International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Master Mechanic

exactly what the title says.

benjamin
4" Rusty's lift 32x11.5 BFG KM, 1.5" block rear MSD/TFI, Pioneer sound
'85 grill, '78 WT wheels
houston, tx
hermanbloom79@yahoo.com
"if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall
Old 04-08-2003, 02:07 PM
BJ's Off-Road

What you have in your dash should be an Ammeter. And yes, you can replace it. You can actually alter one so that it bypasses the problem our jeeps have with the ammeter's burning up. But, it's far easier to just buy a new one that is aftermarket. Also, it's a good idea to buy a voltmeter, and mount it in the engine compartment. Do a search using my member number about upgraded wiring.....should explain it all.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:24 PM
FSJ Maniac

An ampmeter, in general, is a bad idea regardless of the make or model. Car manufacturers have caught on to this, and quit making them. If yours is malfunctioning, bypass it now, or you will be driving a toasty one very soon. To bypass...there will be two wires going into the meter, one on each terminal. Take the nuts off, hook both wires around one terminal, put both nuts on it really tight. Pretty simple job to save your investment.

Then just get an aftermarket volt gauge, hook it up, and your set.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Master Mechanic

well, here's a question, is there anyone who sells a ammeter sending unit? I mean, couldn't you put an ammeter near the battery, and then just send low voltage to a needle on the dash? Ideally it'd be nice if you could replace a stock ammeter with this setup, or convert one.

Formerly 88GW, 79 J10, 81J10, 99WJ
Old 04-08-2003, 04:24 PM

I'm sure a gauge repair shop can rebuild your stock voltmeter(yes it's a voltmeter not an ampmeter) but it's not really worth it unless you're doing a 100 pt resto. Just get one from another 87(?) up Wag. The earlier ones had amp gauges. Or mount an aftermarket one and run your existing wires to the new gauge. But you should be able to get a whole used instrument cluster for $40 or so.

[ April 08, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: -joe ]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Grease Monkey

Yes you can purchase an aftermarhet ammeter and install the shunt(sending unit) in what can be deemed a more logical/safer place in the engine bay.
Cannot really see how you could convert the original, you'd have to take it apart and somehow remove its internal shunt and replace with external shunt of equal resistance. Could be done I guess, but this is not an issue for you because as Joe said you have a voltmeter.
Its a shame that car manufacturers couldn''t figure out a safe way to install ammeters because they do give a better indication on your charging status/load status.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

If you want to keep your VOLTMETER in the stock location on the dash, just find another to replace it(stock that is). If you don't care about that just buy an aftermarket one and mount it where you please. Thats what I'm going to do as mine doesn't read even close to correct.

[ April 09, 2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: tuckers89GW ]
Old 04-09-2003, 03:40 AM
Master Mechanic

yes it is a voltmeter. i have a '91. i guess i will go aftermarket on this one. i would like to keep it stock but i don't know i that is cost effective. thanks

benjamin
4" Rusty's lift 32x11.5 BFG KM, 1.5" block rear MSD/TFI, Pioneer sound
'85 grill, '78 WT wheels
houston, tx
hermanbloom79@yahoo.com
"if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall
Old 04-09-2003, 07:19 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

how much is a stock voltmeter..... not too much, worth checking the yards.... or calling your jeep dealer

let's see if a ignition lock is $14 at the zone and the dealer is $60, then a stock voltmeter should be about $60

Michel

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work