International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Gear Head

cutting metal and bumper advice

Couple of questions.

So i am totally having fun with my FSJ. Now i want to build a bumper for it. I have absolutely no metal fab experience and the best part is that i dont care how the bumper turns out... i want to do it myself! I just want a simple bumper... i have some pictures of what i want to do... but my question is... what thickness metal do i use... probably a stronger for the brackets that will bolt to the car and bumper. SO, second is... what is the cheapest best way to cut this metal cutoff?. And third... where does one get this metal....

I know i am over my head.. but i want to be...

Thanks,

Grant
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Call a local welding shop and start there if it was me.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM
350 Buick

I'm going through much the same thing. I have little fab experience, but I've got a welder, angle grinder and an active imagination. I want bumpers my way!

I'm probably going to stick with 1/8" in most areas with a few doubled spots and a few 1/4" pieces. I'll be coming off my existing burly receiver hitch in the rear as well as the frame mounts, so it'll have a strong base. I figure, if something can bend 1/8" thick steel in the configuration I'm putting it in, I've got more troubles to worry about than bent bumpers.

Cheapest, best way to cut metal? Make friends with someone who has a plasma cutter. You can do a lot with a standard angle grinder and a cutoff wheel (or 10). There are also metal cutting circular saws if you want to cut up a bunch of sheet. Cutoff saws if you're sticking to box tube or round tube.

Around here there's a metal supply company that has all kinds of good stuff. You just walk in the door and try not to melt your credit card.
15x10 black steel wagon wheels & 33x12.5 Kumho Venture MTs
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 PM

I used 3/16" 2x4 tube for my rear, and 1/4" for the front bumper. Flint has them now. Ask him how he likes them. I slammed the bumper into rocks on several occaisions and never had a problem.

I butt welded two short 2x4 sections to the main channel to create mounting "brackets" that bolt on like the original. A friend taught me to add a washer as a spacer when fitting them up and tack welding. It worked like a charm. Not too tight, not too loose.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Rabble Rouser

railroad tie and some grade 8 bolts, sawzall and a drill. All ya need
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Grease Monkey

I am with ya BigRed.
Look into places like Harbor Freight. You can get a cheap 4 1/2" grinder for $10-$15 bucks and buy there cheapo cutoff wheels. If your not making your living with them they are actually a pretty good deal.

Most job shops(machine and welding) will sell you steel or if you have a big steel distributer in your area they will have a "drop" pile. Ask to look thru that then you get it buy the lb and its new.

If you dont want to buy a cheap welder you can rent one. I see even my local Home Depot has a little welder in their rental section now.

And the biggest piece of advice of all. Invest in some safety gear!!
Safety glasses, a face shield, quality leather gloves. leather shoes, etc. Especially the glasses. Trust me, over 15 years as a machinist and i have seen many a guy rushed to the eye doctor because they were not using glasses.(one on my biggest pet peeves with Orange County Chopper type shows...Where are your friggin safety glasses!?)

And like he said.....Have fun! Nothing like workin the molten metal.

And
'79 J-10 360ci,t400,D300, SOA-D60w/ARB, 14B w/Detroit,4:56s, 37" TRXUS
'06 Ford F250 super duty crew cab
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Cherokee Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
railroad tie and some grade 8 bolts, sawzall and a drill. All ya need

My dad told me to do that once...I now know where I got my redneck side from
AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed
Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Gear Head

anyone have any pictures of the railroad tie bumper?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwdsn
And the biggest piece of advice of all. Invest in some safety gear!!
Safety glasses, a face shield, quality leather gloves. leather shoes, etc. Especially the glasses.

Definitely!! This is a must! In fact, I wish I would have started out welding and grinding with a leather coat too (They're only ~$26 at HF). And those mechanix gloves will not stop steel filings flying off of an angle grinder at Mach 1.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Grease Monkey

I bought just bought 10 foot of 2x4 3/16" thick here for 51 bucks, and a piece of drop they had of 3x5 angle iron for the winch mount for 7 bucks. A little time and some grindin' and you got a bumper
360/727/sadly a 229 for now
Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 AM
FSJ Maniac

Have fun cutting 2x4 tubing with an angle grinder! Get a metal chop saw, or if you have a wood chop saw..toss a metal wheel on (not recommended ruins saw after awhile).
Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389
Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper
Have fun cutting 2x4 tubing with an angle grinder!

Do you or does anyone else have any ideas how to make a nice clean cut down the length of a 2x4 (or larger) piece of 1/8" wall tube? I have reason in my design to do such a thing. I hate to bug the guy I know with the plasma and I think there'd be a lot of cleanup afterwords. I'm thinking of trying one of those metal cutting circular saws with the carbide tipped blade (not an abrasive disk), but I don't really have an idea how well those work. If they work okay, I've got more pieces I want to cut from 1/8" and 1/4" sheet.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:15 PM

The angle grinder with a cutting wheel is my preffered method. Once you learn how, the wheels last much longer than you would think. Until you figure out the best way to use it, yes it will eat wheels like their going out of style. I use the thin .045" thick wheel's for cutting. Basically make sure you use the edge of the disc to cut and never use the faces of it as in grinding. That's what eats wheels. As long as you stay straight and use only the edge it works fantastic.

For straight cuts where I can I use the bandsaw, but everything else gets the grinder.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Grease Monkey

cut it with a torch and if your too shaky use a piece of angle iron for a guide
360/727/sadly a 229 for now
Old 12-13-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarblestone
Couple of questions.

So i am totally having fun with my FSJ. Now i want to build a bumper for it. I have absolutely no metal fab experience and the best part is that i dont care how the bumper turns out... i want to do it myself! I just want a simple bumper... i have some pictures of what i want to do... but my question is... what thickness metal do i use... probably a stronger for the brackets that will bolt to the car and bumper. SO, second is... what is the cheapest best way to cut this metal cutoff?. And third... where does one get this metal....

I know i am over my head.. but i want to be...

Thanks,

Grant

I'm not an expert but I have 30 plus years experience in the Sheet Metal Workers union. A skinny wheel and offset grinder is the cheapest way. Not the safest. I have spent at least a hundred hours using one. Many more with a sawzall and chop saw. They are very good to have and eaiser to handle for most people. If you have no experience let me tell you this. For the skinny wheel grinder method, invest in safety gear and use them. You'll need a leather jacket and heavy leather gloves, goggles, face sheild, ear plugs, dust mask and have at least one fire extinguisher. I have never had problems with using them, only without. After the safety gear, then get a cheap offset grinder and a couple dozen cut off wheels from Harbor Freight. Use the cut off wheel with the blade verticule and spinning so it pulls the grinder away from you. Do not force pressure on the wheel, the weight of the grinder is enough to cut, just guide it along your cut line. Go back and forth and keep the blade shallow, do not let the blade drop into the cut slot. Remember, a wheel can come apart and fly pieces into your face, so try and not be in the line of fire. 3/16" iron is plenty thick for bumpers and 90% of brackets needed on JEEPS. A good design is always better than a poor one. For metal, look in the yellow pages under STEEL for suppliers. Lastly, I'm an healthy old fart and got that way because of safe work practices. I know you won't follow my advice about all the safety gear. We all learn the hard way, just hope your lessons aren't to costly. willysworker