International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 AM

So I finally found some bearings for my Dana 60/2 rear axle.(have an extra set if anyone needs them. Know I'm faced with the problem of fabricating rear disk breaks to replace the missing 12inch drums. I have about 1/2 a clue about how to get stated. I figured that I could head to my lock junk yard and look for a rotor for a cj-7 or anything with a 5.5 bolt pattern. I was just wondering if anyone that has done this before and could give me a few pointers. Also I was wonder if the break drums off my 1968 wagoneer would work since it has the 5.5 bolt pattern. I haven't really looked at it, but I know that the drums for my dana 44 is 11inch instead of 12in. Could I just use my drums off my Dana 44 for the Dana 60-2?? Backing plate and all????
any information would be great. Thanks again guys
Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
JB Welder

Where did you find the parts for the D60-2?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Delightfully Incompetent

how many bolt holes are on the tube flange? it's the flange that the backing plate bolts to.
Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM
FSJ Maniac

if it's five lug, look into Ford 9-inch brake parts. cheap and easy to get.

m715 ex-firetruck
**project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 AM

Ok, So every one thinks that the best way to get breaks for my Dana 60-2 is to take a set of drums off a rear ford 9 inch. I was really hopeing to use my drums from my dana 44 or go disk. I've seen a couple of web sites explaining how to do it. The only problem is they never specify how they fabricate the backing plates

Anyways better answer a few questions.

Jobe, I have an extra set of bearings and space locks for the end nut. Put a cry out in the wanted section and I'll offer you what I have. As for the shop, it went out of business and just happened to have two sets in the back.

J10 Mike, There are six bolts holding the break drum backing plate to the tube flange. I'll have to look and see if its the same for my Dana 44's.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Gear Head

Putting rear disc's on a 60-2 rear axle is not hard to do at all, probably easier than most other semi-float rear ends. Gets kind of lengthy after this paragraph.

You've all ready got the expensive stuff, the bearings, retaining collars and seals.
The other parts you will need are;
GM 1/2 ton 4x4 caliper mounts (or 74-up FSJ ones)and calipers, (These have the same 6 bolt bolt pattern where the spindle and caliper mount bolt to the knuckle and the 6 bolt pattern that retains the axle into the housing.) Ford 1/2 ton front brake rotors (75-late 80's), Ford 1/2 ton 4x4 wheel studs (same years as rotors). Plus you will need about 1/4 inch longer axle retaining bolts, the ones that hold the rear axle into the housing (6 per side).

1. Remove the old bearing, retaining collar and seal from axle shaft.
2. Get a new Ford F150 4x4 brake rotor, (75-late 80's). Have inner hub hole machined out to fit around shoulder on back-side of wheel flange.
3. install new modified rotor on back-side of wheel flange, using new wheel studs, just like on a front disc brake hub and rotor assembly. (I don't remember what wheel studs I used, but I think it was probably the stock Ford ones) Also, after rotor is installed, you will need to remove some material from the rotor where the access hole is in the wheel flange for getting at the axle retaining bolts. I used a high speed air drill and a carbide rotorary file bit.
4. Now take the old drum brake backing plates and cut the centers out of them, saving the centers and cutting them down to the same outside diameter as your axle retaining flange.
5. Now take the GM caliper brackets and have the center hole bored out to fit over the axle tube where the tube is expanded out for the wheel bearings and behind the flange on the housing. Then cut out a section of the bolt ring area on the caliper bracket to form a "C" shape that will just slip over the axle tube around the smaller portion of the tube. Do not cut out anymre than necessary.
6. Now re-assemble the axle, bearings and seals, just as stock. 1)Axle retaining flange 2)cut down backing plate 3)outer axle seal 4) new wheel bearing 5) new wheel bearing retaining collar.
7. Now knock the old axle retaining bolts out of the axle housing, slip modified caliper bracket over axle tube and and slide into place behind flange on end of axle tube. Position them however you want your brake caliper placed. Put the new longer retaining bolts through caliper bracket and flange on axle tube. Note, you will need to modify the heads of the new retaining bolts to match how the old ones look.
8. After replacing inner axle seal, install axle with assembled bearings and seals and rotor etc. into housing just like stock and bolt into place with the 6 retaining bolts.
9. install calipers and brake pads and bleed brakes. Note, the rotor and caliper alignment may not be right on. You may have to run a slightly "used" brake pad on one side of the rotor. Or you may be able to massage the caliper bracket enough to be able to run new pads on both sides.

This works really well and really isn't all that hard, just requires a little bit of machining to a couple of parts. Rotor and caliper bracket and old backing plate. I've done this on two different J4000 Dana 60-2 rear ends, if you have anymore questions please ask them. I'll see if I can get some pictures soon. I am going strictly off memory on these instructions so I may be off or forgot something.

baja

[ January 25, 2006, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: baja ]

JEEPS-N-Stuff:
1998, Grand Cherokee, dd.
1987, Grand Wagoneer, Pimped, totalled by hail storm...
1977, CJ5
1976, J10
1949, Willys Jeepsterrr
1948, Willys Jeep truck
1942, Ford 1-1/2ton, Marmon-Herrington 4x4
Old 01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Gear Head

Oh ya,
I'm kind of interested in your extra set of wheel bearings too.
baja

JEEPS-N-Stuff:
1998, Grand Cherokee, dd.
1987, Grand Wagoneer, Pimped, totalled by hail storm...
1977, CJ5
1976, J10
1949, Willys Jeepsterrr
1948, Willys Jeep truck
1942, Ford 1-1/2ton, Marmon-Herrington 4x4
Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Gear Head

sorry to dig up an old thread. You still around Baja? Can you send me some of those pics? I am going to do this to my d60-2 and would love any help I can get!

"Grandpas" 1979 J-10 resto/mod-on hold for now

Preparing for Ouray 2013!!!!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutcho
sorry to dig up an old thread. You still around Baja? Can you send me some of those pics? I am going to do this to my d60-2 and would love any help I can get!

He is still semi active. Your best bet is to send him a private message though.

1981 J10 AMC 258 with TFI and Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with a BJ's Aluminum Radiator, T176, NP208, D44/M23 with 4.56 gears and Detroit Locker, 6" lift, 33x12.50 TSL's, BJ's Offroad Rear Bumper.

1975 Cherokee *Sold*
1989 XJ Limited *Sold*
2005 KJ Limited 3.7, 42RLE, NP242
2008 JK 3.8, 6sp, NP241, 2.5", 33's, 4.56's