International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-28-2006, 09:43 AM

My dome light has no power, the floor lights work with door open so I assume broken wire. I read on a previous post that a common place for broken wire is behind the driver seatbelt.

So, I pulled back the carpet (revealed more rust than I was prepared for), removed the seatbelt and there are 2 sets going up the wall there.

The first set is a tightly bundled set in good shape. The other set was 2 wires with some strange set of rubber connectors about the size of a pencil eraser that are totally corroded and broken apart. Are these the dome light wires? If not, what are they?

thanks for any help
Rob
Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

That's what I found. I cut off the corroded connectors & spliced in the two wires coming back to the pillar from the dash and viola! the dome light worked.
360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
Manual windows/locks/seats
Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 AM

Thanks, any idea what those connectors are for?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Always Broke

Probably made the installation easier. The wiring for the roof may have been put on sometime early in the production process with the other wires added later?

Also, my dome light has an always hot wire for the map lights. Just a FYI
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
232 I6

I had the same problem but it turned out that there is a male/female plastic connector on the floor down behind the brake pedal. That got disconnected when I replace the kick panels and what happened was that the dash lit up fine but no dome light.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:41 AM

I just got back to this wiring problem today. Back to those green smeared bullet connectors... there are 2 bullet connectors there, one has one wire, the other 2, so when I cut the connectors off, I am left with 5 wires. I experimented with a few different combinations, then it got too dark to see (no garage). So, I thought I would re-consult the experts here.

What's the recommendation for these 5 wires?

thanks!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Man, hasn't been that long but can't remember exactly....I had a brown and a black wire coming back to the pillar under the carpet from the dash. I cut one bullet connector off first and spliced one of the brown/black wires to whatever was hanging there & then cut the other connector off and spliced the other wire & it worked as it should from door switches and headlight switch. I'm not sure how I decided which wire to splice, but I'd see (when it's light enough) if the wires hanging from the connectors you removed are color matched to the ones you're trying to splice back in.
After reading this, it sure doesn't seem too helpful, but it's the best I got. Hopefully andy d will see this. He's done the fix to 5 wags I think.
360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
Manual windows/locks/seats
Old 03-04-2006, 11:49 AM

btt
Old 03-05-2006, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the replies - got it working, black wire to 2 blacks - brown to brown. Seemed obvious enough. There was another break in the wire near the front seat, once I patched that, all the lights went on.