lot of things differently but I enjoy driving my truck every day...even though with current gas prices it cost about $2 a mile

Yesterday I stopped at a community garage sale and in the parking lot it got a lot of attention and I was asked twice if I wanted to sell it but if I sold it I'd just have to start all over again

Cranky don't sell your Jeep if you don't have to
You gonna regret it till the end of days!

When I drove my j4000 after making it clean and good looking
A lot did ask if it was for sale.
I then said that they could make me a offer , but most of the times it was a low ball offer or really not a offer I could live with selling the truck for.

We all would do things differently with rebuilding it when we would have to do it a second time , it's some kind of learning process!
If I would have expected back in 03/04 that the truck could rust that much in fifteen years I would have had it sand blasted completely and did a better preparation before respray.

One of the thing I know for sure is that my 73' j4000 will stay till it's totally worn out and not repairable anymore and rusted into the ground.
Or till my end of days are near!

Keep up with writing about your cool 72' j4000 project and other things.
btw how is the Mercedes ponton doing ,or should I not ask about that?

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:23 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
Cranky don't sell your Jeep if you don't have to
You gonna regret it till the end of days!

When I drove my j4000 after making it clean and good looking
A lot did ask if it was for sale.
I then said that they could make me a offer , but most of the times it was a low ball offer or really not a offer I could live with selling the truck for.

We all would do things differently with rebuilding it when we would have to do it a second time , it's some kind of learning process!
If I would have expected back in 03/04 that the truck could rust that much in fifteen years I would have had it sand blasted completely and did a better preparation before respray.

One of the thing I know for sure is that my 73' j4000 will stay till it's totally worn out and not repairable anymore and rusted into the ground.
Or till my end of days are near!

Keep up with writing about your cool 72' j4000 project and other things.
btw how is the Mercedes ponton doing ,or should I not ask about that?

I know I would regret selling it if I did. It doesn't actually cost $2 a mile. At the current price of gas being over $5 it's more like 50 cents a mile but I love driving it so it's worth it

It's probably best not to ask about the Ponton but since you have...

Once I got the truck back together I planned on starting on the Mercedes but due to life it has kind of stalled out. Every time I try to get it to where we can work on it something else comes up. I've actually decided it would be much faster and cheaper to find one in better shape to start with and use this one for parts while doing the mods we want. I more or less have her sold on the idea but every time something comes up so does some sort of issue.

We missed a couple of really nice ones at bargain prices at Mecum a while back, one was black with a black interior and in really nice shape that sold cheap. If I had been paying attention she would have gotten that one and I'd swap the Buick engine into it. So I keep watching Mecum and hoping for a repeat but they don't come up very often.

There was a really nice one in Florida too at a good price but a dealer snapped it up and almost immediately relisted it at double the price.

I've seen several do that. One local one came up on ebay a year or two ago for $6,500 and a dealer snapped it up quickly and had it relisted for $22,000 having done nothing at all to it. A year later the price was reduced to $6,500 and they are only a few miles away so I talked Mrs. Cranky into going down with me to have a look. The interior was perfect, black, bucket seats, really nice shape but the outside was way worse than the pictures showed. The underside had a few issues as well and Mrs Cranky said "absolutely not!!!" I told her I could deal with the exterior and best of all we could drive it home but she wouldn't budge on it so that was a no.

There is currently one that looks very nice 2 hrs north of us but the seller seems reluctant to answer questions about it, like "is it rusty underneath?" It's white which is an issue, she loves the two-tone black/silver but would be ok with black, silver or burgundy...maybe burgundy and cream...(wait, then we'd have matching vehicles ) anything else would require a repaint and given the price of these it's not really worth the cost and effort of changing the color so we haven't gone and looked at it.

I figure the right one will come up in the right place at the right time.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:41 PM
350 Buick

I don't think I've mentioned this before but I had a little issue with my driver's window a while back.

If you remember when I replaced the window I mentioned how tight it was going into the new track and I think I said it should last a long time...well...it didn't. I've always had a problem with the window hanging up at a point when it's being rolled down and a while back it pulled out of the track. It quickly became obvious that it needed fixed.

Another problem I ran into was I had accidentally installed the window into the track backwards. I had no idea the direction mattered but with it backwards the back was noticeably lower than the front. I'm sure others must have mentioned it somewhere but it's worth noting that the safety glass marking must go aft for the window to sit right.

So yesterday I set out to fix those issues. I removed the wing window and took the roll up window out. The new seal in the track was completely trashed but with the warm weather we are finally having it had gotten soft and sticky and if it were whole it would probably finally have glued itself into place and no longer have been a problem. However, this left me with no seal.

So, I resorted to my old standby, expired aircraft sealant.

So, I grabbed a tube of expired sealant, masked off the window and the track, took some plastic washers to act as spacers to align the window and keep it from contacting the metal, filled the track with sealant, installed the window, cleaned it up and let it set up.

Once it was set up enough I reinstalled it and the wing window. The wing window fought me harder than it ever has, it simply did not want to go in but I eventually got it and somehow actually managed to get it adjusted so that stiff binding point is gone. Then I let it cure and it now works fine, looks great and I doubt it will ever come out even if I want it to
Old 07-15-2022, 09:09 AM
350 Buick

I've been waiting for nice weather to do some paint touch up on the truck. Basically I need to repaint the entire lower half of the left bed side and the cab roof where I got the paint a little thin when I originally painted it but there are also some rock chips and things like that that need addressed.

I had planned on doing this when I had a week off last April but the weather didn't cooperate so I adjusted my goal to the week of July 18-28th which I had managed to get off somehow this year. My plan was to start accumulating the supplies I need this week than jump on it Tuesday and hopefully get it al finished up Wednesday or Thursday but you know that old saying abut the best laid plans...

So...my work week this year is Wednesday through Sunday so as usual Wednesday being My Monday I went to work. No big issues and failed to pick up the stuff I need to do the paint touch up. Then Thursday I woke up with a sore throat which I thought wasn't a big deal but my work provides covid tests so when I got to work I asked the manager for one and sure enough I tested positive for Covid...again So I immediately informed my boss and covid protocols went into place. I was sent home for the next 4 days.

Today both my wife and I feel kind of crappy, her a bit worse than me. Basically I have what I would think was a cold if it weren't for the positive test.

It's kind of sucking my energy away but I think I'm going to try to get things set up and start prepping the truck for the touchup.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:19 AM
304 AMC

UGH.

That's a kick in the pants . . .

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 07-20-2022, 09:14 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
UGH.

That's a kick in the pants . . .

It is but more of a kick in the pants is that other more pressing matters are now going to take up the time I was planning on using to touch up the truck so I will now have to try to squeeze it in on a regular weekend.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:43 AM
350 Buick

It's now a few days into my official vacation. As i said my plan was to touch up paint on the truck but Covid and Mrs Cranky had other ideas. Somehow those ideas became a need for a new shed/tiny home for our son who is legally blind and has neurological issues that have gotten bad enough that he can no longer live on his own.

This has been in the works for a while but everything fell into place this week and we found ourselves on a very tight schedule. I had planned on just paying a shed company to come out and build one but when it came down to it they wouldn't build exactly what we wanted, somewhere something had to be sacrificed, like wall height, or floor joist or roof trusses not being what we wanted or spaced how we want them and dozens of other things that they were unwilling to change it to meet our needs. This left us with one course of action, to do it ourselves...well kind of.

Monday evening Mrs Cranky found a framer who wasn't too busy and said he could be out to assemble the shed Friday. This left us in a bit of a bind because even though I've known about it for some time I had not yet torn down the existing shed or even emptied it...yes I know, I'm a master procrastinator but there were some very good reasons I hadn't done it yet. #1 being I hadn't gotten the garage cleaned and #2 being I don't like the neighbor behind my house. They have a 2 story house with a deck that if there is no shed has an unobstructed view of my yard and I hate that, which is actually the reason I built the shed in the first place.

So now it was time to get in gear or else. We also hadn't ordered any of the materials to build the shed so the first order of business was to do that. We do have plans for it, real custom plans drawn up by a real architect that we had drawn up so we had an idea of what materials are needed but nothing had been ordered. So Mrs Cranky jumped on the computer and started working on getting the materials ordered and bright and early Tuesday we set about cleaning out and tearing down the shed and prepping for the new one.

The fastest thing to do would have been to take the sawzall and wrecking bar to it and just haul everything to the dump but of course I can't bring myself to do that. Not only is it extremely expensive, it's also wasteful when I can salvage many of the materials used in the existing shed and repurpose them. I had assembled the shed with screws so I set about disassembling it and saving what I could.

Then as it turned out the materials order was on shaky ground. Mrs Cranky was hoping to have everything delivered to make it fast and easy but the big box stores said they couldn't do it by Thursday So Mrs Cranky came up with plan B which was order the stuff from Home Depot and rent a truck from them and haul it home but they said it would take at least 5 trips with the truck costing $30 an hour plus gas and a whole lot of time. So on to plan C and the reason all of this is winding up in this thread, I said "Why are we renting a truck if we already have one?"

I'll admit I baby the truck but Mrs Cranky doesn't like it to be used for truck stuff at all, which is crazy but she worries about damage but she agreed. We also determined that even though Lowe's was more money it is closer so less gas, less time and less stress on the truck. So she made an order from Lowe's. She got most of it set up for delivery Friday well after the framer starts but we had to get enough to get them started in the mean time. So she ordered the basics and yesterday around 4 PM we headed over to pick them up only to find they hadn't gotten it prepped because they were out of the pressure treated 2x6x10s that their inventory showed they had 400 of and rather than email or call us to inform us they just didn't do anything and waited until we were there to pick it up to inform us. So Mrs Cranky said "Ok use 2x6x12s" but they were very confused about that and while trying to figure that out I went back there and asked about the big pile of different pressure treated 2x6x10s they had sitting there and it turned out they had plenty, they were just slightly different.

So, 2 hrs later we rolled out of there with 33 2x6x12s, a crap load of concrete blocks and various other things and Mrs Cranky told them "We'll be back for the 2x4s as soon as we get this unloaded."

We went home unloaded and headed back, it was now 7:30pm and there were other issues but we pulled up and they started loading the 2x4s...and then they kept loading...and loading...and loading. By the time they were finished it was well past 8 and I had 140 2x4 studs and 6 pressure treated 2x4x12s and I think my axle may have been bottomed out but I headed home and the truck handled it like a champ

I am concerned though, My owners manual says if I exceed the 5000 lbs gross weight it could void the warranty and I think I may have exceeded it slightly

Last edited by Crankyolman : 07-22-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
...I am concerned though, My owners manual says if I exceed the 500 lbs gross weight it could void the warranty and I think I may have exceeded it slightly
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!
You may need to actually take up one of those final courtesy notice calls before they close your file for your cars extended warranty!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
00 Baby Cherokee
Old 07-22-2022, 11:39 AM
258 I6

Nice work, and exactly what that truck was made to do!

I am sure your son is going to love his new place

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified