International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-17-2003, 12:22 PM

My TC seems to be leaking where the shifter shaft goes in...Cottman wants like $260 to R&R the case and replace the $5 seal...Will something like tranny stop leak work or should I bite the bullet? Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:48 PM

My shifter seal was leaking also. It cost $65 to fix at the local transmission shop.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Master Mechanic

Isn't that just a seal? I'm pretty sure you could do it on the vehicle rather easily.

Wow..$260? Geez...I've got to get into the tranny business!!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:15 PM

yeah! They want to remove the freakin xfer case...I am looking at it thinking that I can remove the set pin and slide that sucker out, replace the seal and I'm good to go. Has anyone taken a look at these parts? Anyone have a diagram?
Old 04-18-2003, 02:52 AM

C'mon, one of you must have replaced the hi/low shifter seal or have a diagram! PLEASE!!!I just can't bear to pay Cottman that much for installing a $5 part!

Thanks!!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Jeep Doctor

Well, then your option is to pull the case, disassemble it down to the point where you can remove the range-fork pivots, then punch out the old seal and tap in a new $5 seal. Then put it all back together and bolt it back in the truck.

Unlike the tranny shifter seal, which can be knocked out by simply removing the valve-body, the shifter shaft seal on the transfer-case can only be replaced by removing that shaft, and that shaft can only be removed by disassembling the transfer-case pretty comprehensively.

Still, though; that's below the fluid level, IIRC. How much is leaking? Until you need to rebuild the case, it may be worth your while to just keep it topped off.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:57 AM
Grease Monkey

'79 Grand Wagoneer Limited. Sounds like this truck would have an auto and Quadratrac. In which case, the high/low assembly comes off via 5? bolts and disconnect the linkage. The rest of the transfer stays in the car. I don't understand why this is an expensive or hard job. The Quadratrac is NOT hi-tech. Am I missing something here? If you were local, I'd have you come over bring your own fluid and seal and we'd replace it in my driveway. I'd hook you up with a diagram, but I just sent my shop manual out to another IFSJA member on Wednesday.
Dave N. --- 1979 Cherokee S NT. 360-Quadrajet/TH400/Quadratrac/D44x2 4.10\'s, ARB front,locrite rear, 35x12.50 BFG Mud-Terrains. Onboard Air,4\"Superlift,2\"body. Warn Winch. Slight body damage. <br />\"Born to Wheel\', Forced to Work.\"
Old 04-19-2003, 01:45 AM
Jeep Doctor

AH!!! I missed the year on that! I thought we were talking about the NP cases. My mistake.

In that case, it's a 2-banana, two-hour job since all you have to do is drop the reduction box extension. Yes, they are screwing you.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:30 AM

perfect! Thanks for the info. If I drop the reduction box, that should be pretty easy, right? No magical needle bearings or anything in there to worry about?

Once out I am guessing it is pretty straightforward. Is the seal a Jeep specific part or is it something Monument should have? Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2003, 03:31 AM

Oh yeah, I assume there is some gasket I'll need also. Anyone have the part numbers? Thanks again!