International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-21-2002, 05:45 AM

Question

Hi,

I finally figured out where my tranny is leaking, after putting on 3 pan gaskets. I figured I was over torqueing the pan bolts, but.

Someone told me that there was a seal on the shifter shaft, that may be leaking.

How does one change that? I dont even see it. I can put my hand on it, but only if I twist my arm and shouler where I am looking the opposite direction of the Jeep.

Thinking of drilling a good sized hole in the floor board, and then miging it back when I am done.

Thought I would try here first, to see if anyone else has lived this nightmare. Thanks
Old 12-21-2002, 01:08 PM
Master Mechanic

I believe if you do a search you'll find this and the fact that you have to change the seal(Ithink it's an "o" ring)from the inside.Iv'e got the same problem.First I changed out my pan(lucked out at a trans shop for a very good used bead blasted 1 for $20) because 2 of the holes where oblonged from letting the pan hang from them to drain(I shouldn't complain cause it shows at least the fluid was changed)and it leaked from there.I wiped everything down and traced the leak to the same spot as your's.
\'95 Jimmy SLS 4 door 4wd 4.3 CPI/Auto<br />\'89 Grand Am LE 2 door<br />\'88 Grand Wagoneer sadly had to sell<br />\'92 CapriXR2 Turbo/Accel TFI coil<br />\'70 Monte Carlo SS454 107,000 original miles -sad to say but had to sell her<br />Had a \'79 Cherkee S 10 years ago and wish I still did
Old 12-21-2002, 02:28 PM
Jeep Doctor

You don't say what year your truck is, or what tranny.

If it's a TF727, then the replacement won't be too hard. You'll have to remove the trans-pan.

Luckily for you, Jeep already has a big hole in the floor for transmission service; unbolt your front seats and pull up your carpet, and you'll see the outline of the access cover and the 3/8"-headed bolts all around.

Remove that cover, then remove the shift-lever and kickdown lever from the shaft. Then you'll be able to remove the shafts from the bottom, then drive out the old seal and install the new one.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:38 PM

I picked up another seal and it looks very simular to a front seal, but smaller. It was $5 for it, the mechanic there gave me a remover that threads in the old seal,then a bolt thru the top of it to tighten against the head of the shaft, pulling it out.

The installer looks like a socket, goes over the shaft and then you smack it with a hammer to install the seal.

Only none of the tools will fit, especially the one you have to use a hammer with. I came to the conclusion that these tools only work if the tranny is out.

That cover pan is a good idea, but I still dont think it will leave me enough room still for the hammer tool. Hmmmmm